The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich

The Plague of Doves (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Louise Erdrich

Member:ashbrau
Title:The Plague of Doves
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***

The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich (2008)

Paradise by Toni Morrison (tangentialine)
    tangentialine: I love how the structure is similar, but also how in both books there is attention to some key characters and a focus on racial tension and the heritage of the past. And the language is breathtakingly gorgeous in both books.
    The Round House by Louise Erdrich (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you want to read more about the characters and events portrayed in The Round House, read The Plague of Doves, which shares characters and events with the later novel.
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (charl08)
    Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie (charl08)

English (61)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (64)
I really, really enjoyed reading this book! The pace, the writing style, really just everything about it fit me just right! I liked how all of the stories carried threads from each other, both events and familial relationships. And I loved the secret or two revealed at the end! The book starts with a bang of a page, then lets up to tell the tales of the people and their lives. My favorite "chapter" was "Evelina" by far! I'm kind of sad that's it's over. I loved Mooshum, the violin, the priest and the salamander, and the Godzilla nun, maybe too much! This book, combined with the two that followed, are definite must reads for me and I'll be sure to recommend them whenever I can! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 27, 2016 |
The Plague of Doves – Louise Eldritch
4 stars

Plague of Doves is multi-generational story about the lives of the citizens of Pluto, North Dakota.
In some ways the book is a series of short stories told in the individual voices of various characters. Each character tells of lives affected by a single horrific event; the unsolved murder of a farm family and its subsequent lynching. There are multiple storylines and it is difficult to follow the way in which each narrative is connected to all the others. Erdrich draws a complex picture of the growing ripple effect of this early tragedy through the intertwined lives of the Ojibwe and white members of this small community.

This is the second Erdrich book I’ve read and I think she’s become my favorite new discovery. Her characters live and breathe. There’s great richness in her description and metaphor. I love her comic timing.
The tragicomical brothers, Mooshum and Shamengwa, are like jesters in a Shakespearean play. There are so many layers in her writing that I want to go back to the beginning and read it again. Once I read it again to clear up references that I just didn’t get the first time around, I’ll probably want to add the last star to my rating.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Unexpected - I loved this book in the beginning and then it veered off and become a different book than I was expecting. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
This novel includes scenes of heartbreaking violence, but also includes an intermittently whimsical, even childlike narrative voice, and more than a touch of magic-realism lacing through family lore that is written with such a detached loveliness that it seemed to come from a different book, and wow, I really didn't like it. It's as if I ate an Altoid and a Sweet Tart at the same time. Maybe throw in a salt tablet too. There are a handful of books in my reading experience that I can tell objectively are well-written, even fine books, but even so these books repel me because of having too many flavors that don't work together. I could not find a way to integrate these disparate things into a meaningful whole. ( )
  poingu | Jan 23, 2016 |
Writing in prose that combines the magical sleight of hand of Gabriel García Márquez with the earthy, American rhythms of Faulkner, Ms. Erdrich traces the connections between these characters and their many friends and relatives with sympathy, humor and the unsentimental ardor of a writer who sees that the tragedy and comedy in her people’s lives are ineluctably commingled. Whereas some of her recent novels, like “Four Souls” (2004), have suffered from predictability and contrivance, her storytelling here is supple and assured, easily navigating the wavering line between a recognizable, psychological world and the more arcane world of legend and fable. . . .

The gun jammed on the last shot and the baby stood holding the crib rail, eyes wild, bawling.
Nothing that happens, nothing, is not connected here by blood.
But of course the entire reservation is rife with conflicting passions. We can't seem to keep our hands off one another, it is true, and every attempt to foil our lusts through laws and religious dictus seems bound instead to excite transgression.

Louise Erdrich's mesmerizing new novel, her first in almost three years, centers on a compelling mystery. The unsolved murder of a farm family haunts the small, white, off-reservation town of Pluto, North Dakota. The vengeance exacted for this crime and the subsequent distortions of truth transform the lives of Ojibwe living on the nearby reservation and shape the passions of both communities for the next generation. The descendants of Ojibwe and white intermarry, their lives intertwine; only the youngest generation, of mixed blood, remains unaware of the role the past continues to play in their lives.

Evelina Harp is a witty, ambitious young girl, part Ojibwe, part white, who is prone to falling hopelessly in love. Mooshum, Evelina's grandfather, is a seductive storyteller, a repository of family and tribal history with an all-too-intimate knowledge of the violent past. Nobody understands the weight of historical injustice better than Judge Antone Bazil Coutts, a thoughtful mixed blood who witnesses the lives of those who appear before him, and whose own love life reflects the entire history of the territory. In distinct and winning voices, Erdrich's narrators unravel the stories of different generations and families in this corner of North Dakota. Bound by love, torn by history, the two communities' collective stories finally come together in a wrenching truth revealed in the novel's final pages.

The Plague of Doves is one of the major achievements of Louise Erdrich's considerable oeuvre, a quintessentially American story and the most complex and original of her books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

The unsolved murder of a farm family haunts the small, white, off-reservation town of Pluto, North Dakota. The vengeance exacted for this crime and the subsequent distortions of truth transform the lives of Ojibwe living on the nearby reservation and shape the passions of both communities for the next generation.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,808,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible