Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life…

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life (1991)

by Donald S. Whitney

I can appreciate that this book is Bible-centered and that the author uses many examples and illustrations to back up what he is talking about. He is right that discipline is a topic that is not discussed enough, and so it's good that he is bringing truth to this topic.

But, it seems overdone to me. For each discipline (prayer, Bible reading, fasting, meditation, etc.) many of the examples used (famous missionaries and preachers, etc.) add up to an overwhelming amount of time (as other reviews have noted) and a feeling of inadequacy. Of course, we are inadequate, which is part of the point, but I feel like the "duty" is not balanced with enough grace.

The oft-repeated phrase "For the purpose of godliness" can almost make "godliness" seem like an end in itself. When really, I don't pray so that I will "become godly." I should be doing it because I want to talk to God. And if I don't feel like it, then that can be where discipline comes in, but there has to be a balance. I would recommend [b:Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth|64023|Celebration of Discipline The Path to Spiritual Growth|Richard J. Foster|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1440657038s/64023.jpg|1286037] before I would recommend this book, because Richard Foster seems to capture more of the encouragement and "process" in the journey. ( )
  LauraTwitchell | Dec 12, 2016 |
Whitney has spelled out in a good way the various disciplines of the Christian life that help us to life a dependent on God and illustrating why the disciplines are important, showing how each one will help you grown in godliness, and offering practical suggestions for cultivating them on a long-term basis. I think that this goes beyond Richards Fosters book on the disciplines. ( )
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
INDEXES: SUBJECT, PROPER NAMES, SCRIPTURE
  saintmarysaccden | Nov 6, 2013 |
If you want to be a true follower of Christ and/or are looking for practical ways to follow His word in order to be a stronger more devout Christian than this is a must read. Not only does is clearly and easily go thru what the disciplines are but also gives practical applications on how to involve them in your life. ( )
  longhorndaniel | May 29, 2013 |
Spiritual Disciplines is a book that continues to challange me. This books guides you through 12 disciplines starting with scripture reading and ending with learning. Each easy to read chapter if followed by an application. This is the part that makes it real to me. I ask myself how I will implement this discipline into my life. The application questions challenge me to stop and make a plan to carry out what I have learned before proceeding on to the next chapter. There are practical suggestions for cultivating each of the disciplines. The books ends with a very helpful chapter on persevering in the pursuit of holiness. ( )
  trikle | Mar 7, 2010 |

Donald S. Whitneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Packer, J. I.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ideal for personal or small-group use, this companion guide to Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life takes you through a carefully selected array of disciplines that will help you be more like Jesus.

With discussion questions, this topical study is a good exploration of God's Word for new Christians.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

41 wanted7 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,652,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible