My Friend, the Starfinder by George Ella…

My Friend, the Starfinder

by George Ella Lyon

Other authors: Stephen Gammell (Illustrator)

The book, "My Friend, the Starfinder" by George Ella Lyon is about a little girl and an old man. The little girl is narrating the stories the old man use to tell her. The little girl tells the reader how the old man found a star and the end of the rainbow. She describes the old man as her friend and how she believed his stories.

The book was magical. Five stars doesn't justify the rating of this book enough. I loved this book so much it made me smile reading it. I read it three times, just admiring the pictures and the words. I personally love anything to do with stars, planets, sun, rainbows, etc. and this book was that. Another thing I've noticed about Gammell's pictures is that he uses black and white to describe the past. In his book, "Once Upon MacDonald's Farm" he used black and white in the whole book. At first I thought it was because of the simplicity of the farmer, now I'm thinking it is because it is a story about the past. The colors and use of planets and space makes this book feel magical. I loved how in the first sentence Gammell used a planet for the first word. It the little things that make the story and the pictures enjoyable. ( )
  kpacheco1 | Feb 21, 2018 |
Beautiful, etherial illustrations; even more lovely story of a multigenerational friendship. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
I liked this book a lot. The illustrations were my favorite component. The book is not illustrated with realistic colors, but it adds to the story. This is very true to the definition of a picture book in that the pictures are necessary to tell the story. The illustrations switch colors based on if it’s the present or the past being told. There is also a large amount of figurative language, like “[the star] was warm and smooth as an egg straight from the hen” and “when all of a sudden he saw his hand purple as a church window.” The text is written like poetry and it keeps the reader captivated. The stories that are told make the reader imagine bigger ideas that go beyond normal understanding. Perspective is broadened outside the typical box of truth and accurate storytelling. The big idea of the book is that it is important to tell stories from your life, even if the details don’t seem realistic. ( )
  drobin24 | Oct 23, 2016 |
This book I did not quite understand the first time around. It is a tale about a little girl who befriends an older man who claims he has caught a star, and eventually gives her the star to hold too. Its a great little book about friendship, and how friendship has no limits. I wouldn't say it is one of my favorite books I have ever read, but it has its moments that make you smile. ( )
1 vote CMJohnson | Feb 26, 2014 |
I enjoyed the whimiscal elements of the story, especially the illustrations. ( )
1 vote dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |

George Ella Lyonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A child relates some of the wondrous tales told by an old man who once found a falling star and stood at the end of a rainbow.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,308,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible