The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

The Reader (1995)

by Bernhard Schlink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (bookcrazyblog, lucyknows)
    bookcrazyblog: Though book thief is understood to be Teen-read, it is deep and enthralling. If you liked The Reader for anything beyond its sensuality in the first part, you will love Book Thief
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    In My Brother's Shadow: A Life and Death in the SS by Uwe Timm (Tinwara)
    Tinwara: Autobiographical account that also deals with the post war generation in Germany, trying to come to an understanding of how loved persons can make the wrong decisions.
    Without Blood by Alessandro Baricco (2810michael)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (1Owlette)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (bnbookgirl)
    bnbookgirl: One of my top ten fav's.
    Let Me Go by Helga Schneider (Booksloth)
    The Travels of Daniel Ascher by Déborah Lévy-Bertherat (OneOfDem)
    Julia by Otto de Kat (charl08)
    charl08: Both novels deal with the after effects of Nazism, felt many years after the war ends.
    A Child of Hitler by Alfons Heck (AlisonY)
    AlisonY: Written by a German child who became a high-ranking leader of the Hitler Youth, this autobiography picks up on the theme from 'The Reader' about what made some people join the Nazi party
    Enduring Love by Ian McEwan (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Reader could be successfully paired with Enduring Love for English Studies. In addition either book could also be be paired with the film The Talented Mr Ripley under the theme of obsession
    Close Range by Annie Proulx (1Owlette)
    1Owlette: Although very different in many ways, [The Reader] and [Brokeback Mountain] are both similarly devastating and concentrated in their impact.
    Before I Knew Him by Anna Ralph (1Owlette)
    Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel (Cecilturtle)
    Berlin by Pierre Frei (Johanna11)
    Johanna11: Although the books are very different in many respects, both are about Berlin after WWII and about Germans during WWII and after.

English (278)  Spanish (10)  Dutch (8)  German (5)  French (3)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (318)
Extraordinary. A 15 year old falls for an older woman, and gets his heart broken. Years later he learns she was a Nazi prison guard when he's assigned to cover her trial. Too late to help her, he discerns her secret. A tragic ending. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 3, 2016 |
This book truly polarized me, opinion-wise. I absolutely despised the writing, especially for the content/story. It was written almost like a textbook, incredibly dry and with little to no emotion. The few flickers of genuine emotion was felt, however, when it was written. For how deep this story was and the intent of why it was written (stated in the end), the writing does it absolutely no justice. The descriptions and story itself was bare-bones and removed all emotion from the story. I'm sure that there was a point to this, as it was written from a first person POV. I understand the intent, but it did nothing to make me enjoy this novel, truly. If the story was expanded and written more like a novel, I would have most likely loved it. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
From what I can remember when I did read this I liked this enough to watch the movie too. ( )
  baumallison | Jan 25, 2016 |
Deep and simple at the same time. Never sentimental. The characters feel very much of the culture of the postwar Bundesrepublik, a time when everyone was trying very hard to act like the Holocaust had never happened. The language is straightforward. Each chapter begins with a declarative sentence that moves the story forward and this style of writing drew me along with it. I enjoyed reading it in German. It reminds me of Heinrich Böll's work, in the way it focuses on the lives of ordinary Germans, those who took care of themselves and did what they needed to do to survive through an unthinkable time.

(I read this book in 2008 in English and found it bland. I think this is a time when I experience the difference between a book in translation vs. in the original language. Original review of 2008 here:

I really love Schlink's short stories and was expecting to love this, since everyone else seemed to. It was good enough, I guess. But a little thin somehow. A one-day book that is oddly hesitant in its prose style. A rare case where I liked the movie better (also true for me of Schindler's List, and Empire of the Sun). ) ( )
  poingu | Jan 23, 2016 |
An adult child of German parents who lived thru WWII tries to balance understanding and condemnation of crimes committed during the war - particularly that of an older woman he fell in love with at age 15. It's an interesting story and an easy read. ( )
  Jeannine504 | Jan 23, 2016 |
What starts out as a story of sexual awakening, something that Colette might have written, a ''Cherie and the Last of Cherie'' set in Germany after the war, is suddenly darkened by history and tragic secrets. In the end, one is both moved and disturbed, saddened and confused, and, above all, powerfully affected by a tale that seems to bear with it the weight of truth.

Schlink's daring fusion of 19th-century post-romantic, post-fairy-tale models with the awful history of the 20th century makes for a moving, suggestive and ultimately hopeful work, an original contribution to the impossible genre with the questionable name of Vergangenheitsbewaltigung, ''coming to terms with the past.''

Bernhard Schlinkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Janeway, Carol BrownTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirchner, Ernst LudwigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lien, ToroddTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was fifteen, I got hepatitis.
Being ill when you are a child or growing up is such an enchanted interlude!
When rescue came, it was almost an assault. The woman seized my arm and pulled me through the dark entryway into the courtyard.

A parable of German guilt and atonement and a love story of stunning power.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375707972, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, February 1999: Originally published in Switzerland, and gracefully translated into English by Carol Brown Janeway, The Reader is a brief tale about sex, love, reading, and shame in postwar Germany. Michael Berg is 15 when he begins a long, obsessive affair with Hanna, an enigmatic older woman. He never learns very much about her, and when she disappears one day, he expects never to see her again. But, to his horror, he does. Hanna is a defendant in a trial related to Germany's Nazi past, and it soon becomes clear that she is guilty of an unspeakable crime. As Michael follows the trial, he struggles with an overwhelming question: What should his generation do with its knowledge of the Holocaust? "We should not believe we can comprehend the incomprehensible, we may not compare the incomparable.... Should we only fall silent in revulsion, shame, and guilt? To what purpose?"

The Reader, which won the Boston Book Review's Fisk Fiction Prize, wrestles with many more demons in its few, remarkably lucid pages. What does it mean to love those people--parents, grandparents, even lovers--who committed the worst atrocities the world has ever known? And is any atonement possible through literature? Schlink's prose is clean and pared down, stripped of unnecessary imagery, dialogue, and excess in any form. What remains is an austerely beautiful narrative of the attempt to breach the gap between Germany's pre- and postwar generations, between the guilty and the innocent, and between words and silence. --R. Ellis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

Schoolboy Michael Berg, 15, meets an older woman and they have an affair, which she breaks off and disappears. Seven years later Berg, now a law student attending a trial, sees her in the dock, accused in a crime dating back to World War II and the death camp at Auschwitz.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,104,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible