Poison Sleep by T. A. Pratt

Poison Sleep

by T. A. Pratt

Series: Marla Mason (2)

Poison Sleep is the second of the Marla Mason novels by T.A. Pratt.

Plot:
Marla has her plate full once more: a young woman escaped from the Blackwing Institute where all the magicians too unstable and to dangerous to stay out in the world are being kept. That particular woman, Genevieve, is deeply traumatized, has been in asleep for years and has the ability to re-weave reality just by wishing it so. As if that wasn’t enough, a renegade Slow Assassin has come to her city to kill, with his organization at his heel to rein him in. With all of that to deal with, looking for a new assistant, dodging the usual attempts on her own life and redistributing the power in the city between the various mages seems barely worth mentioning.

Poison Sleep is an absolutely satisfying sequel to a book I loved. It’s imaginative, fast-paced and has great characters. It made me like the series even more.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/06/01/poison-sleep-t-a-pratt/ ( )
  kalafudra | Sep 27, 2016 |
The sequel to [b:Blood Engines|1937288|Blood Engines (Marla Mason, Book 1)|T.A. Pratt|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1190583675s/1937288.jpg|1939817].
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
POISON SLEEP is the second book in the Marla Mason urban fantasy series, and it’s almost as good as the first. I would give it 4.5 stars out of 5.
The imaginative world that Marla lives in just gets more interesting with the addition of a dreamworld that people are falling in and out of. This dreamworld belongs to one woman, Genevieve, who is an escaped patient from the Blackwing Institute for criminally insane sorcerers. Marla must stop Genevieve before her dreamworld touches too many people, and brings the city of Felport to ruin.
The fantasy elements are superbly drawn, and the characters have actual character, although a longer book wouldn’t have hurt in order to examine them more thoroughly. Marla isn’t my favorite heroine, she swears too much among other things, but once I get past those unnecessary elements of the story I really enjoy the fast pace of the action.
If you liked BLOOD ENGINES, you will like POISON SLEEP. I’m looking forward to book #3 – DEAD REIGN!
~Stephanie ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
I unfortunately misplaced this a short way from the end which bonked the momentum and probably skewed my star rating ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
I'm fond of this series. In some ways it's pretty stock urban fantasy, but it's got all the good parts - kickass female lead, lots of ambiguous sexuality, sideways take on social issues, etc. I would like to get more than an offhand nod to the main character's bisexuality, but I'm willing to wait another book for it. Good clean fun. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |

T. A. Prattprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jenn, who follows her dreams
The Bentley squealed to a halt at the top of the icy horseshoe driveway before the looming brick face of the Blackwing Institute.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589997, Mass Market Paperback)

The bad girl of the magical underworld is back and badder than ever

Someone wants Marla Mason dead. Usually that’s not news. As chief sorcerer of Felport, someone always wants her dead. But this time she’s the target of a renegade assassin who specializes in killing his victims over days, months, or even years. Not to mention a mysterious knife-wielding killer in black who pops up in the most unexpected places. To make matters worse, an inmate has broken out of the Blackwing Institute for criminally insane sorcerers—a troubled psychic who can literally reweave the fabric of reality to match her own traumatic past.

With her wisecracking partner Rondeau reluctantly in tow, Marla teams up with a “love-talker” whose dangerous erotic spells not even she can resist. Together they’re searching the rapidly transforming streets of Felport for a woman who’s become the Typhoid Mary of nightmares, infecting everything—and everyone—she touches with a chaos worse than death itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:33 -0400)

Marla Mason is the target of a renegade assassin, a situation that worsens as she and her partner Rondeau deal with a troubled psychic who has escaped from the Blackwing Institute for criminally insane sorcerers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible