The Plague of Doves (2008)

by Louise Erdrich

The unsolved murder of a farm family haunts the small, white, off-reservation town of Pluto, North Dakota. The vengeance exacted for this crime and the subsequent distortions of truth transform the lives of Ojibwe living on the nearby reservation and shape the passions of both communities for the next generation.… (more)
    Paradise by Toni Morrison (tangentialine)
    tangentialine: I love how the structure is similar, but also how in both books there is attention to some key characters and a focus on racial tension and the heritage of the past. And the language is breathtakingly gorgeous in both books.
    The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute (CurrerBell)
    The Round House by Louise Erdrich (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you want to read more about the characters and events portrayed in The Round House, read The Plague of Doves, which shares characters and events with the later novel.
    Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie (charl08)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (charl08)

English (71)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (76)
It took a while to understand the back-and-forth of time of the book, but loved how it all came together in the end. ( )
  Picabol | Jun 10, 2020 |
Read 2016, favourite. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 7, 2020 |
A horrific crime affects many in the small town of Pluto, North Dakota: first the murder of a family and second the murder of a group of Ojibwa accused of the crime. Now, as Evelina and her brother grow up and hear the story from their grandfather, a generation or two later families of the perpetrators and victims intertwine and are all affected, in some way, with the aftermath.

Told in multiple perspectives and covering several years - not counting the stories we're told of a generation or two ago - this is a complex read and one I would reread with a pen in hand to tease out the chronology and genealogy of various characters. It's thought-provoking, excellent storytelling. ( )
  bell7 | Dec 17, 2019 |
I'm surprised to discover I read this back in 2008, and even more surprised that it didn't seem to have made much of an impression on me back then. It packs a huge punch now, maybe because I so recently read The Round House, and I could see the threads of characters and themes through the two books. Can't wait now to read LaRose. ( )
  jalbacutler | Dec 4, 2019 |
Lovely ( )
  ibkennedy | Aug 5, 2019 |
Writing in prose that combines the magical sleight of hand of Gabriel García Márquez with the earthy, American rhythms of Faulkner, Ms. Erdrich traces the connections between these characters and their many friends and relatives with sympathy, humor and the unsentimental ardor of a writer who sees that the tragedy and comedy in her people’s lives are ineluctably commingled. Whereas some of her recent novels, like “Four Souls” (2004), have suffered from predictability and contrivance, her storytelling here is supple and assured, easily navigating the wavering line between a recognizable, psychological world and the more arcane world of legend and fable. . . .

Erdrich, Louiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mantovani, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reinharez, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The gun jammed on the last shot and the baby stood holding the crib rail, eyes wild, bawling.
Nothing that happens, nothing, is not connected here by blood.
But of course the entire reservation is rife with conflicting passions. We can't seem to keep our hands off one another, it is true, and every attempt to foil our lusts through laws and religious dictus seems bound instead to excite transgression.
What men call adventures usually consist of the stoical endurance of appalling daily misery.
What doesn't happen in the heat of things? Someone has seized the moment to act on their own biases. That's it. Or history. Sometimes it is history.
I wrote down as much of Mooshum's story as I could remember, and then the relatives of everyone I knew--parents, grandparents, way on back in time. I traced the blood history of the murders through my classmates and friends until I could draw out elaborate spider webs of lines and intersecting circles. I drew in pencil. There were a few people, one of them being Corwin Peace, whose chart was so complicated that I erased parts of it until I wore right through the paper. Still, I could not erase the questions underneath, and Mooshum was no help.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,676,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible