The Resurrectionist by Jack O'Connell

The Resurrectionist

by Jack O'Connell

Creepy and dark - I enjoyed it! Part of the novel is taking place in "real life" and part of the novel takes place in a weird comic book, which mirrors the real life aspects. I found this interweaving to be quite interesting, but sometimes hard to follow. After a while, I got the hang of it, and had no more trouble. Oddly, I enjoyed the comic book characters more than the "real life" ones. A worthwhile fantasy read, but it is basically a fun, fluff book. ( )
  rosemaryknits | Jul 25, 2017 |
This is the weirdest of the 5 (so far) books in the Quinsigamond series and that is saying something. Sweeney is a man on the edge. Unable to cope with the guilt of not being there when his son Danny's accident occurred he will do anything to try and restore Danny from the coma he's been in ever since. That's all he lives for so when an opening appears at the renowned Peck clinic in Quinsigamond, Sweeney applies and is granted a place for his son amongst the patients. He is also taken on as a pharmacist within the clinic itself. Events don't transpire exactly as he's hoped and soon find Sweeney enmeshed with a biker group that's also made it's way to the rust-belt factory town who have plans of their own for Sweeney and Danny. Which way will Sweeney eventually lean? Who can he trust to do the right thing for his son?

Interjected within this story we are also treated to excerpts from Danny's favourite comic book, Limbo, which is about a troupe of freaks forced to flee from their circus home and follow the mystical instructions given to the chicken boy when he enters into Limbo while in the grip of a seizure. While fleeing a mad doctor they're trying to re-unite chicken boy with his long lost father believed to be on the far shores of Gehenna. I did mention that this book was weird, right?

The two narratives eventually join up to form a whole that speculates on consciousness and where we go when that is lost and the feelings of guilt and rage of those that get left behind. It also takes a look at how stories can have an effect on people's lives and not always for the betterment thereof. This book will not be everyone's cup of tea, the characters in the main are mostly unlikeable, there's quite a mishmash of elements in the storytelling linking gothic and noirish mystery that will not sit well with everyone. But for me, because I've enjoyed the previous work of the author it seems to have built nicely to this. I wouldn't recommend this as a first experience of his work though but I found it quite compelling. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Dec 31, 2012 |
This is a strange story that weaves together two plot lines: a father brings his comatose son to a mysterious clinic in a truly horrendous Rust Belt town in the hope of a cure, while a band of circus freaks try to escape their nemesis in a comic-book adventure that the boy used to love. Unfortunately, the story never quite gelled for me into a world I could fully believe in or characters I could fully commit to. ( )
  sturlington | Aug 20, 2011 |
While I found the book well written, I had problems with it. I was never convinced by the Goldfaden Freaks as a comic series for children, or that parents would let their children become involved in reading such a thing. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I just couldn't buy the premise. Also, it was huge mistake for me to read this on a personal level because my husband was in a coma for a protracted period (yes, he woke up, thanks, he's fine) so I spent a lot of time with him and other coma patients, and so much of what was in here struck me as pure bullshit. Interesting, and perhaps how a writer might imagine it to be, but it didn't resonate for at least one person who's actually been through it. ( )
  Philotera | Apr 25, 2011 |
O'Connell's best, most consistent book. ( )
  trif | Mar 2, 2011 |
Mea maxima culpa -Menlo
To James Daniel
Alone in the doctor's office, Sweeney's eyes lingered on the final panel and, once again, he found himself feeling something close to sympathy for the cartoon strongman, exiled and adrift, the world torn down in a random instant and supplanted with a precarious replacement.

Part classic noir thriller, part fabulist fable, The Resurrectionist careens into a territory where nothing is as it appears. Sweeney, hoping for a miracle, has arrived with his comatose son Dasnny at the fortresslike Peck Clinic, whose doctors claim to have "resurrected" patients who were similarly lost in the void. Plunged into the intrigue that envelops the clinic, Sweeney's quest for his son's revival leads to sinister back alleys, brutal dead ends, and terrifying corners of darkness and mystery. But the real cure for the boy's condition may lie in Limbo, a comic book world beloved by Danny before he fell into unconciousness...And it is into that amazing and terrifying world that O'Connell propels the reader as he takes the elements of traditional storytelling and deftly weaves themn into a masterpiece of invention. -back of book

This is the story of Sweeney, a druggist by trade, and his son Danny, the victim of an accident which has left him in a coma. They visit the Peck Clinic, where Sweeney comes to realize that the real cure for his son's condition may lie in Limbo, a fantasy comic book world into which his son has been drawn at the time of his accident.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jack O'Connell's book The Resurrectionist was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,956,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible