D-e-d Dead! by Geoffrey McGeachin

D-e-d Dead!

by Geoffrey McGeachin

As I've already read this I will leave the original review below. While I enjoyed the book a second time, I didn't enjoy it as much as when I originally read it. That is partly because I noticed more things that troubled me slightly about the writing, and found the novel less humorous. While the latter could just have been my current mood, the former was related to how female characters were described. I understand that this is meant to be a Bond-esque spy novel with Aussie larrikin traits, but it still came off as a little misogynistic.

Although, now having read more of McGeachin's books, I did appreciate more of the in world references to other books in his oeuvre.

I read the sequel to this book last year - DED and Kicking - and loved it. It was fast paced, humorous and tickled my inner Aussie. Geoff really knows how to set up a quick read thriller.

I read the last book in roughly an afternoon and that is roughly how long this one took to read as well. Even at 300 pages it literally flew past. Very enjoyable Sunday afternoon read.

One thing that should be noted though is that Geoff loves Australia and Asia, is not big on politicians and America. He writes with as much Aussie vernacular as possible, which is less prevalent here than in his other novel. This can be off-putting to some readers, but it is worth embracing for a fun read. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
This is my second of Geoff McGeachin's books and it's was as entertaining as the first. An appreciation of Australian humor and our laconic attitude to life is a necessity if you chose to read this. As for me, I can't wait to read/listen to McGeachin's next offering. It would also be remiss of me not to mention Peter Hosking who read this edition of D-E-D dead for Bolinda Audio. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Alby Murdoch is a famous photographer working for WorldPix International, a front for an Australian ultra-secret government department D-E-D, the Department for Extra-territorial Defence. He and his partner Harry are supposed to be doing the biannual positive vetting on US personnel at Bitter Springs, a US-Australian Joint Defence Facility out in the middle of nowhere. Harry it seems found something wrong with the CIA's list of 300 names and dates of birth of people working at the Springs.

On the surface D-E-D DEAD! has all the hallmarks of a conventional spy thriller - assassins, bombs, car chases, and the obligatory beautiful female CIA agent. But the irreverent and comedic treatment that emerges at times shows that it is a spoof. Alby and his new friend Mary Travers flee to Bali and hitch a boat ride to Broome.

An unconventional and enjoyable read if you don't mind a bit of Australian laconic humour and slang mixed into your thriller. Not entirely my cup of tea, but I still rated it at 4.4.

McGeachin's first novel, FAT, FIFTY & F***ED! won the inaugural Australian Popular Fiction Competition and was published by Penguin in August 2004.

D-E-D DEAD! introduced Alby Murdoch and was nominated for a Ned Kelly Award.
It was followed by SENSITIVE NEW AGE SPY in 2007, also nominated for a Ned Kelly Award.
In 2009 #3 DEAD AND KICKING was published. ( )
  smik | Feb 15, 2011 |
Not as funny as 'Fat, Fifty & F***ed' but still prettty funny. I like his sense of humour and easy t follow story line. ( )
  MarkKeeffe | Nov 17, 2008 |

Alby Murdock - photographer, special agent, international man of mystery - dodges bullets and bombs as he's pursued from Bondi to Bali and back in an attempt to unravel a string of dodgy dealings with links to a US military facility deep in the Aussie desert.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible