I Want a Hug by John Rowe

I Want a Hug

by John Rowe

For the book “I want a hug” I had mixed feelings about the characters, plot, and illustrations. When it comes to the characters of this piece, I was able to form an emotional bond with the main character, Elvis, quite easily. It is hard to not get attached to a small creature walking around, hoping for someone to give him an “itsy bitsy little hug”. It makes it easier to get attached because he is being ignored for a trait that he cannot control, something that is easily relatable to most readers.
For the plot of this story, it seemed a bit inappropriate for a older group of children. Throughout school, we reiterate that public affection is not sometime for school, so having a book that is about a hedgehog and an crocodile kissing at the end may not be the most best way to set an example. Although, the first half of the book where Elvis is being discriminated because he appears dangerous could be used in a positive manner.
Lastly, when it came to the language of this book, it is a big off-putting. The weird jagged lines creating some of the characters, especially the giraffe in particular, made them unpleasant to view. Although it may a personal preference, I would most certainly consider the harsh, unpleasing illustrations when choosing a book to read.
The big idea of this book was to show that eventually if someone keeps looking for people with similar wants and interests then eventually they will find someone that they can get along with. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 069840064X, Hardcover)

From the zany imagination of John A. Rowe comes the story of a little hedgehog-like creature named Elvis, who just wants to be hugged. Poor Elvis is so prickly that no one wants to go near him. "Please," he asks, "won’t someone give me a hug?" Everywhere he goes he sees hugs—in the city, in the park, in the forest—but no one anywhere will give him one. Just as he’s about to give up, he hears someone crying out, "Won’t someone give me a kiss?" It’s Colin the crocodile, and he’s so ugly that no one will kiss him. The two become instant pals, with hugs and kisses aplenty. Here is an adorable book about what it means to reach out to someone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:46 -0400)

A little hedgehog-like creature named Elvis just wants to be hugged, but he is so prickly that no one wants to go near him--that is, until he hears an ugly crocodile crying out.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,028,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible