Field Trip Facts: Notes From Ms.…

Field Trip Facts: Notes From Ms. Frizzle's Kids

by Joanna Cole

Other authors: Bruce Degen (Illustrator)

Series: The Magic School Bus

To buy books e-mail me from the Contact Page.
  antillagorilla | Feb 24, 2016 |
3. Field trip Facts: Notes from Ms Frizzle’s kids, is an informational chapter book written, illustrated, and published in 2007 by Scholastic Books. The Frizzle series of informational books is based on the Magic school bus books by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen. I really liked this book and I am a huge fan of the Magic Schoolbus book series. These are, in my opinion, the best informational science books for children. What I liked about this book is its descriptive language, intricate detailed illustrations, and interactive website provided with the book. My favorite animal in this book that they went over was the Goblin Shark. The language is extremely descriptive about the shark. Tim, the “student” that does the report goes into detail about how this shark gets its name because of its pale pinkish grey coloring that makes it look like a goblin. He goes into detail about the Goblin Sharks habitat deep in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans. The level of detail included helped to imagine the shark and to pull me into the book. The illustrations are surprisingly detailed in this book. The illustrations are drawn in simple black and white printer ink. This unfortunately had me wishing that they were in color. Having the animals in color would have helped me to visualize that animal. However the illustrators went to a great deal to label the parts of the animal to make up for the lack of color. Pages 16 and 17 showcase a common Fruit Bat. The drawing of the Fruit Bat is strewn across the paper with detailed markings that define what part of the body has which function. As an example there is the word “thumb” then a line that points to its third thumb. The detailed diagrams really do make up for the fact that the book was illustrated in black and white. What really caught my attention was that this book came with a website on the back, www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus. This was an awesome idea. If the reader wants to know more about any animal or subject he or she can go to this site and continue the research. This site offers a lot of information on the animals covered and their habitats. Animals and habitats were at the center of this story. The animals in this story introduced the reader to their habitat. ( )
  cbower6 | Nov 26, 2013 |
Summary:
The magic school bus, Field Trip Facts from Ms. Frizzle’s Kids is a book full of journal entry facts from each child in her class from one of the field trips they have been on and learned something about. I chose to share The Tail of a Whale by: Phoebe. He shared that a whale is made up of a pair of flukes, with a notch in the middle. The whale swims by pushing the flukes up and down in the water and wiggling the rear of its body. It uses it’s flippers to steer and the dorsal fin on its back helps the whale stay right side up. This book is full of short facts about different Dolphins, Whales, Sharks and Farmer Fish.

Personal Reaction:
This book was like a small encyclopedia for me. Wonderful facts that gets right to the point. I would not mind making this book apart of my collection. Children ‘s attention spans are not the greatest but I felt that this book would have them learn exactly what they needed to know and may even intrigue them to read the field book that their information stemmed from. Ms. Frizzles has some fun adventures.

Extension Ideas:

1.Create a report about whales giving 3 Facts and 3 Opinions and one drawing

2.Compare and contrast 3 different fish in the ocean.
  CharityWilliams | Nov 7, 2013 |

Cole, Joannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Degen, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

How does a bat hunt? Is spider-silk stronger than steel? How fast can a kangaroo hop? The kids in Ms. Frizzle's class have traveled the globe learning cool science facts. Read their reports, and let them take you on a fun-filled field trip on the Magic School Bus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,993,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible