The Marcelli Bride by Susan Mallery

The Marcelli Bride

by Susan Mallery

Joe is the son Marco and Colleen Marcelli gave up for adoption when they were just teenagers. His adopted parents died and he ended up in foster care until adulthood when he joined the Navy and ended up as a SEAL. Somehow he was reunited with his biological parents before this story began (maybe in a previous book which I missed). He is still very bitter and resentful towards his 'real' family and he keeps them at arm's length while they are desperately trying to show him they love him and want him as part of the family. He's not buying it though.

Darcy Jensen is the President's daughter and after a kidnapping attempt the Secret Service need to stash her someplace safe. Through some kind of connection (which I never really got) they decide that she will hide out with a team of SS agents at the Marcelli winery. Do you buy that? Well, I didn't... When Joe's SEAL team screws up, he gets assigned to head the team of SS agents at his family's winery as some sort of punishment. Weirder and weirder...

The plot was totally implausible and while that has never stopped me from enjoying a book (eg. Janzen's Crazy series) additional problems with the H/H kept me from liking this book at all. Joe was distant and angry and never convinced me that he was attracted to Darcy let alone fell in love with her. Except for his anger and resentment he was pretty much emotionless. Darcy was a bit better but I didn't like her much. The sex scene which the family overheard on the intercom made me uncomfortable. And there was no emotion in any of the sex scenes. There were lots of quirky characters but I just didn't care about the whole family. Blah! There are four sisters all together and I have only read one of their stories, but I have no interest in reading the rest of the series. (Grade: C-) ( )
  reneebooks | Sep 6, 2009 |
The Marcelli Bride was one of those books you just couldn’t put down or didn’t want it to end. It’s a story about family, a story about feelings, and a story about passion.

This book stands alone in the Marcelli Sisters series. However, I would strongly suggest that one reads all of the series in order to understand this complex and loving Italian family. First in the series is The Sparkling One – Katie’s story. Second, The Sassy One, Francesca’s story and the third The Seductive One, Brenna’s story. All three books also incorporate their sister Mia, who will soon have a story as well.

The Marcelli Bride is Joe’s story, their brother they didn’t realize they had. Their parents had been young and in love and also pregnant. Their parents felt it best for them to give Joe up for adoption even though Colleen and Marco did not want to give up their baby. In later books, one finds out that Joe’s adoptive parents died and he was raised in foster homes. Is Joe bitter? A little and weary and of course overwhelmed by this over zealous family who want to bring him into the fold, love him and of course have him involved in the family wine business. Yes, but Joe learns many lessons about family, responsibility, belonging and love.

Joe is a Navy Seal, strong, proud, and smart and gorgeous. He loves his job, but when the President’s daughter is kidnapped and needs a “safe house‿, Joe is asked to assist her security team and take her to the family winery for safe keeping. To further go into details would ruin this story. However, it’s full of action, suspense, and love so hot it burns the pages, and family dynamics that will blow your mind!

Darcy, the President’s daughter is lovely but insecure. Her story is the one that touched me because even though she loved her beautiful sister whom she believed the President favored, she was insure within her own family and afraid to trust and love. Joe and Darcy’s story is beautiful and moving and have some tissues available, you’re going to need them.

Again, Susan Mallery has penned a beautiful and entertaining story, one that I personally didn’t want to end but I will read over and over again.. ( )
  MarilynS | Jun 17, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743499573, Mass Market Paperback)

USA Today bestselling author Susan Mallery returns to the idyllic setting of her sensual Marcelli sisters trilogy -- California wine country, where love and laughter flow, and where an unlikely couple discovers the one thing their hearts hunger for most: a place to call home.

The rebel of the Marcelli family, Joe never joined his sisters Katie, Francesca, and Brenna in running the winery business. Instead, he chose a life of military service. But now that this handsome, headstrong former Navy SEAL has received a new, undercover assignment -- protecting none other than the commander in chief's daughter -- he finds himself stationed back at the California vineyard he defiantly left behind. First-daughter Darcy Jensen has been placed in hiding at the Marcelli Winery after surviving a kidnapping attempt . . . and now it's Joe's job to keep the fearful, fiery beauty out of harm's way. Begrudgingly, Joe heeds his presidential order -- until "babysitting" Darcy proves to be the greatest pleasure he's ever known. How can Joe protect Darcy from danger, when he's falling dangerously in love? And can Darcy trust that Joe's intentions are true -- when no one else's have ever been?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:58 -0400)

Disgruntled Navy SEAL Joe Marcelli is upset about being assigned to protect the president's headstrong grown daughter, Darcy Jensen, after she survives a kidnapping attempt and is sent to the Marcelli Winery to hide out from enemies.

Susan Mallery is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,107,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible