Eternity, Volume 4 by Park Jin-Ryong

Eternity, Volume 4

by Park Jin-Ryong

312,001,085 (3)None

This review was originally written for the website ListerX.com, which is now defunct. It can also be found on my blog, The Graphic Librarian.

Cover
Well, I have to admit that out of all the covers in the series to date, this is by far the best. The gray bricks accent the central image without overpowering it and the worn, weathered appearance is subtle enough that, unlike previous volumes, details are gained instead of lost. I also like this cover more because the yellow and green color scheme FINALLY matches and compliments the central image. Now, don't get me wrong, I still can't help but prefer the French covers I've seen online, but I also can't bring myself to rate volume 4's cover as low as the others since it's definitely a step up.

Artwork
As usual, the artwork is crisp and clean and has few areas that appear unfinished and/or sloppy. I also noticed that the characters' comic "out-takes" seemed much more subtle in this volume. I think it was due to the fact that the scenes in which they appeared seemed more appropriate to me than in previous volumes, thus I didn't notice them as often.

What I did find myself paying attention to were the chapter divider images. Maybe they're getting better or maybe I just hadn't bothered to notice them before, but there are some great individual shots of the main characters just hanging out and/or relaxing. I'm not saying you should go out and buy this volume just for the dividers, but if you enjoy beautiful artwork as much as I do, these are definitely worth a look.

Probably the last thing of note is an amazing fight between Jangbang and several members from the Gang of Six. When Jangbang becomes possessed by his past soul, Jang-bi, all hell breaks loose! With Aram doing her best to keep Jangbang's body from being completely taken over, this scene is visual eye-candy for anyone who loves lots of fast-paced action.

Plot
**Possible Spoilers Warning**

Once again Jangbang is the central character of this volume and with only one volume left to go I'm beginning to fear that the other main characters will receive no time at all in the spotlight. But I suppose that's one of the curses of a short series with lots of characters; there's just not any time to develop them all. This volume briefly focuses on Jojo and a minor character from volume 3. However, their scene sheds very little light onto Jojo's intentions, and the man continues to remain a mystery. If it weren't for Aram's declaration of him as a negative force earlier in the series I would be more inclined to think of him as a protagonist rather than an antagonist. Though I think, when it comes right down to it, the only side Jojo is on is his own. So, he continues to watch and scheme, while everyone else continues to wonder what he's really up to.

Meanwhile, Yubin is helping Jangbang woo the girl he was setup with at the end of volume 3. However, as far as Yubin is concerned, you can't get something for nothing and he's hoping that he'll receive a nice new video game out of the deal. Unfortunately, this doesn't go exactly as planned and while Jangbang is making a complete fool of himself in front of the girl, Yubin is being beaten to a bloody pulp by members from the Gang of Six. Then, using Yubin as bait, they convince Jangbang to meet them alone. When the fight begins it's not exactly clear who's winning. However, just as things take a turn for the worse, Jangbang's reincarnated soul, Jang-bi, takes matters into his own hands and the real fight begins.

There's also short interlude with the Gang of Six where it seems they're finally beginning to catch up with Jojo, but will it do them any good? Not only that, they've also pulled an ace from their sleeve - an intense and emotionless fighter named Sashim. . . who just happens to be Jangbang's new love interest. So, who's side is she on, anyway?

Content Warnings
Language = Yes.

Violence = Yes.

Nudity = No.

Sexual Situations = Does one accidental groping count?

Ratings
Cover - 5/10 - Well, it did get a little better...

Artwork - 8/10 - As wonderful as always, no real complaints.

Plot - 7/10 - The plot thickens, but can it all be resolved in just one more volume?

Overall - 7/10 - Okay, I admit it, I'm hooked. . . but should it really have taken 4 volumes to get me there?! ( )
  purpledragon42 | Oct 12, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,743,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible