Rose Blanche by Christophe Gallaz

Rose Blanche (1985)

by Christophe Gallaz, Roberto Innocenti (Illustrator)

Rose Blanche is a sobering tale of historical fiction set in Germany during World War II. The story begins with Rose Blanche narrating in the first person but after she stumbles upon the concentration camp, there is a foreshadowing voice change to the narrator.
The illustrations are vivid, realistic, and draw the reader into the story. On page 5, Rose Blanche is walking across a bridge and the reader sees her reflection in the river below. The reader is privy to more of the picture in the reflection as the barbed wire is visible in the reflection but not at the top of the page. The symbolism that she is a child going about her normal life with a war going on around her is evident in multiple passages. When she discovers the prisoners in the camp, she sees them as people like her, children do not worry themselves about beliefs that do not affect them and she decides to smuggle as much food to them as she can manage.
The end of the book is a little intense as she is trapped in thick fog with soldiers approaching and then the narrator says there is a shot. It is up to the reader to interpret the remaining pages. The narrator lets us know her mother waited for a very long time for her but does not say she came home. Also, there is also a flower in Rose's hand which is entwined into the barbed wire and on the remaining pages, the flower is shown to wither and on the very last page, the flower is completely dried and dead. I believe this was meant to represent the demise of poor little Rose Blanche. ( )
  JSkoros | Mar 25, 2019 |
I think this is my favorite book we read in class this semester. I've read a few books written from a Jewish child's perspective of the holocaust but this is the first time I have ever read a book written from the perspective of a German child. It just shows how special the innocence of children is. This little girl just saw people that were hungry. It didn't matter if they had different beliefs. They were just people and they needed food. ( )
  csheldon | Dec 11, 2018 |
I think this was a great book and teaching tool. According to scholastic's website they said it could a book for k-5 however I think I would personally use this book for an older audience. I don't think the younger students would fully appreciate and understand this book. I appreciated the illustrators work and think he truly did an amazing job. ( )
  rabertucci | Nov 30, 2018 |
The story took place in Nazi Germany at the beginning of the Nazi's coming to power in the 1930's and is told by the first-person perspective of Rose Blanche. The illustrations in the story book seemed harsh, with vivid colors combined with sharp and direct edges. Rose Blanche, however, was drawn much softer than the rest of the areas of the pictures. I felt that this was a way to show her innocence in the whole situation. She becomes curious with everything that is happening until, one day, she sees a young boy jump out of truck (they make no mention that he is Jewish, but it can be surmised. She follows the truck to find a camp full of hungry people (Jews in a concentration camp) and decides that she will bring them food and water because they seemed hungry and thirsty, emphasizing the simplicity and innocence of children. The final imagery of Rose Blanche in the battlefield filled with smoke and then the break, only to return to the same battlefield, after some time had passed and there is grass and flowers growing around, but se still see the marks of war. We see the barbed wire, the barricades, and the tire tracks, but no Rose Blanche, confirming her death. The story begins in the first person from the perspective of Rose Blanche, but switches midway through to a third person narrator to prepare for the death of Rose Blanche. ( )
  Noahedels | Nov 17, 2018 |
During World War II, a young German girl's curiosity leads her to discover something far more terrible than the day-to-day hardships and privations that she and her neighbors have experienced. (amazon)
  zahanse1 | Nov 4, 2018 |

Gallaz, ChristopheAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Innocenti, RobertoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
McEwan, IanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When wars begin people often cheer.
My name is Rose Blanche. (from the U.S. edition, translator not identified)

There are three editions of Rose Blanche, Roberto Innocenti’s picturebook portrayal of a young girl who discovers a Nazi concentration camp on the outskirts of her German city. The original text, written in French by Christophe Gallaz to accompany Innocenti’s illustrations, was translated into English and published in the United States; this text is compared with the British text, rewritten by Ian McEwan, and the German text, translated by Abraham Teuter. An examination of differences in the three texts demonstrates some of the ways in which cultural, aesthetic, national, ideological, pedagogical, and economic issues influence the translation of a children’s book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,724,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible