Tough Trip Through Paradise by Andrew Garcia

Tough Trip Through Paradise

by Andrew Garcia

I had this fairly obscure library book on my shelf for months and just kept renewing it but never got around to reading it. Then somebody else placed a hold on it, so I got it down and cracked the covers to have a look before I had to return it.
What I found was massively entertaining! (to my tastes, anyway.) The writer's voice is surprisingly contemporary sounding to me. It has humor and passion and none of the rather circuitous and ornate frippery that I, rightly or wrongly, have come to associate with literature of this period.
It is a sort of adventure story where a quite young man goes off on a trapping venture. Originally in the company of a more experienced trapper who is also unfortunately a derelict alcoholic, their ways part eventually and he continues on on his own, eventually marries in the relative wilderness, etc..
  Staroleum | Aug 5, 2008 |
I was introduced to this book by my late beloved Uncle Floyd Rittenhouse, himself a lover of Montana history. Tough Trip is some of the most authentic Montana frontier literature. Besides, its a great read. ( )
  artnking | Jun 5, 2007 |

Andrew Garcia left a manuscript on his death in 1942. The author acquired the manuscript and edited it to tell Garcia's story of the 1877 war between the US government and the Nez Perce people, the end of the buffalo herds and other historic events in Western life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,436,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible