What Does It All Mean? : A Very Short…

What Does It All Mean? : A Very Short Introduction to Philosophy (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Thomas Nagel

Member:JoshEnglish
Title:What Does It All Mean? : A Very Short Introduction to Philosophy
Authors:Thomas Nagel
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (1987), Edition: New Ed, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:philosophy, solipsism, free will,

What Does It All Mean?: A Very Short Introduction to Philosophy by Thomas Nagel (1987)

An excellent little book introducing nine major philosophical questions, including the mind-body problem, free will and death. Nagel focuses on clarifying the questions, without muddying the discourse. Periodically he gives his own opinion to the question at hand, but not without urging the reader to come to their own conclusions. He doesn't waste any space bringing in historical references, or citing other philosophers. This book is all about bringing the questions themselves to light. I found the book to be clear and concise, and I'm sure I'll reread it soon, just to solidify the concepts within my own mind. "What Does It All Mean?" is my first exposure to Nagel, and I look forward to reading some of his more esoteric works. ( )
  hayduke | Apr 3, 2013 |
Straightforward philosophical review of several fundamental questions: How do we know anything, where does consciousness reside, what is the meaning of words, is there free will, what is right and wrong, is there justice, how should we think about death, and...what is the meaning of life (sigh...answer is NOT 42 - can you imagine that?) Love that it closes with a seeming injunction against taking ourselves too seriously, for then we tag life as both potentially meaningless AND absurd. Wish I'd had this prof at NYU! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Nagel ( )
1 vote Anraku | Feb 5, 2012 |
Clear, concise introduction to philosophical issues without jargon. Not without it's biases though, since Nagel is a practicing philosopher with his own takes on different issues. Make sure you see where he goes from introduction of the issue to his own arguments, which are very good ones. ( )
  hampusforev | Jan 17, 2012 |
A very good, easy-to-read, and short book. ( )
  vegetarian | Oct 20, 2011 |
Bibliografia complementar.
  monitorcientifico | Jan 16, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195052161, Paperback)

In this cogent and accessible introduction to philosophy, the distinguished author of Mortal Questions and The View From Nowhere sets forth the central problems of philosophical inquiry for the beginning student. Arguing that the best way to learn about philosophy is to think about its questions directly, Thomas Nagel considers possible solutions to nine problems--knowledge of the world beyond our minds, knowledge of other minds, the mind-body problem, free will, the basis of morality, right and wrong, the nature of death, the meaning of life, and the meaning of words. Although he states his own opinions clearly, Nagel leaves these fundamental questions open, allowing students to entertain other solutions and encouraging them to think for themselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:38 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,325,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible