The poisonwood Bible : a novel by Barbara…

The poisonwood Bible : a novel (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Barbara Kingsolver

Member:bookthief2
Title:The poisonwood Bible : a novel
Authors:Barbara Kingsolver
Info:New York : HarperFlamingo, c1998.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (1998)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (paulkid)
    paulkid: Race relations on different continents, told from multiple female perspectives.
    The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (derelicious)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (momofthreewi)
    momofthreewi: Both are rich in character development and centered around unique families.
    Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver (Booksloth)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (jlelliott)
    jlelliott: Each tells the story of Christian missionaries in Africa, one from the perspective of the missionaries, one from the perspective of the local people targeted for "salvation".
    The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (kraaivrouw)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (WSB7)
    WSB7: Both about "colonialisms" abuses in the Congo, among other themes.
    Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton (allenmichie)
    Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (allenmichie)
    The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver (GreenVelvet)
    King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild (baobab)
    Someone Knows My Name: A Novel by Lawrence Hill (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: The book has a similar familial tone and is also told from the point of view of young girls growing up in a difficult situation. I had been looking for a book with a similar writing style and was happy to find this one. If you liked The Book of Negroes I recommend The Poisonwood Bible and vice versa.… (more)
    The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux (whirled)
    A Passage to India by E. M. Forster (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: You could use the theme of colonialism to pair The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver with Passage to India by E. M. Forster.
    Jesus Land: A Memoir by Julia Scheeres (literarysarah)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (kiwiflowa)
    Blood River: A Journey to Africa's Broken Heart by Tim Butcher (CatherineRM)
    CatherineRM: I love both these books and they nicely juxtapose each other with their Congo total immersion albeit one fictional and one factual. Tim Butcher traces the Congo River from its source through the dense equatorial land that the protagonist of the Kingsolver book occupied with his suffering family. Both books made a lasting impression on me and I have great time for Africa as I lived in Tanzania - close to Congo geographically for most of the time - and it has a big place in my heart. Read both books and be enriched!… (more)
    The Civilized World by Susi Wyss (ShortStoryLover)
    ShortStoryLover: Although it's much shorter than Poisonwood, The Civilized World also has multiple points of view from female perspectives and the chapters are almost all set in various parts of present-day Africa.
    My Notorious Life by Kate Manning (wandergirl881)
    wandergirl881: Well researched historical fiction
    Swimming in the Congo by Margaret Meyers (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Another book about a young girl, the daughter of missionaries, growing up in the Congo. (Published prior to Poisonwood.)

English (394)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (397)
It’s taken me quite a while to put together a review for The Poisonwood Bible because I’ve been having a difficult time sorting out my opinions of it. I absolutely loved some aspects of it, but at other times, the book just wasn’t doing it for me.

What I Loved

I loved the characters. Well, I despised some of them–but I loved the way they were developed.

Since the four daughters (Rachel, Adah, Leah, and Ruth May) and their mother take turns narrating the story, I really got to know them, with their own distinct voices and personalities. Although all five of them were living together in a house in a tiny village in Congo, under the domineering rule of the man of the family, they all had remarkably different experiences there–and even their shared hardships and tragedies were processed in their own unique ways.

I also loved the details of the story. The first half of the book especially was overflowing with detail. What would a family of privileged, white, conservative Christians from Georgia think of life in a poor, rural Congo village? We get to see exactly what each member of the family (except Nathan) notice: the animals, the sounds and smells, the people, the way nature works in Congo.

Finally, I loved the overarching message of the novel as a whole: you just can’t go in to an entirely different culture and try to force your ways on them. All of the women in the Price family come to realize this, and they even begin to question their own beliefs.

What I Didn’t Love

I found the pacing of the book to be rather unbalanced. The first half, when the girls are children, moves much more slowly. We get a lot of detail about their daily lives and the little experiences they have–which is necessary, I think, to establish the foreignness of their new life. The second half, however, takes great leaps in time–months, even years–and so much happens that major events only referenced or skimmed over. It felt as though the author was rushing to finish the story. I had expected the book to end much sooner than it did.

Overall, I enjoyed this story because it gave me a lot to think about, and it greatly increased my interest in Congo’s history and liberation. ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
It is the story of a missionary family's trek to the Congo, told through the eyes of the four daughters and their mother. The father is a misguided preacher who is trying to escape past demons by force-feeding Christ to a culture that he has neither researched nor desires to understand (the name of the book is a reference to his misuse of the native language -- so instead of calling the Bible something holy, he's referring to it as a poisonous tree).

I loved how Kingsolver shows the world view of an entire family who is experiencing the same basic situations in the Congo, but each member deals with these things very differently. ( )
  kathomson | Apr 30, 2016 |
I loved this book. Everything about it! ( )
  A.E.Wasp | Apr 20, 2016 |
Journal Entry 4 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, October 24, 2004

Well I am finally reading the book. I have read about 3 chapters so far.
Lately I prefer reading true crime again so that's why it took me so long.

I,ll update this journal while reading.

Update October 27 2004

Still reading. Right now I am at page 269 of 616 pages.
I can't say it is going to be one of the best books I have read this year, but the story is to interesting to put down. I really want to know what will happen to the girls and the mother. I dislike the selfish father very much.
So far I am enjoying the book.

Update October 28 2004
Finished!
I have read this book very fast. I really liked the middle part of the book, could not stop reading last night.
This morning I read the last part and had to shed a tear.
I thought the book to be very interesting and sometimes heartbreaking.
The negative thing was that it got sometimes boring, but never for long.
thanks for sharing ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
A very gripping story I couldn't tear myself away from. A great read! ( )
  junepearl | Mar 4, 2016 |
Kingsolver once wrote that ""The point [of portraying other cultures] is not to emulate other lives, or usurp their wardrobes. The point is to find sense.'' Her effort to make sense of the Congo's tragic struggle for independence is fully realized, richly embroidered, triumphant.
added by Shortride | editNewsweek (Nov 9, 1998)

A writer who casts a preacher as a fool and a villain had best not be preachy. Kingsolver manages not to be, in part because she is a gifted magician of words--her sleight-of-phrase easily distracting a reader who might be on the point of rebellion. Her novel is both powerful and quite simple. It is also angrier and more direct than her earlier books.
added by Shortride | editTime, John Skow (Nov 9, 1998)

The Congo permeates ''The Poisonwood Bible,'' and yet this is a novel that is just as much about America, a portrait, in absentia, of the nation that sent the Prices to save the souls of a people for whom it felt only contempt, people who already, in the words of a more experienced missionary, ''have a world of God's grace in their lives, along with a dose of hardship that can kill a person entirely.''

Although ''The Poisonwood Bible'' takes place in the former Belgian Congo and begins in 1959 and ends in the 1990's, Barbara Kingsolver's powerful new book is actually an old-fashioned 19th-century novel, a Hawthornian tale of sin and redemption and the ''dark necessity'' of history.

Barbara Kingsolverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beard, ElliottDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metz, JulieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meyer, HanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulder, ArjenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post, MaaikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spear, GeoffCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Frances
Imagine a ruin so strange it must never have happened.
I could never work out whether we were to view religion as a life-insurance policy or a life sentence. I can understand a wrathful God who'd just as soon dangle us all from a hook. And I can understand a tender, unprejudiced Jesus. But I could never quite figure the two of them living in the same house.
It is true that I do not speak as well as I can think. But that is true of most people, as nearly as I can tell.
While my husband's intentions crystallized as rock salt, and while I preoccupied myself with private survival, the Congo breathed behind the curtain of forest, preparing to roll over us like a river.
Synopsis for the Dutch version:
"Eind jaren vijftig trekt Nathan Price met zijn vrouw Orleanna en hun vier dochters naar een dorp in Kongo om de bevolking tot het Christendom te bekeren. De onderneming is van begin af aan gedoemd te mislukken. Het gezin is niet ingesteld op de harde, primitieve levensomstandigheden, en Nathans fanatisme en onbegrip voor zijn omgeving roepen gevaarlijke reacties over hen af. Als de kerk zijn handen van Nathan af trekt en de onrust in Kongo toeneemt, vlucht Orleanna met haar dochters door het oerwoud naar de bewoonde wereld. De gifhouten bijbel is een meeslepende familiegeschiedenis en een ontnuchterend verslag van de gruwelen van religieus fundamentalisme in een uitgebuit land tussen kolonialisme en onafhankelijkheid."

The year is 1959 and the place is the Belgian Congo. Nathan, a Baptist preacher, has come to spread the word in a remote village reachable only by airplane. To say that he and his family are woefully unprepared would be an understatement.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060786507, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, June 2000: As any reader of The Mosquito Coast knows, men who drag their families to far-off climes in pursuit of an Idea seldom come to any good, while those familiar with At Play in the Fields of the Lord or Kalimantaan understand that the minute a missionary sets foot on the fictional stage, all hell is about to break loose. So when Barbara Kingsolver sends missionary Nathan Price along with his wife and four daughters off to Africa in The Poisonwood Bible, you can be sure that salvation is the one thing they're not likely to find. The year is 1959 and the place is the Belgian Congo. Nathan, a Baptist preacher, has come to spread the Word in a remote village reachable only by airplane. To say that he and his family are woefully unprepared would be an understatement: "We came from Bethlehem, Georgia, bearing Betty Crocker cake mixes into the jungle," says Leah, one of Nathan's daughters. But of course it isn't long before they discover that the tremendous humidity has rendered the mixes unusable, their clothes are unsuitable, and they've arrived in the middle of political upheaval as the Congolese seek to wrest independence from Belgium. In addition to poisonous snakes, dangerous animals, and the hostility of the villagers to Nathan's fiery take-no-prisoners brand of Christianity, there are also rebels in the jungle and the threat of war in the air. Could things get any worse?

In fact they can and they do. The first part of The Poisonwood Bible revolves around Nathan's intransigent, bullying personality and his effect on both his family and the village they have come to. As political instability grows in the Congo, so does the local witch doctor's animus toward the Prices, and both seem to converge with tragic consequences about halfway through the novel. From that point on, the family is dispersed and the novel follows each member's fortune across a span of more than 30 years.

The Poisonwood Bible is arguably Barbara Kingsolver's most ambitious work, and it reveals both her great strengths and her weaknesses. As Nathan Price's wife and daughters tell their stories in alternating chapters, Kingsolver does a good job of differentiating the voices. But at times they can grate--teenage Rachel's tendency towards precious malapropisms is particularly annoying (students practice their "French congregations"; Nathan's refusal to take his family home is a "tapestry of justice"). More problematic is Kingsolver's tendency to wear her politics on her sleeve; this is particularly evident in the second half of the novel, in which she uses her characters as mouthpieces to explicate the complicated and tragic history of the Belgian Congo.

Despite these weaknesses, Kingsolver's fully realized, three-dimensional characters make The Poisonwood Bible compelling, especially in the first half, when Nathan Price is still at the center of the action. And in her treatment of Africa and the Africans she is at her best, exhibiting the acute perception, moral engagement, and lyrical prose that have made her previous novels so successful. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

The tale of one family's tragic undoing and remarkable reconstruction over the course of three decades in post-colonial Africa. An evangelical minister discovers that everything--from garden seeds to Scripture--is transformed on African soil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible