Distracting the Duchess (Leisure Historical…

Distracting the Duchess (Leisure Historical Romance)

by Emily Bryan

My Rating: A

My Review:

I really enjoyed this book more than I thought I could. I normally don't read regency era but this one was so very engrossing I was hard pressed to put it down.

The characters are well developed and easy to like. The supportive characters are even three dimensional and you get a real feel that they could easily be supportive characters in your own life.

The love between the hero and heroine grows genuinely and the obstacles in their relationship are quite believable. What I really loved about this book was the way that the heroine was so open about sexuality, and that it wasn't her hero that awakened this. It made her much more real to me, a lot easier to identify with.

I highly recommend this book as a light and easy read with a nice clean ending, real characters, and a lot of intrigue. ( )
  mybooksmylove | Aug 8, 2009 |
Lady Artemisia, Larla and Duchess of Southwycke, is an artistic prodigy. However she has now taken to painting men in the nude thus becoming infamous instead of famous. After the Duke's death she created the Mr. Beddington alter ego to control her family's finances. Her father, Angus, lost part of his mental faculties after a high fever. Her mother wants to find titled matches for her two sisters using the family's fortune to snag the husbands. One sister cooperates because she also wants a title. The other elopes with a stable hand.

Meanwhile Trevelyn Deveridge is part of Her Majesty's Secret Service trying to track down a key Angus hid he became ill. Angus sent a message, and reiterates in person, that Mr. Beddington holds the key.

Mr. Beddington was the name of Larla's first pony. The sculpture of that pony put her on the map artistically and is now the possession of the Queen. ( )
  ktoonen | Jul 20, 2008 |
A delightful historical filled with art, romance, and intrigue.

Lady Artemisia, Duchess of Southwycke, needs a nude man...to paint. After marrying to please her parents, and becoming a young and wealthy widow, she returned to her childhood passion of art. She's the scandalous Duchess who paints pictures of naked, no that's nude, males.

Trevelyn Deveridge is the younger son of the Earl. Freed from the position of heir, he has embroiled himself in the intrigue of espionage. He appears at Lady Artemisia's London home in disguise, looking for an entre to the Duchess' man of business. Upon his arrival, Artemisia mistakes him for her new model and asks him to strip. Oh, the things one must do for Queen and country.

Naked involves passion. Nude is art. Unfortunately, Artemisia is having a difficult time differentiating between the two when it comes to Trevelyn. And when she becomes involved in his dangerous intrigues, then all bets are off...and so are most of their clothes! ( )
  jjmachshev | Apr 12, 2008 |

Lady Artemisia, Duchess of Southwycke, sets her sights on Trevelyn Deveridge, a delicious male specimen who would be the perfect model for her latest painting, but who, unbeknownst to her, has a secret agenda involving her and her family.

Emily Bryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,142,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible