Gossip of the Starlings by Nina de Gramont

Gossip of the Starlings

by Nina de Gramont

2202752,892 (3.51)31

Granted, Gossip of the Starlings may not be the most memorable book long-term. However, I think the characters in this book are relatable to people of all ages. This is a book about growing up and realising consequences of being an adult versus an adolescent. I would recommend this book, especially to young adults. It is a book I will definitely read again. ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Oct 4, 2016 |
Gossip of the Starlings had a few of my favorite things: the 80's , prep school drama and horseback riding. The book was well written but I didn't particularly care for any of the characters except for John Paul. Catherine, the main character was a terrible friend and showed loyalty to the wrong people. I enjoyed the story and all the 80's pop culture references but was disappointed in the lack of growth and self awareness from any of the characters. ( )
  68papyrus | Apr 18, 2013 |
  ItEntertainsMe | Feb 20, 2013 |
Gossip of the Starlings I liked more than I thought I would, but not as much as I had hoped.

In haiku:
Young woman at school
Corrupted by her best friend
Survives, very sad.

It was a very quick read and was moderately entertaining. I found it very difficult to like or sympathize with many of the characters. It was sort of like watching a car crash in slow motion: you don't want to look, but you can't help yourself. The author had an uncanny ability to keep a dark tension throughout. Imagine boarding schools full of kids who have far too much freedom, time, money and lack any sense of morality (I mean both the students and the schools). ( )
  Voracious_Reader | Nov 5, 2010 |
This book was both good, and not good. The good was that de Gramont does a great job of weaving this story of tragic youth. The story moved easily, and was believable for the timeframe (today, I’m sure the drug of choice would be something different). The not good part of the story was that I struggled to connect with either Catherine or Skye, a couple of spoiled rich girls who go through their lives without any real serious thought of the people around them. I was able to sympathize a bit with Catherine by the end, since she seems like she’s trying to change her path, but when everything comes crashing down, it’s hard to feel sorry for her. Sometimes it’s hard to tell who was more drawn to who. In Catherine, Skye finds the rebellion she’d been struggling to find, and in Skye, Catherine finds the loyalty she’s searched for. Really, I felt most sorry for those who were trampled in their path. ( )
  miyurose | Mar 12, 2010 |

"When Catherine Morrow is admitted to the Esther Percy School for Girls, it's on condition that she reform her ways. But that's before the beautiful and charismatic Skye Butterfield, daughter of the famous Senator Butterfield, chooses Catherine for her best friend. Skye is in love with clanger and the thrill of taking risks, breaking rules, and crossing boundaries, no matter the stakes. The problem is, the stakes keep getting higher, and Catherine can neither resist Skye nor stop her from taking down everyone around her." "De Gramont's novel is a portrait of adolescent seductions in all their beauty and terror. Caught in a world that is both alluring and astonishing, the girls of Esther Percy are optimistic and willful, loving and selfish, daring and cruel - all the while believing they're utterly indestructible."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nina de Gramont's book Gossip of the Starlings was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,920,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible