The Yoga Zoo Adventure: Animal Poses and…

The Yoga Zoo Adventure: Animal Poses and Games for Little Kids (SmartFun…

by Helen Purperhart

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has been a great adventure for me to use with my grandchildren. I recommended it to a pre-school teacher because I used it often and the kids had great fun doing exercise!!! ( )
  MargaretdeBuhr | Jul 22, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a great book to use with my grandsons to tie our visits to the zoo and to stay flexible.

The book is very clearly written and easy to follow. We had so many laughs just getting into the positions.

Bought a second copy for my other two grandsons...good book to add to a young family's collection. ( )
  memasmb | Jul 9, 2009 |
A cute book and valuable resource for parents and preschool teachers. This book has a series of exercises suitable for ages 3-7 which are based on traditional yoga poses and activities. The individual activities are designed to engage young children at home or school. They are presented with stories, parables, music, and toy prop suggestions to make them more engaging than simple introspective yoga might be for this age group.
The animal themes allow for incorporation with unit studies and related teaching tied to zoos, nature, wildlife, farm life, travel and similar ideas. A section of animal parables is included at the back, and animal facts of interest to young children are sprinkled throughout the book alongside the exercises mentioning those animals. Also included in the concluding sections are brief essays on the importance of zoos in general and on select animals (listed alphabetically) of interest to children, from caterpillars to zebras.
This is a worthy addition to the home or early childhood education library, and would make a good gift to preschool educators or primary school physical education professionals. ( )
  LeesyLou | Sep 12, 2008 |
The Yoga Zoo Adventure is a delightful book for children and parents alike. What a wonderful way to work both bonding time and exercise into a family’s day. In today’s society, is seems more and more difficult to find time and ways to really include vitally important family time in our daily lives. Through The Yoga Zoo Adventure, this can easily be done, as well as aiming for a more healthy lifestyle that is fun.

In The Yoga Zoo Adventure, your child will travel through a virtual zoo of their minds. Visiting such places as the Ape Cages, Desert Animal Compound, Reptile Building, Insect House, Predator Pavilions and the Aquarium just to name a few. Each section has easy to follow instructions for a yoga move that mimics the real action of an animal. An example of this is as follows:

Prowling like a shark:

~~ Lie on your tummy.
~~ Bend your legs up and point your toes toward the ceiling to make your “tale”.
~~ Bring both arms behind you and entwine your fingers together.
~~ Slide your arms up to the middle of your back to make your “fins”.
~~ Lift your head and swim like a shark prowling for food in the ocean by moving your tail back and forth and your fins up and down.
*taken from page 98 of The Yoga Zoo Adventure

Also included are fun bits of information on each animal, delightful games and songs and a great ending, complete with several pages discussing The Importance of Zoos and the animals that are included within the book. The Yoga Zoo Adventure is a great book for several reasons - it’s fun, educational, promotes a healthy body and is a great tool to bring children and parents together. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and we had a ton of fun with this book. It states, on the cover, that the age range is 3 - 7, however I truly feel that The Yoga Zoo Adventure goes well beyond that age bracket.

Excellent and highly recommended! ( )
  ajpohren | Sep 3, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book is designed for ages 3 to 7, but it was easy enough to engage my older children, along with our toddler, in hours of laugh-out-loud, adventurous fun.

I’ve recently incorporated yoga into my own life and thought it would be great for my children to join me. The Yoga Zoo Adventure offers the perfect blend of simple yoga positions and creativity, offering a fresh approach to encouraging movement, self-expression, and relaxation.

The book contains easy to follow, step-by-step, instructions for games and activities, along with stories and a special learning section on zoo animals. Not only fun to complete, it’s a joy to read.

A great way to engage your children with the building blocks of a healthy lifestyle, or a fun book to pick up on a rainy day. ( )
  BarbWebb | Mar 9, 2008 |

This ingenious book uses the postures and movements of zoo animals to teach yoga movements to children. The first part of the book covers theoretical and practical information for parents and teachers working with yoga. Part two takes readers to every part of the zoo, from the insect and reptile houses to the ape cage and the oceanarium. Here youngsters come face to face with a tiger, look in the eyes of a giraffe, do the monkey dance, and walk as gracefully as a flamingo. Part three introduces the rules of the yoga lifestyle through a number of animal fables. Part four contains background information about the animals described in the book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

An introduction to yoga for children, designed for young bodies and short attention spans, the author has replaced traditional poses with games and exercises that little kids will enjoy.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Helen Purperhart's book The Yoga Zoo Adventure: Animal Poses and Games for Little Kids was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Hunter House

2 editions of this book were published by Hunter House.

Editions: 0897935055, 0897935063

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,004,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible