Relic by Douglas Preston

Relic (1995)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Series: Pendergast (1)

English (102)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (112)
I really enjoyed this book and was surprised by how good the book really is. I loved how detailed the authors are with some of the science but they keep it easy to understand. Even though some of the technical information sounds quite dated it helps give a true sense of how dependent on technology we can be. The books also does a good job of rounding out all the side clues and stories and bringing them all together for the conclusion.

The authors also did an excellent job of giving you a sense of being isolated in the museum. A character could be in one of the busiest museums in the world but still find themselves lost in its cavernous size and the authors really put this to go use in the book. There are plenty of creepy segments and the tension is built up very well and there are plenty of times in the story where the anticipation of what is about to happen is almost as nerve-racking as the actual event.

This book is so full of characters it was hard to keep some of them separate and to remember which timeframe they were involved in. The narrator was a huge help with his vocal abilities. There is a lot of time spent on several characters that I didn’t feel was needed and it made some parts of the story drag a little.

The narrator David Colacci did an excellent job with having to develop so many characters. I was never confused about who was speaking and he gave the main characters’ voices that truly fit their described personalities. Not an issue with the narrator but I did not enjoy how the book handled the sounds of characters in tunnels, on the radio or phone – the echo sound effect was quite annoying and unneeded.
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
“Every sixty to seventy million years or so, life starts getting very well adapted to its environment. Too well adapted, perhaps. There is a population explosion of the successful life forms. Then, suddenly, a new species appears out of the blue. It is almost always a predatory creature, a killing machine. It tears through the host population, killing, feeding, multiplying. Slowly at first, then ever faster.”

“Relic” was a fast and easy read: New York City’s Natural History Museum has already had its share of dark rumours about a “Museum Beast” when two kids are found brutally murdered in the basement of the museum. And further deaths follow...

Thus, Lieutenant D’Agosta from the local Police department takes the lead in the investigation, closely followed by FBI agent Pendergast from New Orleans who knows the killer’s modus operandi from a previous case.

Furthermore, there are Margo Green, a graduate student, preparing her dissertation, supported in both that and her independent investigation by Professor Frock, her wheelchair-bound mentor who is part of the higher echelon of the museum.

Soon, all of them will find out that sometimes the hunters turn into the hunted quickly...

So, why read this? Simple: After a long streak of taxing reads, I wanted something simple, something easy and satisfying and, depending on the kind of “easy” I want, this could be a murder mystery who-dun-it or, as I this instance, a fast-paced thriller.

In a thriller I'm looking for...

- Thrills (obviously!) – check!
- Suspense – check!
- Surprise (as I knew the 1997 film, there was less of it than I would have liked but:) – check!
- Excitement – check!
- Anticipation – check!
- Anxiety – check!

… and I got it all. Especially the flight through the basement and subbasement of the museum was farily great and I certainly didn’t expect the ending which differs somewhat from the film.

Thus, if you’re looking for an easy read with a lot of thrills, just grab a copy of “Relic”, turn the lights low and get reading! ( )
  philantrop | Apr 29, 2019 |
Good suspense/thriller with a solution that I did not expect. The cover blurb mentions Jurassic Park and I think Crichton is a good comparison. Well written, strong characters-looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  DGRachel | Apr 2, 2019 |
OK not great. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
I was in the mood for some monster mayhem, and THE RELIC has long been a favorite movie, so I finally got round to the original book, and I'm glad I did.

It's a fine example of the genre and reads a bit like an extended monster-of-the-week episode of the X-Files, with some added gore and thrills. The claustrophobic nature of the museum at night is a great venue for the jump scares and the monster itself is well realized, and suitably nasty in its habits.

There's an unfortunate sag in the middle 'what are we dealing with here' section, with too many talking heads and point of view characters - the movie did away with that by dropping some characters all together and merging others into each other. But it's a minor quibble in what is a great creature feature that rattles along nicely apart from that.

The prose is direct and straightforward, there's little character development, but really, that's not the point of a tale such as this. You're in a museum, at night, locked in with a ravenous beast that will eat your brain. At such times, it's not literary quality that you're thinking about.
  williemeikle | Dec 22, 2018 |
En 1986, en plena selva amazónica, un grupo de científicos encuentra la talla de un enigmático dios adorado por una tribu de salvajes. El extraño ídolo es enviado a Nueva York, donde queda arrumbado en los sótanos de un enorme y antiguo museo. Poco después, los científicos son masacrados por los indígenas y todo el proyecto cae en el olvido. Sin embargo, con ocasión de una importante exposición, las sinuosas galerías y los vetustos subsuelos del museo se convierten en escenario de varios asesinatos horrendos e inexplicables... Un mundo de maldiciones y pesadillas ancestrales instalado en el corazón del Nueva York actual. The Relic ha sido adaptado al cine en una película del productor de Alien y del creador de los efectos especiales de Parque Jurásico.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Colacci, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human....

But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who--or what--is doing the killing But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

In New York, there has been a rash of murders in the Museum of Natural History and the perpetrator turns out to be a monstrous reptile from South America. The beast strikes at a gala opening, and an FBI agent and a woman scientist race to capture it before it eats everyone in sight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,357,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible