Jhereg by Steven Brust
1,487367,575 (3.98)1 / 165
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (thegryph)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    ow1goddess: Some similarity in basic plot elements and the tone of the first-person narrator.

English (36)  Czech (1)  All languages (37)
I'm a bit of an idiot. For some reason (the weird name in the titled, weirdly spelled, plus the series' name, plus some one sentence descriptions I must have picked up at some point in time) I had always believed this series to be Science Fiction about a Planet of Psychic Vampires. I was sure of it, the same way that, despite not having read, say, "Crumpets With a Spot of Death: A Margie Doobs Mystery", I would be sure that it would be a cozy mystery with characters who eat dessert and own cats.

But I was wrong. Jhereg is not SciFi, nor is it set on a planet of Psychic Vampires. It's a high fantasy adventure romp, with enjoyable antiheroes (the main character's a proud assassin), similar to, say, The Lies of Locke Lamora, or the Riyria books, and is in other word right up my alley. (To be fair, the main character has "psionic" powers, so I was 15% right).

4 stars because (a) I'm not okay with everyone being so casual about So Many People being Assassins (or having been one), and (b) it seemed like the author didn't love it over, and invented hoops to make Assassination seem Not So Bad (e.g. frequent easy ressurection). Those bits felt uncomfortable and cludgy, but are really at the essence of the book, so it's a testament to how much I liked it anyway that it still got 4 stars. It's like giving A Wrinkle in Time 4 stars despite not liking children's books and being uncomfortable with extra-planetary settings.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 30, 2018 |
A nice fun quick fantasy tale with lots of action and magic throughout the story. I like the world building and the characters introduced in this tale and hope to read more of this author.

4 Stars for a fun read. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
This was probably closer to 2.5 stars. This was interesting, but there was something very odd about this book, something I can't quite put my fingers on. I did feel like I was missing something (a feeling I often have with science fiction). I felt like Vlad was having a conversation with me, and I can't figure out if I liked that sense of intimacy or if it irritated me. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
This is a reread for me. Read it when it first came out. I don't remember why I ever stopped reading the series. Decided to give it a go. Glad I did. Still wonderful. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
while the action level is good and the story does draw you in at first - I am finding after a half dozen chapters that I am only minimally connected to any of the characters. Ending confrontation was better than rest of book but felt flimsy compared to the top authors I enjoy
probably will not read more by author ( )
  jason9292 | Jul 14, 2017 |

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, Bernard SetaroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
Who understand professionalism better than I ever will
There is a similarity, if I may be permitted an excursion into tenuous metaphor, between the feel of a chilly breeze and the feel of a knife's blade, as either is laid across the back on the neck.

There are many ways to advance in the world. Vlad Taltos chose the route of assassin. His qualifications:quick wits & sword, a smattering of witchcraft & his constant companion- a young jhereg, its leathery wings and poisonous teeth always at Vlad's command, its alien mind psionically linked with his own. . .

Collects the first three adventures of the swashbuckling assassin Vlad Taltos and his smart-mouthed reptile familiar Loiosh.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,385,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible