The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

The Pilot's Wife (edition 1999)

by Anita Shreve

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Family drama, Not kept

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Recently added bymootzymom, nadstravelen, MacandrewBayLibrary, private library, Shannon29, MCocuzzo2, Soulcity

English (96)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (99)
This is the best book I've read in a long, long time. I hated every minute that I had to put it down. A story unlike any I've read. The descriptions of what Kathryn felt seemed like they came from a firsthand knowledge. I can't understand how anyone would know how to put them into words if they hadn't experienced them personally. I'll be thinking about this book for a long time. There was one remarkable sentence in particular that really struck me, "To be relieved of love, she thought, was to give up a terrible burden". ( )
  shesinplainview | Mar 26, 2015 |
A.S. is a good story teller. #1 National Bestseller. Book was an okay read. ( )
  trudychar | Mar 20, 2015 |
This was a wonderful book. I read it in two days. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
This was a wonderful book. I read it in two days. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
I am surprised at the reviews of the readers who did not care for this. I mean it wasn't the greatest book ever, but it was really very enjoyable - the unraveling of the mystery of the marriage, the flashbacks to clues that never really made an impression, the frisson of romance from practically the first chapter. People are imperfect. Was the whole IRA thing kind of from left field, and hard to imagine? Yeah, but then again, I read to be entertained...and I was! ( )
  MaureenCean | Jan 3, 2015 |
For Christopher
She heard a knocking, and then a dog barking.

A pilot's wife is taught to be prepared for the late-night knock at the door. But when Kathryn Lyons receives word that a plane flown by her husband Jack, has exploded near the coast of Ireland, she confronts the unfathomable-one startling revelation at a time. Soon drawn into a maelstrom of publicity fueled by rumors that Jack led a secret life, Kathryn sets out to learn who her husband really was, whatever that knowledge might cost. Her search propels this taut, impassioned novel as it movingly explores the question: How can we really ever know another person?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316601950, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, March 1999: With five novels to her credit, including the acclaimed The Weight of Water, Anita Shreve now offers a skillfully crafted exploration of the long reach of tragedy in The Pilot's Wife. News of Jack Lyons's fatal crash sends his wife into shock and emotional numbness:
Kathryn wished she could manage a coma. Instead, it seemed that quite the opposite had happened: She felt herself to be inside of a private weather system, one in which she was continuously tossed and buffeted by bits of news and information, sometimes chilled by thoughts of what lay immediately ahead, thawed by the kindness of others ... frequently drenched by memories that seemed to have no regard for circumstance or place, and then subjected to the nearly intolerable heat of reporters, photographers and curious on-lookers. It was a weather system with no logic, she had decided, no pattern, no progression, no form.
The situation becomes even more dire when the plane's black box is recovered, pinning responsibility for the crash on Jack. In an attempt to clear his name, Kathryn searches for any and all clues to the hours before the flight. Yet each discovery forces her to realize that she didn't know her husband of 16 years at all. Shreve's complex and highly convincing treatment of Kathryn's dilemma, coupled with intriguing minor characters and an expertly paced plot, makes The Pilot's Wife really take off.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:31 -0400)

After his plane explodes, a pilot's wife hears rumors that he led a secret life, and she decides to find out who her husband really was.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,861,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible