Fathers and Sins by Jo Bannister

Fathers and Sins

by Jo Bannister

191537,190 (3.2)1

Jo Bannister was a real favourite of mine a few years back (2001-2002 - how I love my archives!) but in retrospect the books have rather gone down in my estimation. I certainly enjoyed them but my memory now is that they were rather over the top; full of huge explosions and near death situations for the same series characters in each book. I found this one in the library, brand new and not featuring any characters I'd read before, and thought I'd see how I got on with it. I don't think it's part of a series but I could be wrong and it doesn't really feature a detective, the police barely come into it, and while the main character could perhaps go on to feature in other books I didn't get the impression that that was being set up. The story begins with Agnes Amory, a dancer, being proposed to by her older fiance Robin. Robin has a son who just about lived through a fire when he was six years old who is now twenty. Just as Robin is arranging for Agnes to meet "Mouse", as his son is known, Mouse is badly injured in a car accident and the couple rush to the hospital. It all turn into a bit of a Cotswold village mystery with churches, fires, ancient relics and whatever but manages not to be too cutesy. On the whole I enjoyed it. I liked the characters and I think sympathetic characters are the key to making outlandish plots work well. There was one moment near the end when I thought things a bit out of hand but that's the point in the story where the reader wants thing to work out too. In short the reading experience is as enjoyable as I remembered it and I expect I'll probably remember the more ludicrous bits of the plot longer than anything else, but it's good entertainment.
  nocto | Dec 8, 2010 |

Everyone brings baggage to a new relationship...

Agnes knew her fiancé Robin Firth had a failed marriage behind him. But until the night the police called, she had no idea how directly his past would affect her.

When his son Mouse is blamed for a fatal car crash, Robin's fury stuns both the boy and Agnes. Making matters worse are the amnesia, which prevents Mouse from remembering what happened in the car, and his refusal to believe he was drunk.

Then the village church burns down and suspicion falls on Mouse. The police inquiry doesn't concern Agnes as much as the arrival of a band of New Age travellers, fascinated by the improbably survival of the church's relic. It's supposed to be a Crusader banner, but that doesn't make sense. Nor does the behaviour of the man who donated it.

Reluctantly, Agnes is drawn into events more complex — and more threatening — than she could ever have foreseen.

A new mystery from a popular author - When Robin Firths son Mouse is blamed for a fatal car crash, Robins fury stuns both the boy and Agnes, his new wife. Then the village church burns down, and suspicion falls on Mouse. And then theres the interest of a band of New Age travellers in the improbable survival of the churchs relic. Its supposed to be a Crusader banner, but that just doesnt make any sense . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:52 -0400)

Everyone brings baggage to a new relationship... Agnes knew her fiance Robin Firth had a failed marriage behind him. But until the night the police called she had no idea how directly his past would affect her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,547,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible