Crown of slaves by David Weber
Member:CaUplWL
Title:Crown of slaves
Authors:David Weber
Other authors:Eric Flint
Info:Riverdale, NY : New York : Baen ; Distributed by Simon & Schuster, c2003.
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction, Science Fiction - Military

Crown of Slaves by David Weber

David Weber is definitely a writing machine. To help him in his endeavors he has a co-author for this series of books. The story revolves around the back story of the Honor Harrington series. I found the whole book to be very interesting especially after getting well into the Honor Harrington Series. Honor herself makes a cameo appearance along with a few other individuals from the series of books. In many ways I find this set of books to be more interesting than the Honor series and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  BobVTReader | Sep 21, 2012 |
A bit complicated in the story line and back history that introduces some players that met on Earth, as well as some huge players behind the scenes involving a funeral and a huge conspiracy on galactic scale. The players are many, they weave a complex tale that hints of more to come, but leaves one unsure of exactly what happens on the first read. It must be read a couple of times to figure out all of the interweaving conspiracies and double and even triple dealing that takes place in a casino, a slave planet, the Maya Sector, Haven's new deal with a former Mantie ally, and the plans wrought by Manpower? or is it someone else? ( )
  Ceysa | Oct 7, 2010 |
Good but not magnificent. The beginning, especially - Anton's 'interview' with the Queen - was a little Mary Sue, the way he kept coming up with answers before she asked the questions. Cute, but it didn't feel right to me. And again, his hieing off to Smoking Frog and leaving the girls alone (admittedly with the Princess's bodyguards and du Havel, but still) doesn't feel right. Once the action starts, given the characters delineated in the first part of the book (and in previous books), there's really not much choice about paths - though I was amused at what made Oversteegan change his mind and support the scheme. He's right, it's totally insane on many levels - but given the alternatives... And the early foreshadowing about what Berry would end up doing. Helen was almost right... Lots of good bits. It only stays together _while_ I'm reading, though - when I think about it afterward it makes a lot of no sense. But while it's in process, I can't see any alternatives (that those particular characters would choose) either. And I do like Victor. Oh, and there are a lot of Flint-style actions/reactions - I noticed it in several parts, including the interview with the Queen. It's not bad - I like Flint's style, actually - but it's quite different from Weber's usual descriptions. I think I noticed it more than usual since I had just read 1632.
On reread, and without reading this review: liked it better. Very rich. I'd read this before, but not reviewed it - when I first read it I was amazed at all the plots and overlapping conspiracies going on. But compared to Torch of Freedom, this is simple and straightforward. Only two major plots - well, three. Or four, if you count Victor's original aim in going to Erewhon. Or maybe - OK, lots of plots. But still simpler than Torch. The whole thing with Berry and Ruth doubling is - interesting, and conductive to mass confusion. Then Zilwicki gets lured off - I don't think I've read the story of what happened in Smoking Frog, I'm not sure anyone's written it. The expanded Masadans take their chance, the Solarians and Cachat step in, Ruth and Berry play their parts, and then things get - _interesting_. The joke around the dinner table suddenly becomes not a joke.... Flint's writing style is all over this - people 'hiss' their words, repeat things multiple times for emphasis, shake their heads a dozen different ways...I notice it more on rereading, for whatever reason. It does convey emotion quite strongly, but it's a very distinctive style - I can spot a Flint-written scene just about every time. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 24, 2009 |
Not very good; I can only assume Eric Flint wrote the bulk of the book, because Weber is usually much better. I read it a few years ago, and all I remember is that it seemed to be written by a 14 year old with a bondage fixation. ( )
  Tam_Lin | Sep 10, 2007 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flint,EricAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kotarski, JarosławTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To Andre Norton ---

Andre, you proved long ago that being a giant
has nothing to do with physical stature. You've been
taking giant steps and teaching the art of story-telling
for over half a century, and we are among those---
those many---who have been privileged to be your
students. It's time we told the teacher thank you.
"I'm really nervous, Daddy," whispered Berry, glancing almost furtively at the resplendently uniformed soldiers who seemed to line the entire length of the hallway leading to Queen Elizabeth's private audience chamber.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743498992, Mass Market Paperback)

Beginning a new blockbuster series set in the "Honorverse"-the universe of Honor Harrington. The Star Kingdom's ally Erewhon is growing increasingly restive in the alliance because the new High Ridge regime ignores its needs. Add to that the longstanding problem of a slave labor planet controlled by hostile Mesans in Erewhon's stellar back yard, a problem which High Ridge also ignores. Finally, the recent assassination of the Solarian League's most prominent voice of public conscience indicates the growing danger of political instability in the Solarian League - which is also close to Erewhon. In desperation, Queen Elizabeth tries to defuse the situation by sending a private mission to Erewhon led by Captain Zilwicki, accompanied by one of her nieces. When they arrive on Erewhon, however, Manticore's most capable agent and one of its princesses find themselves in a mess. Not only do they encounter one of the Republic of Haven's most capable agents - Victor Cachat - but they also discover that the Solarian League's military delegation seems up to its neck in skullduggery. And, just to put the icing on the cake, the radical freed slave organization, the Audubon Ballroom, is also on the scene - led by its most notorious killer, Jeremy X.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:31 -0400)

With its ally Erewhon growing restive, the Star Kingdom's Queen Elizabeth sends a mission to Erewhon, but upon arriving at their destination, they find a conspiracy led by the Solarian League's military delegation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible