The Devil's Fire by Sara Bell

The Devil's Fire (2008)

by Sara Bell

2010 (1) 2011 (2) abuse (2) children (1) ebook (4) erotica (1) fantasy (13) fictionwise (1) gay interest (1) glbt (3) historical (1) lgbt (2) m-m (8) magic (1) marriage (2) meh (1) own (1) rape (1) re-read 2013 (1) read (1) regency (2) romance (6) slash (1) speculative fiction (1) to-read (2) torquere books (1) trauma (2) unread (1) violence (1) wizards (1)

I've been wanting to read this story for quite awhile, finally I did and I must say I was a bit disappointed. The story itself was not bad, the writing likewise but it was far from original. Just a carbon copy of of a carbon copy. ( )
  nubian_princesa | Jun 27, 2015 |
The Devil's Fire is an LGBT fantasy set in one of those generic pseudomedieval worlds we see so much of, with a touch of magic and the twist that gay relationships are perfectly accepted and arranged in just the same way, for political reasons. There's some swordfighting, a kidnap or two, blood oaths, political manoeuvring... Pretty much all as you can expect. Also, Alric has the obligatory Tortured Past, and Gareth has the obligatory Tragic Past.

Though it was nothing particularly new, it was fun. I enjoyed the way they won each other's trust, although I would've been, perhaps, happier with the book focusing more on that, for longer. They have enough drama in their lives to begin with!

I did enjoy the other characters, too: I liked the subplot with Nadar and the character of Balthazar. I'd read a sequel if there was one (is one? Someone mentioned in another review that one was being worked on) but I wouldn't bring it to the top of my reading list. The Devil's Fire is pretty light reading, a fun diversion. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 28, 2013 |

shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Do you know the meaning of Savage Romance? I always identify this type of romance with a story which tells about a fiery and witty heroine, usually of noble birth, and an rough but handsome warrior, usually a bastard but who holds honor above all the virtue. Usually they are forced to an arranged marriage by the father of her, who is aging and who wants for her daughter a fitting groom. Doesn't matter if the groom is wealthy, what it is important is that he is an able warrior. Usually they cordially hate each other at first glance but there is a burning passion between them that can't be denied. Usually too stubborns to admit it, they vow to not consumate the marriage, but the noble warrior is soon consumate himself by desire. Usually the witty bride threatens to annul the marriage and so the warrior sets himself to make the threat null in the only way possible...

Well all this is respected in this novel by Sara Bell, but this is only half the romance. On the other half there are other "classical" situations which make this a very fastpacing, very romantic and very classical romance. With only a twist: the witty heroine is a handsome prince, Alric, and the stubborn warrior is a prince himself, Gareth. But in the fantasy medieval world of Orielle, same sex marriage are considered at the same level of eterosexual ones, so this novel lacks at all of the denial and hidden aspect of forbidden love among men.

The plot is very well planned and touches all the "essential" points to be a "classical" medieval romance. Plus there are some touches of magic, not to overwhelming, just a taste that is not bitter in a fantasy environment like this. Sex is present, but not too present, which is another classical point in this type of romance: the main story is the fight between good and evil, and sometime, it amuses the readers with a bit of sexual interaction between the goods.

The main characters are soo nice and handsome guys that they could give you a nervous fit if you are one who loves the bad boy type. But well, they are right for the role they play.

I have the clear feeling that Sara Bell is very familiar with Kathleen E. Woodiwiss or Johanna Lindsey's books (The Wolf and The Dove or Defy Not the Heart...) and if not, and the reader loves this type of romance, he should read this one, cause I think he will be very satisfy.
  elisa.rolle | Jan 10, 2008 |

Forced into an arranged marriage after the death of his true love, Gareth has no intention of giving Alric of Kray the time of day. He'll do what he has to, but he knows he'll never find a love like the one he's lost. Alric has problems of his own, but is willing to go along with the wedding to help defend his kingdom from the forces ready to tear it apart. When Alric is gravely injured, Gareth discovers the secret of Alric's magic, and discovers that he has feelings for Alric that he's been trying to deny. They may be able to heal Alric's wounds, but can they defeat the enemy that lurks behind the scenes, waiting for them to make one false move?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible