The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

The Pilot's Wife (edition 1999)

by Anita Shreve

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Family drama, Not kept

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

English (104)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (107)
This was a quick, easy read even if it did make me roll my eyes after the first 1/4. It's not great, it's not horrible (it really isn't... if we're going to properly compare). I picked this up used for cheap and am glad I didn't go out of my way to read it. I'll probably look for more from this author at the library when I want a simple something. I found it made for a good bathtub book for me.

And what were the last two lines supposed to mean? ( )
  dathyni | Aug 5, 2016 |
okay — they had Terra chips + we just discovered them. What a marriage goes from being in love to loving — a long time ago

Until now, Kathryn Lyons's life has been peaceful if unextraordinary: a satisfying job teaching high school in the New England mill town of her childhood; a picture-perfect home by the ocean; a precocious, independent-minded fifteen-year-old daughter; and a happy marriage whose occasional dull passages she attributes to the unavoidable deadening effect of time. As a pilot's wife, Kathryn has learned to expect both intense exhilaration and long periods alone—but nothing has prepared her for the late-night knock that lets her know her husband has died in a crash.
  christinejoseph | Jun 28, 2016 |
Jack, a pilot, is flying a plane when it explodes. His widow tries to figure out what happened on the plane and uncovers something about her husband of sixteen years she did not know about. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
When a plane goes down as a result of a terrorist plot, the pilot's wife discovers that her husband had another wife across the ocean. That discovery leads to others. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 13, 2016 |
I am surprised at the reviews of the readers who did not care for this. I mean it wasn't the greatest book ever, but it was really very enjoyable - the unraveling of the mystery of the marriage, the flashbacks to clues that never really made an impression, the frisson of romance from practically the first chapter. People are imperfect. Was the whole IRA thing kind of from left field, and hard to imagine? Yeah, but then again, I read to be entertained...and I was! ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |

Anita Shreveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shreve, Anitamain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Christopher
She heard a knocking, and then a dog barking.

A pilot's wife is taught to be prepared for the late-night knock at the door. But when Kathryn Lyons receives word that a plane flown by her husband Jack, has exploded near the coast of Ireland, she confronts the unfathomable-one startling revelation at a time. Soon drawn into a maelstrom of publicity fueled by rumors that Jack led a secret life, Kathryn sets out to learn who her husband really was, whatever that knowledge might cost. Her search propels this taut, impassioned novel as it movingly explores the question: How can we really ever know another person?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316601950, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, March 1999: With five novels to her credit, including the acclaimed The Weight of Water, Anita Shreve now offers a skillfully crafted exploration of the long reach of tragedy in The Pilot's Wife. News of Jack Lyons's fatal crash sends his wife into shock and emotional numbness:
Kathryn wished she could manage a coma. Instead, it seemed that quite the opposite had happened: She felt herself to be inside of a private weather system, one in which she was continuously tossed and buffeted by bits of news and information, sometimes chilled by thoughts of what lay immediately ahead, thawed by the kindness of others ... frequently drenched by memories that seemed to have no regard for circumstance or place, and then subjected to the nearly intolerable heat of reporters, photographers and curious on-lookers. It was a weather system with no logic, she had decided, no pattern, no progression, no form.
The situation becomes even more dire when the plane's black box is recovered, pinning responsibility for the crash on Jack. In an attempt to clear his name, Kathryn searches for any and all clues to the hours before the flight. Yet each discovery forces her to realize that she didn't know her husband of 16 years at all. Shreve's complex and highly convincing treatment of Kathryn's dilemma, coupled with intriguing minor characters and an expertly paced plot, makes The Pilot's Wife really take off.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:59 -0400)

After his plane explodes, a pilot's wife hears rumors that he led a secret life, and she decides to find out who her husband really was.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,404,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible