Resonance by A.J. Scudiere

Resonance (2008)

by A.J. Scudiere

4.5/5
I'm actually really surprised that A.J.Scudiere is such an underrated author because she writes amazing books. God's Eye was one of my favourite reads of 2012, and Resonance is not that far behind.

This is a disaster scenario book, very intense, full of interesting multifaceted characters who end up racing together to save humanity facing an apocalyptic catastrophe - global reversing of polarity.

Not only the plot is tightly packed with action, it's full of personal stories and tragedies, feelings and challenges, and in the end the author manages to surprise the heck out of a reader with a unique supernatural solution to the problem. You really just don't expect it.

A.J. writes about human nature, everything else is just a background. The most important thing is people and how they change in face of adversity. For anyone who love disaster scenarios and apocalyptic fiction, - this book is for you. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Something strange is going on in the world. First we meet David Carter, a geologist. He is at a dig but he is more interested in the local rocks than dinosaur bones. About 65 million years ago, it seems that the Earth’s magnetic field switched. He is looking for is proof of that event.

Jordan Abellard and Jillian Brookwood have just started working with the CDC. Their mentor is a grouchy old man that made it clear that they are basically going to be diagnosing minor illnesses. After Jordan’s brother passes away, Jordan goes on the mission to figure out what happened. That leads them to a strange death in Florida and another small town where people are getting really sick and dieing for no valid reason.

Becky Sorenson discovers mutated frogs by her parent’s house. She starts researching them when she is sent off to look into a strange bird migration. Although she is initially threatened with loosing her tenure and her frogs, it is later decided that she would be the best person to figure out what is going on with the frogs and birds.

I had a hard time getting into the book for the first 100 or so pages. After that the book just flowed. I couldn’t wait to see what happened next and thought the ending was a good twist. I admit that I am really curious about the possibilities from the results of the pole switch. I would like to have learned more about what exactly was making the people ill.

Over all this was a good first book. I admit that I started reading God’s Eye and can’t wait to find out what happens. I think most people will like this story. It’s a great new idea that has lots of possibilities.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jbronderblogs | Jan 3, 2012 |
I received 3 books form this author. I am a self professed "book cover snob", I set the books aside. The cover just didn't grab me. After reviewing several books that I didn't care for, I was looking for a change of pace and picked up Resonance.

This book certainly delivered the change of pace I was looking for! It starts out with several seemingly unrelated characters and their strange medical and scientific discoveries. The story switches abruptly from one group of characters to the next, making the reader a bit confused, but keeping your interest as the plot eventually converges, the characters meet and share their mysterious discoveries.

About three quarters through the book, I was sure the mystery had been solved and the strange phenomenon that was predicted to be effecting the characters would occur and that would be the end of the story. (Trying not to spoil the plot here!) It took me by complete surprise that it was not the end! This book has a wonderful twist and it results in a whole new set of problems for the characters!

This is a fast and easy book to read. It kept my attention and I read it in a few days. I liked the characters and while the book is based on a scientific theory it wasn't so involved or technical that I didn't understand it. ( )
  gchristianson | Nov 14, 2011 |
Description:
Like clockwork, every 60 million years, the Earth's magnetic poles reverse. 65 million years ago, the Earth's magnetic poles switched leading to the destruction of the dinosaurs. Planet Earth is 5 million years late for the next reversal. By the time the scientific community realizes what's to come it may already be too late.
A group of four scientists and medical doctors begin noticing that there are things changing in their areas of study. David, a geologist, realizes that the Earth is due for a complete magnetic pole reversal like the event that took out the dinosaurs; Jillian and Jordan work for the CDC and are studying a disease that seems harmless until its victims become comatose and begin to die; and Becky, a biologist, discovers six-legged frog mutants and strange bird migration patterns. None of these events seem to have anything in common, until the four of them meet and discover that the pole reversal starting, and maybe the end of existence as they know it.

Review:
I am a fan of science fiction and end-of-the-world theories, therefore, when I saw the giveaway for this book on LibraryThing I knew I had to enter. After the first two chapters I didn't want to put the eBook down. What began as a slow-paced introduction to the characters and their strange discoveries turned into a fast-paced page-turner. A.J. Scudiere has a way with making the world and characters within this book come to life. I felt like I was part of the action, trying to figure out why everything was happening and how the pole reversal would effect me; I love when a book makes me feel "included" in some way. Being a microbiologist I definitely appreciated the science behind the pole reversal, and I think the author did a great job setting up the plot and the dialogue, especially the scientific parts which were easier to understand than in other books of the genre. Overall, I thought the book was great, and it had everything I wanted in an end-of-the-world scenario. The only thing that bothered me was the snappiness of the ending which seemed a little rushed, but all of the loose ends seemed to be tied up and accounted for. I recommend this book to science fiction lovers and people who want to read about world ending scenarios that doesn't involve zombies, aliens, or Mayan prophesies.

Rating: On the Run (4/5)

*** I received this eBook from LibraryThing Member Giveaways (Griffyn Ink) in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Oct 10, 2011 |
According to geological records, the Earth’s magnetic pole switches about every 60 million years. The last such swap was about 65 million years ago – about the same time as the last massive dinosaur die-out. The Earth is 5 million years overdue …

The story revolves around a group of scientists and doctors – Jordan and Jillian are physicians with the CDCP who work under Dr. Landerly; David is a geologist; and Becky is a biologist. Each of them start noticing things around the same time – Jordan and Jillian notice that people are slipping into comas after being hit by what appears to be some sort of stomach flu and not waking up; David finds evidence of a magnetic reversal being responsible for the die-out of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, and further evidence hinting that the same thing has happened about every 60 million years; and Becky finds a small area in the Tennessee backwoods with a large number of mutated frogs. There doesn’t seem to be any connection, until the four coincidentally meet up and pool their resources – what they discover is terrifying. The world is due for another magnetic reversal, and it appears to be starting.

Some reviewers have mentioned that they found the beginning slow and the ending abrupt. I found the beginning to be fascinating as each group makes their discoveries and tries to figure out what is happening. The middle I found incredibly confusing – there is some really weird stuff going on and nobody seems to understand what is happening. But it is all explained, so don’t let the weirdness scare you off – the idea Scudiere comes up with is both fascinating and really scary, but at the same time incredibly nifty! The ending was a bit abrupt – there is no real discussion about the overall effects of the magnetic reversal upon technology, for instance. It seems to me that the magnetic upheaval would have wreaked havoc upon computer systems and networks, as well as the guidance systems and so forth, but this isn’t mentioned and once the actual snap occurs, everything is business as usual. Nonetheless, I found it a very enjoyable read and would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good bio-medical sci-fi thriller. Check it out! ( )
  Katyas | Aug 29, 2011 |

The North and South Poles are swapping places and creating "hot spots" around the country. People are dying and species of animals are mutating or disappearing. Three scientists must discover what is causing the problems and how to save human kind from the fate of the dinosaurs.

Dr. Becky Sorenson has some seriously mutated frogs in her lab. In L.A., bees are making abnormal columns on the side of the freeways. In Georgia, birds are migrating out of season. It all makes a sick kind of sense when the doctors consider that the last magnetic shift is strangely coincidental to the dinosaur die-out. And the only similarity in the problems today is that each is occurring in a hotspot--a pocket of reverse polarity tells them all the shift is already here.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,317,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible