Things I Want My Daughters to Know by…

Things I Want My Daughters to Know

by Elizabeth Noble

English (37)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  All (41)
How do you cope in a world without your mother?

When Barbara realizes time is running out, she writes letters to her four daughters, aware that they'll be facing the trials and triumphs of life without her at their side. But how can she leave them when they still have so much growing up to do?

Take Lisa, in her midthirties but incapable of making a commitment; or Jennifer, trapped in a stale marriage and buttoned up so tight she could burst. Twentysomething Amanda, the traveler, has always distanced herself from the rest of the family; and then there's Hannah, a teenage girl on the verge of womanhood about to be parted from the mother she adores.

But by drawing on the wisdom in Barbara's letters, the girls might just find a way to cope with their loss. And in coming to terms with their bereavement, can they also set themselves free to enjoy their lives with all the passion and love each deserves?

This heartfelt novel by bestselling author Elizabeth Noble celebrates family, friends… and the glorious, endless possibilities of life.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This is one of those novels where there are no sweeping plot lines, but there is so much emotion and character that you feel like you know these people in real life. I loved the way that this family was so real but also there was so much love and genuineness. And that the growth that occurs as this family mourns the loss of their mother is so suffused with love. And I loved the British phrases and ways of saying things - fun for me though I'm sure totally normal for those living in Britain. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 26, 2013 |
This was a beautiful book. Barbara has been diagnosed with cancer. Various therapy have not been successful, and she therefore prepares herself and her family. Barbara writes a series of letters to her 4 daughters - Lisa,Jennifer,Amanda and Hannah. Each one has problems that they can not face, yet the letter they each receive from their mother upon her death is pivital in their moving on through the grief to a happy future. ( )
  AnglersRest | Jul 7, 2012 |
Barbara is running out of time & she knows and accepts this. Knowing that her duty as a mother will always be with her regardless of her situation, she reaches out to them, to help guide them with letters she's left behind after her passing. Barbara has four daughters: Lisa, the eldest who doesn't think she can't commit in a relationship & finds herself needing her mother more now that she's gone. Jennifer, the one who's so wound tight she could just burst. With a marriage on the rocks, Jennifer needs to learn to let go & come to terms that she can be happy and carefree. Amanda who's always traveling from continent to continent, who will only stay in one place long enough to send a post card & a call home... maybe. She's always shunned herself from her family & doesn't want to fall in love, little does she know that what she's looking for, just might be closer to home. And then there's Hannah, young, sweet Hannah. Hannah is in her early teens, just crossing that line into womanhood and her mother is abruptly taken from her. She holds it together long enough to help her dad, but soon finds herself straying to a path that is no good for her.

When I picked up this book, I picked it up because the title really grabbed my attention. Plus, the cover is beautiful. I absolutely love my mom & wanted to read this book & find out what a mother could want her daughters to know. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end and shed tears, both happy & sad. Even though Barbara passes away early in this book, she's still there, through her letters. Elizabeth Noble did a really good job of bringing Barbara's character through in the letters. It was like she never even left. This book jumps from character to character, each time digging deeper into their lives & what's going on with them. I really enjoyed that, it kept me reading. The trials and tribulations of life can be hard, but to face them and not have your mother there to help you when you need her has got to be much harder.

I can honestly say that I loved everything about this book, I had no dislikes. I really liked the whole "letters" thing. Of course, this book would really be nothing without those letters. But, I really did enjoy them, to think that this mom helped her daughters overcome big obstacles in their lives & bring her family closer together from a few letters written before her death, is amazing to me.

I really should've written this review for mothers day. I would definitely recommend this book, it was a really good read & I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have never heard of Elizabeth Noble until now & she can is forever on my TBR list. ( )
  bishhy | Jun 1, 2012 |
OMG - this book was such a real tearjerker. I cried from the beginning and didn't stop until the end. A powerful, emotional read which I loved.

Back Cover Blurb:
Barbara must say a final farewell to her four daughters. But how can she find the words? And how can she leave them when they each have so much growing up still to do?
Take Lisa, in her thirties but terrified of commitment - or brittle, unhappily married Jennifer. Amanda, the traveller, is always a little apart from her sisters and teenage Hannah faces adult life without a mother at her side.
Barbara's answer is to write each daughter a letter, finally expressing the hopes, fears, dreams and secrets she couldn't always voice. These words will touch the girls in different - sometimes shocking - ways, unlocking emotions and passions to set them on their own journey of discovery through lie. ( )
  mazda502001 | Sep 10, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006112219X, Hardcover)

The bestselling author of The Reading Group returns with her most engaging novel yet, about four sisters who find hope and laughter in the wisdom their mother left behind

Warm, funny, and loving, Barbara had always been the backbone of her family. Her four daughters adored her and relied on her. Faced with the reality of leaving them before any of them are ready, Barbara writes letters to each of them, and a journal about the things she wants them to know.

Facing their first year without her, drawing on the wisdom in the legacy she has left behind, her girls might just find a way to cope with their loss. And in coming to terms with their bereavement, can they also set themselves free to enjoy their lives with all the passion and love each deserves?

As she did in The Reading Group, The Friendship Test, and Alphabet Weekends, Elizabeth Noble pairs humor and poignancy in a tale about love, loss, and family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:17 -0400)

Having received letters and a journal from their mother written at the end of her life, four sisters struggle through their first year without her, a time marked by their bereavement and efforts to achieve joy and passion.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elizabeth Noble's book Things I Want My Daughters to Know was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0718153332, 0141030011

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,730,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible