Wizard by P. L. Nunn

Wizard

by P. L. Nunn

751,138,814 (3.75)None

TREAD VERY CAREFULLY......VERY, VERY, CAREFULLY. DIS B SUM DARK AND POWERFUL STUFF.

First of all, i had no idea it was illustrated to a degree, so that blew me away. It was apparently done by one single person, and i have no idea just how much time and effort it went into the creation of it, but it looks really good. I was pleasantly surprised.

A second surprise came in the way of content. I was expecting some darker elements, but this has taken it to a whole different level. The descriptions of torture accompanied by a contributing visual is enough to disturb people. A lot.

The only thing I can attribute to my resilience is the sheer volume of intake of manga and anime throughout the past years. They have as a general rule even, at least one betentacled monster chasing a scantily clad male or female (depending how you squint) character around. And boy, can those tentacles become frisky.

No really all joking aside, this is harsh and very hard to follow if you are the type of person that doesn't gravitate toward the extremes. Reading it, i came to the conclusion the author knew exactly witch kind of impact this work would bring and still chose to dedicate the time writing and illustrating it.

The illustrations are good, detailed, but not overly so. In a sense it's a blessing in disguise really.

The story follows young Ferris, a man fighting a seemingly unwinnable war against an army fueled by the religious beliefs of absolute and sheer cruelty. Such an army that gives a true meaning to the term- Death is preferable to capture.

Sadly Ferris winds up in an ambush, and gets himself taken alive. He is at the mercy of cruel sadists, and just when he thinks he can't take any more he is sent to die at the altar of the blood gods, where he comes face to face with the same pagan priest that captured him.

The rest, torture, sacrifice, escape, salvation is all embedded in a world that is not for the faint of heart.

Sometimes i go for the very dark novels, and sometimes i can't really stomach them. Depends of the emotional connection that is offered with the characters. I need that redeeming quality. I need that human touch, that salvation at the end of things.

I personally would wholeheartedly recommend this book, but for a selected audience.

IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
While I enjoyed the artwork and story, some of book was rather gruesome and squicked me out. Plenty of non con, torture and nasty bits. But, gorgeous artwork and liked the story. Best read on something larger than iphone or sony ereader as the text is small. iPad or buy in book form. 3 and a 1/2-4 stars. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
At first I was a little bit surprised when I held this book in my hands as it is a mixture of comic and 'novelette', so it's part comic and part text. But after reading the first pages I was intrigued by this concept and found it working out pretty well for me.

Warrior Ferris of Nalvar is captured and tortured by warriors of an enemy nation which his army has lost a battle against. He is saved from a sure and painful death by the wizard Estalan. In return Ferris swears under an oath of honor and life, that he will accomplish three things for the wizard.

At first Ferris naturally distrusts the foreign wizard Estalan, but soon falls for him and they begin a steamy affair. But then he becomes aware of the true agenda of the wizard...

This book has beautiful drawings and an interesting story. What bothered me a little bit was the very graphic torture scene at the beginning. Believe me when I tell you that I had trouble continue reading. But as this book is intended for adults anyway, I nonetheless recommend it as an enjoyable read, just not for the faint of heart. ( )
  shoganrea | May 4, 2008 |
I like P.L. Nunn. I think she is a great cover artist, and I was allured by the cover of this manga. When it arrived, today, I was also surprise to discover that it's a mix of text and graphic.

First of all, it's not for faint hearts. It's very gruesome, starting with the rape and torture of Ferris, a warrior of a defeated army. And during his torture, Ferris has also to witness to the tortures of his fellow comrades, and one in particular is very bloody, even more when it's not only describes by text but also with images. Ferris is rescued by a wizard and thief of sacred relics, who scares the priests who are torturing him. To save him, the wizard, Estalan, expects from Ferris, three oaths, to claim when he wants.

Estalan is a very handsome and quite feminine man, and for Ferris is unavoidable to fall for the man. During their journey toward the capital, they share some intimate moments, but then Estalan asks to Ferris to do something he feels unright...

As always the graphic is beautiful, especially when it's for Estalan character. I was pretty moved by the torture scenes... I really had some problems to continue the reading. They are pretty cruel, and so I for sure will not reccomend this manga to impressionable readers. But I think the cruelty is not free, and sincerely I think that the medieval tortures where like that if not worse.

The universe is the same of Bloodraven, the previous manga I read by P.L. Nunn, but there are no connections between the two. So if you have liked Bloodraven and have no problem with the torture matter, I highly reccomend this one.
  elisa.rolle | Feb 22, 2008 |
This is a combination graphic novel with a novelette (written text) to expand the story. Although I did like it, it was not as good as her other graphic novel "Bloodraven." This is set in the same world, but takes place many years earlier with different characters. The story opens with the aftermath of a battle between two nations. Warrior Ferris is captured and the enemy take sadistic pleasure trying to break him. My main issue with the story was the graphic torture (both visually and written). It may be because there is also a full-length novel companion to Bloodraven that the impact of horrors done to the main character are tempered by his evolving relationship with Bloodraven. Here, the protagonist Ferris is subjected to brutal rape/torture and has to witness others being tortured (one resulting in a particularly gruesome death).

When he is rescued by Escalon, their brief affair is steamy but leaves a reader hanging because it is over so quickly. The main focus of "Wizard" remains the torture. Hopefully, the author will have a sequel (as she has indicated there will be more graphic novels for Bloodraven as well). There are some typos in the novelette, and the text in bubbles sometimes went to far into the crease, but overall this is a very nice edition for being self-published. Recommended, but NOT for the squeamish or sensitive. ( )
  jshillingford | Jan 9, 2008 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,011,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible