The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

The Pilot's Wife (edition 1999)

by Anita Shreve

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Family drama, Not kept

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

English (91)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (94)
Beautifully written in its lyrical language and the sensitive nature with which Anita manages to touch such heartbreaking topics. ( )
  JenniferTressen | Jul 7, 2014 |
Read during: Spring 2002

I felt completely manipulated by this novel. The quality of the writing is good but the plot line is rather implausible but not implausible enough to be a good thriller. I knew I was supposed to be sympathetic to the characters but they ended up just annoying me and then I stopped believing in it. The plot twists were fairly obvious, for the most part, and I was mostly suprised that she went for such a trite solution. Dissapointing.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
The Good: Anita Shreve writes well and he books never fail to suck you in, even if you aren't loving where the story is going.

The Bad: This was a depressing book with a unrealistic ending. To throw some romance in at the end, as if Kathryn would been remotely stable enough at that point in her life for anything to work out, is ludicrous. She's obviously obsessive about the husband, not able to let go of this "secret" even though he's dead and she should just mourn and move on. ( )
  TequilaReader | May 30, 2014 |
Ehhhh...I keep waffling between three and four stars for this. Did I "like it" or did I "really like it?" I'm not sure. Let's start here: I envy Anita Shreve's ability with words. She's an evocative writer, and extraordinarily skilled. She's observant, and I like that about her. I will be reading more of her writing.

I liked these characters--even the ones who weren't obviously likeable. I wanted to spend more time with them. Buuuuut...I wasn't thrilled with the ending Shreve gave them. I felt it was too easy--too trite. I think maybe the book should have ended about five pages before it did. And that's all I'll say.

Okay. Four stars. With a good ending, I think it might even have had potential to be a five. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
American airline pilot, Jack Lyons, is killed in a mid-air explosion off the coast of northern Ireland. When transportation investigators recover the aircraft's "black box," the press on both sides of the Atlantic have a field day. Did Lyons commit suicide, and take down over a hundred airline passengers with him? Was the fate of the flight caused by pilot error? Had he been irritated, depressed, or otherwise out of sorts when he left his New Hampshire home to fly his regular route? As the investigation unravels the facts behind the catastrophe, Lyons' widow, Kathryn, will have cause to wish the flight recorder had never been found. She will also have cause to wonder whom, exactly, she was married to sixteen years.

Spent a wintry Sunday engrossed in The Pilot's Wife and thoroughly enjoyed it. Story line is skillful and suspenseful; and the sense of coastal New Hampshire is lovely. Shreve is a quick, reliable escape read for me, and I appreciate her for that. ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Feb 10, 2014 |
For Christopher
She heard a knocking, and then a dog barking.

A pilot's wife is taught to be prepared for the late-night knock at the door. But when Kathryn Lyons receives word that a plane flown by her husband Jack, has exploded near the coast of Ireland, she confronts the unfathomable-one startling revelation at a time. Soon drawn into a maelstrom of publicity fueled by rumors that Jack led a secret life, Kathryn sets out to learn who her husband really was, whatever that knowledge might cost. Her search propels this taut, impassioned novel as it movingly explores the question: How can we really ever know another person?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316601950, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, March 1999: With five novels to her credit, including the acclaimed The Weight of Water, Anita Shreve now offers a skillfully crafted exploration of the long reach of tragedy in The Pilot's Wife. News of Jack Lyons's fatal crash sends his wife into shock and emotional numbness:
Kathryn wished she could manage a coma. Instead, it seemed that quite the opposite had happened: She felt herself to be inside of a private weather system, one in which she was continuously tossed and buffeted by bits of news and information, sometimes chilled by thoughts of what lay immediately ahead, thawed by the kindness of others ... frequently drenched by memories that seemed to have no regard for circumstance or place, and then subjected to the nearly intolerable heat of reporters, photographers and curious on-lookers. It was a weather system with no logic, she had decided, no pattern, no progression, no form.
The situation becomes even more dire when the plane's black box is recovered, pinning responsibility for the crash on Jack. In an attempt to clear his name, Kathryn searches for any and all clues to the hours before the flight. Yet each discovery forces her to realize that she didn't know her husband of 16 years at all. Shreve's complex and highly convincing treatment of Kathryn's dilemma, coupled with intriguing minor characters and an expertly paced plot, makes The Pilot's Wife really take off.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:31 -0400)

After his plane explodes, a pilot's wife hears rumors that he led a secret life, and she decides to find out who her husband really was.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible