A Fox Called Sorrow by Isobelle Carmody

A Fox Called Sorrow (2006)

by Isobelle Carmody

A sweetly charming and relatively simple tale, that follows on from the fable "Little Fur". Carmody has a lyrical writing style, that would translate well to being narrated aloud, and also resounds poetically in the reader's spirit. With a slightly more complex plot than its predecessor, "Sorrow" also has a shadow of sadness - mainly in the character of Sorrow, the fox who wants to die, but whose body resists anything but a hero's death. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
Little Fur: A Fox Called Sorrow was shortlisted in the 2007 Children's Novel category for the Aurealis Awards. It was also shortlisted for the Lower Primary category of the Speech Pathology Australia Award 2007.

Little Fur: A Fox Called Sorrow is the tale of a young half troll/half elf healer that must go on a dangerous adventure to the cities beneath the earth with a group of animal companions. She meets a damaged fox with a strong wish to die, but an even stronger spirit. It is recommended for readers aged 10+.

This book was an excellent tale of nature's strengths and human folly. It was imaginative and inventive in its presentation in ways that could have easily come off as preachy or disapproving in other books. I found some sections to be devastatingly sad (mentions of animal abuse), which I imagine would bother a child from the lower end of the recommended reading bracket. It's illustrations are luscious and imaginative, decorated in a simplicity that adds to their charm. The book leaves some loose ends unwoven by the end of the story that seemed a little sloppy, but encouraged the reader to seek out the next book in the series. Beautifully packaged with high quality thick pages and a faux velvet cover, this book was a delight to the senses that made me want to return to it again and again. ( )
  eangers | Nov 28, 2011 |
Normally I shudder when I read a review that begins with "a delightful tale," but I'll be darned if that wasn't the first thing I thought after finishing Carmody's story. Little Fur's half-elven, half-trollish perspective on humans and their creations was comical, yet also bypassed the mishmash of facades and charades that we erect, leaving our constructs in their naked horror and disruption of the natural world...or perhaps I'm reading too much into a children's book. ( )
1 vote Aeyan | Sep 9, 2009 |

In a Fox Called Sorrow, the adventures continue for Little Fur, the half elf, half troll girl who heals animals in a magical grove in the heart of a big city. When Little Fur discovers that the Troll King is plotting against the earth spirit that binds all living things, she sets off on a new adventure with a set of unlikely companions: the faithful cat Ginger, a reluctant rat, a pair of ferrets, and a mysterious fox called Sorrow who believes their quest is doomed. Can someone as small as Little Fur prove him wrong? Absolutely! And how she does it is as rich a tale as we've come to expect from author Isobelle Carmody.

With black-and-white illustrations by the author throughout.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

Little Fur an elf troll and healer is the guardian of a wilderness in the heart of an ancient city. She becomes entangled with a fox named Sorrow who wishes only for death. They travel together on a dangerous journey to uncover the Troll king's evil plans.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670040940, 0143300733

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible