Enchanting the Lady by Kathryne Kennedy

Enchanting the Lady

by Kathryne Kennedy

Reading the synopsis above, what on earth is a duchy??

I generally don't read paranormal romance like this, but it was sent through a book club I'm in (her premier into Dorchester). Although it was a bit heavy on the fantasy I was able to enjoy the book for what it's worth; the characters were easy to get into and the writing style was descriptive and smooth. Scenes ran together quickly, not lagging to allow dull moments, while there was plenty of tension (particularly on Blackwell's side) to keep suspense in the air at all times.

I had begun to suspect one of the culprits before the hero seemed to, and am a bit surprised he didn't catch on earlier. The side sub-plot of Cousin Ralph dished out a surprisingly juicy tidbit, and the story began with a dreadfully tense moment where she was revealed as being powerful. I literally bit my lip through the entire scene, practically feeling her humiliation. I found the heroine's preoccupation with Blackwell's sisters a little too much on the melodramatic side, but hey, whatever floats the characters boat. The ending where she shows a new talent toward her mate was also almost too convenient and slightly cheesy, but in another way warm and the only way it could be. (I don't almost make sense here, folks.) I haven't read Kennedy before, but the woman has a wonderful way with words that manages to convey emotion admirably.

The world is much different than others typically penned; titles are granted not on money and esteem and family name, but on the amount of magic descendants prove. There are relics to be used for dark magic, which the court cannot defend themselves against, and these relics are why I think this is borderline fantasy. I never would have envisioned a seductive lion, but Blackwell is done in a way to where it works. I'm more of a vamp gal than a shifter fan, but nevertheless it was still a rewarding reading experience.

This Victorian-type fairy tale is laden with beautiful settings, an almost mystical enemy (have to love the plants), funny sidekicks, and a blissfully happy ending. I especially enjoyed how Blackwell threw everything out the window eventually, even deciding that if the magic were being used by Felicity for evil purposes, that he would still love her. There's enough of a mystery present to keep the reader wondering about various aspects and in the dark to the true intent of many; in the end it all wraps together and leaves no loose weavings that would ultimately unravel this wondrous tale.

If you are into paranormal romance with a bite of fantasy, this is sure to please. At 292 pages, it's a shorter novel, and with Kennedy's writing style, it goes even quicker.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
The heroine feels like such a disappointment to her family when it becomes clear that not only is she not beautiful but she ingerited nothing of her parents magic abilities. As such, she's stripped of her title and without the good charitfy of her aunt and uncle she was be out in the streets. Then she catches the eye of a baronet- a lion shifter. She's astonished that not only can he see her, he also makes his intentions to court her none. The hero is on the hunt for a relic and when he smells the evil magic on the timid but stunning young woman, he's intiqued. He lies to himself about only courting her to get close to the artifcat when in fact he's deeply attracted to her. His lion is crying mate and he knows that every second he spends in her company makes it harder and harder to keep himself from falling in love with her. This was a great story. The heroine has had a 'don't notice me' spell put on her as a child but doesn't know it. All her life she's felts inadequate and rather useless. She's lost her partners, her title and everything that makes one relevant in the world. But the hero makes her feel special. His kind aren't welcome in society because of the fact that they aren't affected by the magic that rules their world. As such, he's an outcast and considered nothing more than an animal. But she's enraptured by him. Not only does he pay her attention, but he's protective and kind and everything she wants in a man. With her low self-esteem, she's hesitant to truly belief one such as him would want a magic less, destitute spinster but her heart yearns for him. The hero feels extremely guilty over the fact the he started out their courtship as a lie but he's more angry at himself because it's soon becomes apparent he's falling in love with her. Honestly it wasn't much of a leap for the reader to see through him. I thought the aunt and uncle were extremely creepy from the jump so it came as no surprise when their true motives came to light. I liken the fact that the cousin-once painted the villain- actually turned out to be a decent enough guy. This was a lovely story set in a very magical and unique setting. I loved the tale of the lion man and his timid innocent lady. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
I found this book to be adorable, it was just so cute and fun. Not to mention that I liked the society that in this alternate England.

Magic is still around and English society is infused by it. The Royals have the most powers and then the Dukes and so forth. If you are without then you are stripped of titles and lands. Magic rules and different titles have different magic. I really liked what she created and it was interesting.

Our heroine is truly naive, but that is the only way she could be. No one ever notices Felicity and she believes she is a grey little mouse. But there lives a fighter in her that wants to peak her head out. She was sweet and innocent.

While the hero Terrance is something else entirely. There is one class of nobility that has no magic and that magic can't touch and that are the shapeshifters. But the Royals use them as spies since they can sense relic magic. And Terrance, well I wanted to be angry at him for using sweet Felicity, but at the same time he was falling for her so I forgave him. His beast knew better than he did.

A relic of evil magic must be found, a couple fall helplessly in love and all is not well in the country of England.

Conclusion:
Such a sweet story that I devoured in a day. Easy to read, easy to fall in love with
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
An average but enjoyable historical paranormal romance where your level of magic is tied to your title and any accompanying lands. If you're heirs are weaker than you, they're demoted upon the outcome of the "testing" when someone is about to inherit but if there's no more magic left in your bloodline, say goodbye to your wealth and hello to destitution. This is what happens to poor naive Felicity after her parents die, leaving her with her less than understanding aunt, uncle and cousin.

However, if you happen to be a shapeshifter of any kind, you're at the bottom of the social ladder despite being held in high esteem by the royal family, probably due to that pesky little fact: shapeshifters are immune to magic.

People hate what they fear, and they fear these uncontrollable "beasts". Feeling powerless against these weres has led them to being treated as outcasts, the lowest of the low. Baronet Terrence Blackwell is the most honoured shifter in England being the Prince's top spy and relic hunter yet he is outwardly mocked despite his fierce shifter shape as a lion, which manages to scare most into submission.

When he smells relic magic on Felicity during her disastrous testing he assumes she can lead him to one of these mythical relics, which in the wrong hands can do serious damage like that done to his now dead brother. He'll do anything to find that relic. Anything. Even marry a desperate but seemingly innocent woman. But is he really courting her just to find the relic or are his beastly desires to mate with this woman commanding his actions. And is she really so innocent? ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I downloaded this from Discover a new love since I read and liked The Firelord's lover a couple of years ago.

This is a light paranormal, set in an alternate Victorian London. I had a lot of fun trying to guess which parts of London the different neighborhoods was based on. The alternative place names felt right and reflected the neighborhoods status. How the magic system was set up appealed a lot too me. I liked that you ( and your family) could raise or fall in status, depending on which kind of magic you had. I also liked that no one could do everything.

The thing I liked most about this book was Terence and Felicity. Both of them were shaped by their backgrounds. Terrence just lost his brother, and is fiercely protective of his remaining family. And I liked the lengths he went to protect Felicity.

Felicity has spent her life being ignored. And her adaptions to that made me smile. But the first scenes made my heart ache as well since they showed very clearly how her life must have been.

Too me the plot was very predicable. From the way they met, to their courtship and then their HEA. The thing that kept me reading was Terence and Felicity's relationship, but when I stopped reading yesterday I wasn't sure if I would finish this. In fact, it wasn't until the last 70 pages or so that I felt that I was interested in what happened next.

A lot of that stemmed from my main problem with this book: I had a lot of problem connecting with the characters. I liked Terence and Felicity, but I didn't love them. It felt like their feelings were just hinted at, and never truly shown. Which is too bad, since I felt that there was a lot of promise in the worldbuilding, and in parts of the plot.

Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |

Little-noticed Felicity Seymour is a woman with a problem: she can't take control of her parents' lands until she can prove her magical abilities, of which she's never had the slightest hint. When she meets a handsome were-lion baronet, Terence Blackwell, she's surprised at his interest; what she doesn't know is that Terence smells the taint of relic-magic on her, the same magic that killed his brother. Resolving to learn her secrets, Terence courts the worried wallflower and is as surprised as anyone when he falls head over heels. Soon after they marry in secret, Felicity discovers that people she's trusted all her life are conspiring to steal her magic, her title and her land. Now she's got to stop them with the help of her new husband—but how much does she really know about her mysterious mate?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0505527502, Mass Market Paperback)

In a Victorian London where titles are based on the inheritance of magical powers, a were-lion's obsessive quest for Merlin's relics will threaten his love for a disinherited duchess--as well as their very lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:54 -0400)

In a world where magic rules everything, Felicity Seymour can't perform even the simplest spell. If she doesn't pass her testing, she'll lose her duchy - and any hope of marriage. But one man doesn't seem to mind her lack of dowry - a darkly delicious baronet who has managed to scare away the rest of London's society misses.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,920,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible