Shadow of Colossus by T. L. Higley

Shadow of Colossus

by T. L. Higley

11520104,954 (3.18)16

I won this book in a Goodreads.com Giveaway and have finally had a chance to finish it. Overall, I really enjoyed this story. Tessa was very believable as she tried to keep hope alive even against all the pain she's been through with life. The story was well paced and had a bit of a mystery to it but it seemed a bit...preachy.

I'm not against God being in books I read or characters finding their way but it just seemed shoe-horned into the book. It didn't make me hate the book but I do admit to skimming in two different chapters when I felt things were being laid on really heavy. ( )
  nike13 | Mar 10, 2016 |
I received this book in exchange for a honest review.
Isle of Shadows by Tracy L Higley
Christian READ

This is a great christian read. The author weaves christian fiction wonderfully and adds aspects of the bible in it in a unique way. The journey Tessa takes is a hard one and through it finds the true meaning of life and love. This is the first book I had the honor of reading. I'm simply amazed. I'm not a history person but I loved Tessa's story. The author was amazing at the descriptions and the visualization you encounter in this book. I love how the author gives us a little surprise in the end with a biblical reference to one of Jesus' followers.

From the very first page the author takes you back to a time before Christ in the land of Rhodes, where we learn about Rhodes most respected hetera, Tessa of Delios. Tessa is in a world not of her own choosing and is forced to be a slave in many respects. She longs to be free from men and their possessive needs. When an accident threatens to leave Tessa in line for death, Simeon and Nikos become her ally in this deadly game of politics and power. Can she trust them when she has hardened her heart to love and trust? This journey with Tessa is a emotional one that has hurt and grief that transforms to love and acceptance of God's greater picture. I give this book a 5 star review! ( )
  Merisha_Abbott | Aug 1, 2013 |
Tessa is a courtesan or high class prostitute longing for freedom. When her master dies, she uses his misfortune to create a new life for herself.

T.L. Higley is a very good writer, but this book didn't hold my attention. The one thing I missed in his book was the sense of location. As I read another of her books, Petra: City of Stone, I was there at that location and could see, smell, and feel the locality. I also couldn't identify with the main characters.

Well written, but not the type of book that draws me in, and a disappointment.

I received an electronic version of this book through the "bookSneeze" program. ( )
  Tmtrvlr | Jan 2, 2013 |
I finally was able to read Shadow of Colossus after winning it and then misplacing it. It appealed to me because of the Ancient Greece setting. Tessa was an okay lead character but I think she was what made me enjoy the book as much as I did. Overall it was just an okay book, some parts were very slow but it picked up the pace in other parts. I would be willing to read other books in the Seven Wonders series. ( )
  Elizabeth_Hurlburt | Dec 30, 2012 |
Reason for Reading: I had been wanting to read it anyway. The Ancient Greece and Seven Wonders angle appealed to me.

Summary: Set in 227 BC on the Greek island of Rhodes, Tesa was sold into bondage by her mother ten years ago and has been a courtesan ever since. She holds quite a high position in society as the hetaera of a wealthy politician, but still she must meet his every need in the privacy of his home. When her patrician is accidentally killed Tesa comes up with a plan to finally escape this island and its bondage but at this time she also meets a young man different than all the other men whom she has grown cold towards, this man actually seems to care. And all the while brewing deep beneath the earth the tectonic plates are coming together in what will be an immense earthquake that will destroy not only the Greek town and Jew village but also bring the Colossus statue of Helios to it's knees.

Comment: I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I have to say I wasn't particularly in an Ancient history mood when I sat down to read it but the book grabbed me from the first chapter onwards. Tesa is a strong character caught in an ugly life of slavery and prostitution from which she is determined to free herself. Though to have survived so long in this lifestyle she has set aside her joy for life and become a cold, unfeeling person, impossible to reach. When she finds love it is extremely hard for her to set aside the control she has placed on her feelings for so long.

The book has an exciting political plot, with people plotting behind one another's backs to become the most powerful one. With three deaths and a near mass murder, one cannot help but be carried away by the fast-paced, exciting plot. Part love story, part political thriller and part examination of the Old Testament Jewish faith this engaging read was a page-turner for me.

From a Christian publisher I feel the label "Christian fiction" is a bit of a misnomer as the story takes place 227 years before Christ. Yet one can't quite call it "Biblical fiction" as the events are fictional, not from the Bible. I'm more apt to call this simply "historical fiction" or "historical romance" that mainstream readers would most likely enjoy. There are Jewish characters who believe in God and they introduce Him to a couple of Greek characters. There is one sentence near the end of the book where a Jewish character mentions the coming, one day, of a Messiah. I'd recommend to anyone, regardless of creed, who is interested in the time period. I'm looking forward to reading other books in this series. ( )
1 vote ElizaJane | Dec 23, 2009 |
“The finest of all the votive gifts and statues in the city of Rhodes is the Colossus of Helios. Now it lies on the ground, overthrown by an earthquake, severed at the knees.”
Strabo, The Geography, c. AD 23
“Even lying on the ground it is a marvel. Few people can make their arms meet round its thumbs, and its fingers are larger than most statues.” Pliny the Elder, Natural History, AD 77
In the deceitful calm of the days preceding disaster, while Rhodes still glittered like a white jewel in the Aegean, Tessa of Delos planned to open her wrists.

Tessa, a famous courtesan on the island of Rhodes, seeks to gain freedom from her wealthy patron, Glaucus, and becomes involved with a mysterious stranger, Nikos, who decides to help her in a plot which puts both of their lives in danger.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

T. L. Higley's book Shadow of Colossus was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,989,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible