Athyra by Steven Brust
Info:Ace Books (1993), Reissue, Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, Dragaera

Athyra by Steven Brust

At one time, many years ago, this was one of my favorite series. Then life got busy and I didn't like the last book as much and I left the series behind. I decided I wanted to give it one more chance.

I reread the first two books but realized I remembered the story enough to get on with it. I am glad I did. I liked this book a lot. I didn't love it but it had all the things I remember love about this series. Including a main character who is not always that likable. I will most certainly go onto the next book. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
I was expecting that Athyra would be a book I just had to get through to reach the rest of the series on the other side. I was not expecting to like it so much.

(I'm not sure now of all the reasons I was so reluctant to read this. I certainly wasn't enthusiastic about a third-person narrative, from the perspective of a new character - half the appeal of these books is Vlad's first-person narration, and if you lose that, you also lose his sense of humour and his psionic conversation with his Jhereg familiar, Loiosh. And because Vlad had to leave the city of Adrilankha at the end of Phoenix, the chances of many, if any, of his friends turning up in Athyra, were remote. Possibly I'd also read a less-than-glowing review or two.)

Athyra is about Savn, a young Teckla (young by Dragearan standards, not human ones) who finds himself at odds with his community after he helps an outsider (Vlad). It's a really solid coming-of-age story, and focusing on Savn rather than Vlad makes a lot of sense - Savn is more of an active player, especially after Vlad is injured.
There's an interesting tension, too, in realising that what is best for Vlad is not necessarily what is best for Savn - and wanting what is best for both of them, simultaneously.

The ending of Athyra is a punch in the gut that I did not see coming… and it meant I had to read Orca immediately.

Why am I doing this? he wondered, and the answer came as quickly as he’d formed the question.
If he ignored Vlad, he’d never learn anything more, and what he’d learned felt like a door that had opened just enough to let him see that on the other side was a place he desperately wanted to visit, maybe even to live. And he knew he would always berate himself for cowardice if he let himself be driven away from the Easterner.
  Herenya | Jan 18, 2017 |
Vlad is on the run from the Jhereg. Comes across an old enemy and dukes it out with the wizard. Told from the viewpoint of a village healer apprentice, who's an Athyra. Nothing in it really stood out. There was no real connection with Vlad, no real reason to root for him besides his history. Nothing here made me want to care about his future. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Now, that was a switch. The first five Vlad books were all told in the first person, from Vlad's own perspective. This one turns the series on its head by flipping to a third person account. What's more, it's using the point-of-view of a young Draegaran peasant boy.

We get to see Vlad Taltos as another sees him, as Savn becomes the central character. Vlad has wandered into his village, and strange things start occurring. While others think this strange "Easterner" is to blame, Savn isn't so sure. He's drawn to Vlad and is pulled towards a life outside the village.

It has elements of being the fantasy coming of age story, but this particular novel is more about Savn learning how to question things that he and his family have always assumed to be true. Vlad teaches him not to doubt, necessarily, but to not take everything at face value.

Vlad Taltos fans should really enjoy the flipped perspective. A nice added touch is end of chapter "thoughts" from the point of view of Rocza, the jhereg mate of Vlad's familiar, Loiosh. ( )
  Texas_Reaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
Book 6 in the Vlad Taltos series. For some reason, this book did not stick with me at all, which means it is one of the two or three in the middle of this series that get very philosophical, and sort of depressing, as Vlad loses his way a bit, and many of his friends, and spends a lot of time on the run away from Adrilankha. Its still a Vlad novel, but a sad, lack of action sort of Vlad. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 2, 2009 |

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cabral, CirueloCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clark, Bernard SetaroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Martin, and it's about time
PROLOGUE

Woman, girl, man, and boy sat together, like good companions, around a fire in the woods.
Chapter One

Sayn was the first one to see him, and, come to that, the first to see the Harbingers, as well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,917,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible