Thinning the Herd: Tales of the Weirdly…

Thinning the Herd: Tales of the Weirdly Departed (2008)

by Cynthia Ceilan

A fascinating look at all the weird ways in which people die. ( )
  lpg3d | Jun 22, 2010 |
Meh. This doesn't really stand out from the many other books on the same topic. Many of the "weird" deaths seemed pretty ordinary to me, and I saw one factual error that, as ever, made me doubt the accuracy of the book as a whole. This was okay, but there are other ones that are better. ( )
1 vote meggyweg | Mar 6, 2009 |
Made me think of my own mortality and if I would go in one of these ways. Couldn't finish the book after those thoughts. ( )
  KimmyKay | Jan 13, 2009 |
Ceilan has researched her way into a delightfully entertaining collection of snippets of the last moments of people's lives. Both the rich, famous and powerful and the unknown Who?, the book treats each and every person equally, smartly stating the facts and letting us, the readers, ooohh and ahhh and "What the Heck?" Definitely worth a read. ( )
  lildrafire | Jul 12, 2008 |

Dark humour about those who have removed themselves from the gene pool. An irreverent compendium of accidental deaths caused by astonishing stupidity, embarrassing irony and/or really bad luck, including: - The hospital in India that faced a strange epidemic when patients kept dying on Fridays - and then discovered the weekly housekeeper was disconnecting life support systems in order to plug in her vacuum cleaner - Conqueror Attila the Hun, who died of a nosebleed on his wedding night - Jean-Louis Toubon, who choked to death on his girlfriend's edible panties.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,137,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible