Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli

Smiles to Go (2008)

by Jerry Spinelli

I love Jerry Spinelli, and although this isn't my favorite, it is a great read none the less. The poetry and science bits aligned to the characters could produce rich discussions. This nerdy teen Will tangles with the big questions of the secrets of life, and students who enjoy those type of characters will enjoy this book. ( )
  TLDennis | Jul 27, 2016 |
Only for true Spinelli fans. Felt contrived. Seemed as if Spinelli called up a guidance counselor because he was hunting for a problem, for an idea- his heart didn't seem to be in it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I'll start off saying that it took me two tries to get going with this book. Part of it could be that after starting it, I went on vacation for a week and lost the mood. The other part is the book itself. Even the second time, it took a bit for me to get interested in it. It's leisurely paced and calculated, like the main character Will Tuppence, who has a scientific mind and enjoys breaking life into measurable parts.

Will is obsessed with the proton; all his life he has believed that somethings existed that was indestructible. One morning he learns otherwise and it turns his world upside down. This event is the catalyst for all other events in the book. The death of the proton changes Will's view of his world. This provides a different backdrop for the typical teen experience of experiencing love for the first time, coming to terms with other people's choices and dealing with a bratty younger sister.

It took some time but toward the end of the book I decided I liked it. It's not going on my top ten list, but it was worth the read. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
It is impossible not to love Will from page 1. All of the characters are vivid and well developed. Will is so realistic that I found myself wanting to walk up and smack him on the back of the head, sometimes. Although this is Will's story, other characters share the spotlight, particularly Tabby. The story itself is well paced, with moments that will have you laughing out loud in one moment and holding your breath, the next.

Pros: Every teen should spend some time with Will, BT, Mi-Su, Tabby, and Korbet. He just might help them answer some of those age-old questions about the secrets of life!

There's more to our review. Visit The Reading Tub®. While you’re there, add a link to your review.
  TheReadingTub | Feb 3, 2016 |
Narrated by Conor Donovan. I listened to this at the same time as "Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie" and there were so many similarities, right down to the black jellybeans, that I got confused which story I was listening to! Will is obsessive about selected areas of his life: does Mi Su like me, what was that kiss between Mi Su and BT all about, plotting the minutiae of his Valentine's date, etc. I wanted to shake him and tell him to loosen up! The story and Will's character became more interesting with Tabby's accident and Will's interactions with Korbet, the 5-year-old neighbor crushing on Tabby. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
To my schoolmates Norristown High School, Class of '59
When I was five or six a high school kid lived next door.

Question: What is stargazer, skateboarder, chess champs, pepperoni pizza eater, older brother, sister hater, best friend, first kisser, science geek, control freak Will Tuppence so afraid of in this great big universe? A. A first kiss B. A skateboard run down Dead Man's Hill C. The death of a proton D. All of the above Jerry Spinelli knows the answer. (ARC)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0064471977, Paperback)

Everything changes the day ninth-grader Will Tuppence learns one startling fact: protons-those tiny atomic particles, the building-blocks to the building-blocks of life-can die. The one thing that was so certain in this world to Will has an expiration date.

And Will′s carefully planned-out life?

Not so certain, either.

Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli tips Will′s world on its side to show that the beauty and wonder of life is in not knowing what comes next.

Ages: 10+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

Will Tuppence's life has always been ruled by science and common sense but in ninth grade, shaken up by the discovery that protons decay, he begins to see the entire world differently and gains new perspective on his relationships with his little sister and two closest friends.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible