Idylls of the King by Lord Tennyson Alfred

Idylls of the King (edition 2008)

by Lord Tennyson Alfred

Member:tomdoyle
Title:Idylls of the King
Authors:Lord Tennyson Alfred
Info:Publisher Unknown (2008), Kindle Edition

Idylls of the King by Alfred Tennyson

A Victorian era take on the Arthurian legends in poetic form. The language is archaic even for Victorian times, and it feels forced into the poetic structure. The effort required may put off many readers. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jul 14, 2018 |
Another poem about knight-time.
  JNagarya | Jul 27, 2015 |
I listened to the BBC3 audio production of this book and it was AMAZING. Only 4 stars, because of the inane catholic moralizing of Arthur at the very end. Everything else was just amazing. ( )
  lapomelzi | Jun 2, 2013 |
This particular book is not an edition of Tennyson's work, Idylls of the King, as a whole. It's an abridged version, essentially, with selections from Tennyson's poetry contextualised by brief prose. The reason I have this edition is, of course, the illustrations included, those done by Gustave Doré. Many of them are really spectacular, capturing perfectly the mood of the pieces and scenes.

Tennyson's poetry is, of course, powerful and problematic, but I'll review that in itself another time. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
As usual, I thought right up there the short story of Balin, who is to blame for his own tragedy ('My violences, my violences!').

Darker than I had expected and gutsier. I think I decided to read this at last after I saw a book on Tennyson's battle poetry. How he wrote 54 battle poems and had a genuine feel for the 'heroic ethos' of ancient fiction to which he was devoted. Fair enough, I thought. Tried a couple of short ones: his Boadicea is as bloody as she came, and I throbbed to 'The Revenge: a Ballad of the Fleet'. I even felt the tribute in his Ode on Wellington.

I think he's a gorgeous poet, on the whole, although I'd make cuts. The guy can write.

Arthur is his hero, and not Lancelot. This isn't the courtly love version, but the version where a self-indulgent love corrupts a heroic kingdom. Arthur's certainly a fighting king against pagans. Give him a pagan, he can let loose without qualms and soar with the sword.

The comedy can be faux-medieval -- I mean you think of those silly films in tights, but perhaps comedy wasn't his forte. I expect tragedy is, and melancholy.

Again, I'll have Balin, ten pages of him, gut-wrenchingly tragic and very darkly done. But I'd say that about Malory's Balin. Which proves to me Tennyson was awake to the old authentic stuff, though he's often condemned for Victorian. ( )
  Jakujin | Mar 30, 2013 |

Is contained in

Contains

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Leodogran, the King of Cameliard,
Had one fair daughter, and none other child;
and she was fairest of all flesh on earth,
Guinevere, and her his one delight.

Tennyson had a life-long interest in the legend of King Arthur and after the huge success of his poem "Morte d'Arthur" he built on the theme with this series of twelve poems, written in two periods of intense creativity over nearly twenty years. "Idylls of the King" traces the story of Arthur's rule, from his first encounter with Guinevere and the quest for the Holy Grail to the adultery of his Queen with Launcelot and the King's death in a final battle that spells the ruin of his kingdom. Told with lyrical and dreamlike eloquence, Tennyson's depiction of the Round Table reflects a longing for a past age of valour and chivalry. And in his depiction of King Arthur he created a hero imbued with the values of the Victorian age - one who embodies the highest ideals of manhood and kingship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

The longest and most ambitious work of his career, Idylls is a reflection of Tennyson's lifelong interest in Arthurian themes. His personification of Arthur, the highest ideal of manhood and leadership, is achieved through a delicacy of phrase and metrical effect that are unmatched.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,408,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible