Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) by Douglas…

Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:HunyBadger
Title:Relic (Pendergast, Book 1)
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Tor Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:**
Tags:thriller, Pendergast, New York, 2012

The Relic by Douglas Preston (1995)

adventure (23) Agent Pendergast (26) anthropology (16) archaeology (22) audiobook (16) crime (13) ebook (19) FBI (16) fiction (258) horror (189) monster (15) monsters (14) murder (17) museum (27) museums (23) mystery (147) New York (45) New York City (20) novel (16) own (14) paperback (16) Pendergast (88) Preston & Child (16) read (59) science fiction (62) series (26) supernatural (17) suspense (85) thriller (207) to-read (53)

English (62)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (70)
The book was nowhere as good as the synopsis made me believe. However...it's a series and I've purchased many of the books...so here is hoping it gets better! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Crazy monsters stalking the basement of the NYC library - great fun!
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
"Impressive New Old book”
Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why? Yes, I would recommend this audiobook to any mystery-thriller reader. In fact, this book was recommended to me by my brother and I greatly appreciate the recommendation as this is a series I will continue to read/listen to in the future.

Who was your favorite character and why? Margo Green as an inexperience investigator who has to put the pieces together, and is a doctoral candidate working in a museum in which people are being killed, so along with her advisor she works to put the pieces together as to what is killing people and why. Even though this book was an introduction into the Pendergast character I felt the star of this book was Margo.

What about David Colacci’s performance did you like? David did an amazing job at making each character separate from other by the way he inflicts his voice and adds accents to those who in reality would have an accent i.e. Pendergast and one of the museum curators.

If you were to make a film of this book, what would the tag line be? A mystery, an enigma, and serial killer lurking in the shadows, come and enjoy the museum exhibits at your own risk. ( )
  nursewidener | Nov 25, 2013 |
From the start I had the idea that I have read this novel before. I probably borrowed it years ago from the library when I first got interested in the horror genre.

I really like this novel. It's fast-paced yet it does a good job at expaining the technical stuff and even if you don't understand it (all) it doesn't make you understand the story less.

It is very clear which are the good, bad and ambiguous characters. I loved Agent Pendergast and I am certainly going to read more novels he is featured in.

Some people noted that it was gory, but I didn't think so. Sure there are horrible murders but when they are described in a way and in a setting (often in the morgue) where it doesn't feel as if those details are just added for the sensational factor. They are stated as something the beast is capable of.

My only complaint is that there are so many characters that they aren't worked out that well. Some are characatures of the job they have (Smithback as journalist). Hopefully in the next books of the Pendergast series the recurring characters are fleshed out more. ( )
  Rumpeltje | Sep 22, 2013 |
A decent book in the technothriller vein and the introduction to Special Agent Pendergast. This book takes place in the city of Mew York during on of the strangest museum galas in history. And one of the guests eats people...

This is not the best book in the series, but it is the place to start. ( )
  D.ElaineCalderin | Aug 23, 2013 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

When a team of archaeologists is savagely massacred in the Amazon Basin, all that survives are several boxes of relics and plant specimens. From boat to boat, from port to port, the battered crates drift. They finally reach New York City — only to be locked away in the basement of a museum, lost and forgotten.

But the black heart of the Amazon never forgets. Just days before the Museum's massive new exhibition opens, someone or something other than tourists and school children is roaming the echoing halls and dusty galleries. And people are turning up savagely murdered.

Forensic evidence points to a killer of terrifying strength and ferocity. Rumors of a "Museum Beast," never far from the surface, rise again among the Museum staff. But then Margo Green, a graduate student working in the Museum, uncovers a link between the killings, the failed Amazonian expedition, and an odd figurine that will be displayed for the first time. Will she be able to put the pieces together and stop the deadly menace before terror strikes again?

Relic is Margo's race against time and death and an enemy so horrifying that she must find the strength within herself to destroy it and save the Museum from disaster.

Days before a massive exhibition at the New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being murdered. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human. The museum's directors decide to go ahead with the bash in spite of the murders. Now museum researcher Margo Green must find out who or what is doing the killing. Does she have time to stop a massacre?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible