Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life…

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life (1991)

by Donald S. Whitney

INDEXES: SUBJECT, PROPER NAMES, SCRIPTURE
  saintmarysaccden | Nov 6, 2013 |
If you want to be a true follower of Christ and/or are looking for practical ways to follow His word in order to be a stronger more devout Christian than this is a must read. Not only does is clearly and easily go thru what the disciplines are but also gives practical applications on how to involve them in your life. ( )
  longhorndaniel | May 29, 2013 |
Spiritual Disciplines is a book that continues to challange me. This books guides you through 12 disciplines starting with scripture reading and ending with learning. Each easy to read chapter if followed by an application. This is the part that makes it real to me. I ask myself how I will implement this discipline into my life. The application questions challenge me to stop and make a plan to carry out what I have learned before proceeding on to the next chapter. There are practical suggestions for cultivating each of the disciplines. The books ends with a very helpful chapter on persevering in the pursuit of holiness. ( )
  trikle | Mar 7, 2010 |
This book was recommended by a pastor at my church when the small group I attend wanted to learn more about spiritual disciplines. Whitney covers twelve of them in this book: Scripture Readings, Prayer, Worship, Scripture Meditation, Evangelism, Serving, Stewardship, Scripture Application, Fasting, Silence & Solitude, Journaling, and Learning. Practicing these, says Whitney, will help a person grow in godliness.

I learned a lot from studying this book. It is especially good for a group study. We finished it up last week, but there are still many lessons I want to apply to my life. I highly recommend this title. ( )
  librarian4Him02 | Aug 23, 2009 |
The book is an excellent resource for any Christian struggling to walk with God. Whitney writes clearly using multiple Scriptural references. He also incorporates historical examples of each discipline. It's a practical book for a crazy world. There are times that I found the book extremely simplistic (I desired something more theological), but it is written for those who are struggling to live Godly. ( )
1 vote erikssonfamily | Apr 2, 2008 |
Information from the Lithuanian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Ideal for personal or small-group use, this companion guide to Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life takes you through a carefully selected array of disciplines that will help you be more like Jesus.

With discussion questions, this topical study is a good exploration of God's Word for new Christians.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible