Dragonheart by Todd J. McCaffrey

I refuse to actually read it. It's the same damn book as Dragon's Blood, which I just read 3 books ago...Seriously, same time, same problem, same people.

I'm done, Done, DONE with the Pern author's habit of rewriting the same story from another point of view and calling it a new book! Todd learned well from his mother...

This is one of those times I regret my impulsive behavior in buying the rest of the books online after reading the first few. Wah Wah Wahhhhh. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
Third Pass #5 ( )
  ogorobez | Apr 6, 2013 |
I'm so pleased that Todd McCaffrey is continuing on with his mother's series that I'm willing to forgive some problems in this book. Fiona is the daughter of the Lord Holder of Fort Hold and she and her father are invited guests for the Hatching. When she impresses the Queen dragon everyone is surprised but her experience at the Hold stands her in good stead when she and a bunch of wounded dragons as well as the rest of the weyrlings go back in time to the abandoned Igen Weyr. The process of training the weyrlings was interesting and not something I remember from other books in the series. However, I really wanted to know what was happening with the sick dragons and we were just left hanging. I know it will probably be covered in the next book but would it have hurt to have some hope. And how does this book fit in with Dragon's Blood? We really need an overall timeline for all the books. ( )
1 vote gypsysmom | Nov 23, 2011 |
As always with the Dragonriders - fun and hard to put down.
It also answers a modern mystery - why did the human colonists of Pern never discover Fire Lizards? Especially if dragons are descended from them? ( )
  dragonasbreath | Nov 3, 2010 |
The details are inconsistant with the series as a whole, and the plot is pulled from other books in the series. I managed to finish it, but won't buy any more of Tod's books. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Oct 14, 2010 |
This book is lovingly dedicated to Steve and Natalie.
"... and you wouldn't believe how many holders they've saved over the last ten Turns," Benden Weyrleader M'tal said, continuing to press his case for the watch-whers.

Todd McCaffrey’s first solo novel in the classic Dragonriders of Pern series, Dragonsblood, was hailed by critics and embraced by the countless devoted readers of the landmark science fiction saga created by his mother, Anne McCaffrey. Now the chronicles of Pern take another captivating turn as the embattled planet, the brave pioneers who call it home, and the magnificent flame-breathing creatures who fly high to protect it confront a dire new challenge.
The grim specter of sickness looms over the Weyrs of Pern, felling fire-lizards and posing a potentially devastating threat to their dragon cousins, Pern’s sole defense against the deadly phenomenon that is Thread. Fiona, the youngest and only surviving daughter of Lord Bemin, is just coming of age, and about to assume the duties of a Weyrwoman, when word spreads that dragons have indeed begun succumbing to the new contagion. With the next season of Threadfall quickly approaching, and the already diminished ranks of the dragons once more under siege, every Weyr across Pern is in crisis mode. It is hardly the time for disturbing distractions–such as the strange voice Fiona suddenly hears in her mind at the darkest and most urgent moments.

Circumstances and the mood of the weyrfolk worsen when advance patrols relay the dreaded news that black dust–the unmistakable herald of falling Thread–has been sighted. As more dragons sicken and die, leaving only a new generation of weyrlings too young to succeed them, Weyrleader B’Nik and queen rider Lorana arrive from Benden Weyr to comb Fort Weyr’s archives in a desperate search for clues from the past that may hold the solution to the plague.

But could the actual past itself prove the pathway to salvation for Pern’s stricken dragons and the entire imperiled planet? Guided by a mysterious ally from a wholly unexpected place, and trusting in the unique dragon gift for transcending time, Fiona will join a risky expedition with far-reaching consequences for both Pern’s future and her personal destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:02 -0400)

The dragons of Pern are dying...and the only person who can save them has been dead for over 400 Turns. This fantasy is written by Anne McCaffrey's son, Todd, heir to the literary world of Pern.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible