A Ticket to Ride by Paula McLain

A Ticket to Ride (2008)

by Paula McLain

Beautiful prose, propelling story.

An evocative start: "It was August. For years it was August."

And an equally profound (near)end line: "Was there anything sadder than starting your life?"

Paula McLain is also a poet. I can't wait to read her poems. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
I really liked this coming of age story about a girl and her cousin. The characters were well developed and the story was fun and interesting. I would highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Good book based on a teenager's life in early 1970's and the really bad choices she makes. Would be a good cautionary tale for older teens. ( )
  litelady-ajh | Oct 5, 2008 |
For Connor, Fiona, and Beckett
It was August. For years it was August.
We heard the cicadas all that summer, but their song seemed densest in August. The month that was like thirty-one Sundays stretched end to end to end.
I can't explain it properly, except to say something in Fawn made something in me right again. With her I wasn't the tragic girl who kept her asthma inhaler in her lunch box, who read too much and spent too much time alone and was sad all the time.
Fawn was like a magic potion, a walking, talking human elixir who made everything all right even when it was dead wrong. This is why I couldn't walk away—even when the summer went to shit, when I knew she was tugging me toward absolute disaster, when I knew Fawn would betray me as quick as look at me.
As I handled the pages, an unspoken question seemed to move back and forth between me and the gray faces of my estranged family, and that question was, Who are you?
They had a farmhouse ten miles outside of Bakersfield, which was built by somebody's father's father and looked it. Pocked yellow paint shed itself in long strips. The front porch was hangdog, and sets of four-paned windows pitched in and toward each other like tired eyes. It was a house to be old in, that seemed done-in by simply standing still, holding its bones together.

"It was August. For years it was August . . . . There was heat like wet gauze and a high, white sky and music coming from everywhere at once."

In the long, hot Illinois summer of 1973, insecure, motherless Jamie falls under the dangerous spell of her older, more worldly cousin Fawn, who's come to stay with Jamie and her uncle as penance for committing an "unmentionable act." It is a time of awakenings and corruptions, of tragedy and loss, as Jamie slowly discovers the extent to which Fawn will use anything and anyone to further her own ends—and recognizes, perhaps too late, her own complicity in the disaster that takes shape around them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

Mesmerized by her older cousin Fawn, who has been sent to live with Jamie's family after a sex scandal involving a teacher, Jamie agrees to a makeover in order to win Fawn's approval but finds herself torn between her sexually awakened new self and the girl she used to be.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,506,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible