Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility…

Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility

by Jane Austen

English (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (3)
At this point, I'm tempted to say I like Sense and Sensibility even more than Pride and Prejudice, which has long been my favorite. Austen just shines in S&S. The writing is so insightful and witty, and entirely engaging. The characters are so lovable and others just as hateful. Marianne is such a dear. I love her at the end; when she repents of her intentional "sensibility", and reproaches herself for having neglected and thought so little of Elinor's own heartache and trials. She is so impulsive and rushed throughout most of the book, and yet I can empathize with her grand dreams and the impetuosity with which she threw her whole being into every thought, act or inspiration. She is the furthest thing from insipid as is possible.
Elinor, of course, is all that is admirable and honorable. With what patience she bore every trial! Her temper and spirit are so lovely. I admire the love she showed to Marianne, no matter how often her younger sister was mistaken. She must be one of my favorite book characters.

Colonel Brandon. I like him greatly. He again, is patient and long bearing. He is so gracious and kind. I felt so sorry for him when he thought that Marianne was going to marry Willoughby, and then again, to die.

The story is such a great one. The book is a good length; long enough to tell the story, and not so long as to be wearisome. I like the ending very much; happy endings are not indispensable in my opinion, but I very much like this one, which is sweet, with just the tiniest taste of bitterness.

My heartiest recommendations for this book. ( )
2 vote princourager | Apr 10, 2009 |
This is an omnibus of both Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. Please do not combine with either individual work.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0681219084, Imitation Leather)

3 hardcover books - 3 volume set published by Tally Hall Press - look like leather bound with gold edged pages. Volume 1 includes Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice; Volume 2 includes Mansfield Park and Emma; Volume 3 includes Northanger Abby and Persuasion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:07 -0400)

Contains: Pride and prejudice Sense and sensibility.

2 wanted6 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible