Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) by Douglas…

Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:HunyBadger
Title:Relic (Pendergast, Book 1)
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Tor Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:**
Tags:thriller, Pendergast, New York, 2012

Relic by Douglas Preston (1995)

English (70)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (78)
Awesome! It was action packed from the very beginning. I absolutely love how Preston & Child can make a book move so quickly. They are excellent authors. It was awesome how they were able to incorporate their time spent at the New York Museum of Natural History into such an awesome story. I was able to see each area in my mind due to their amazing descriptions. I think that's why I enjoy Preston, and now Child, as authors. I love when authors are able to create such a stunning mental image that you can really put yourself there. This is a great book! ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
My first book by these 2 authors and I am hooked. I liked the way the Natural History museum was where the story took place because it also went into the history of some of the artifacts, tribes, etc were involved and intertwined that nicely throughout the book. It was a difficult book to put down and the last 200 pages are impossible to put down. I can't wait to read the sequel.
  Diane_K | Jul 14, 2015 |
This was a great read! Creepy, suspenseful, scientific and fast paced. I gobbled this up and can't wait to sink my teeth into the next one. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
A brutal creature from the jungles of the South America has come to inhabit the deep recesses under the American Museum of Natural History, and mayhem abounds.

I can appreciate a thriller about marauding monsters, but why do the human characters in such books often turn out to be such cartoons? The human villains are greedy one-notes, and the good guys are unappreciated for their heroism until all see the world finally hinges on them. Hey, here's an idea: instead of having cookie-cutter cops inhabit a monster-book, bring on a ghostwriter like Richard Price or George Pelicans to write the police characters. Wouldn't it be interesting to witness the cops from The Wire confront a situation of a monstrous beast in the city's sewers?

I also rolled my eyes at the "science" portrayed in the book, which seemed quite absurd, until . . .

This is a book you have to read to the very end. I was ready to put it down once everything had seemed to resolve itself, but an Epilogue is tacked on at the end. And the Epilogue did a good job of redeeming much of the text for me.

And while the Epilogue's "science" certainly is also greatly implausible, it added a new twist to everything that had gone before. The Epilogue gained the book a star in my review. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
This one is a re-read for me. I read the book right after the movie came out because I loved the film so much. I found Chuck Palahniuk and Thomas Harris the same way. Fight Club and Silence of the Lambs were both movies I had no idea were originally books. As with most film adaptations, the books were much better. Which brings me to Relic. Not only is the book better than the movie, but it makes the movie look stupid by comparison.

Note: I still LOVE the movie, so I don't say that lightly.)

What Relic does well is blending the impossible with the possible. Though I'm a layman, Preston and Child come off as if they know what they're doing. They suspended my disbelief with an adept hand. If they made it all up, cool beans. At least it sounded plausible. And please don't comment about how far-fetched the monster or story is. I'm simply saying, I believed in the fiction enough that I could enjoy the story.

The review blurb on the front of the book states: "Far above Crichton's Jurassic Park." To me, this is truth, but only because of my literary tastes. Jurassic Park was another movie I watched before seeking out the book. I disliked Crichton's novel,though, feeling the movie was much better. Don't get your knickers twisted, as this is simply my own subjective opinion. Honestly, I probably liked Relic more because of the horror elements, which were handled very well, leaving a great deal to the imagination.

What I respect the most about Relic is the ending. Preston and Child manage to maintain tension for well over a hundred pages. I breezed through this book, as every chapter-ending left me wanting to move on. In fact, I think this is the quickest I've ever read a book of this length - 468 pages in only four days. I'm a slow reader. Don't judge me. :P

I'm reading the sequel, Reliquary, next. I will review when I'm done.

E.

(P.S. I forgot to explain why I gave it four stars. The writing is very matter-of-fact and often repetitious, sometimes even banal. Preston and Child have certain words and phrases they love, and you can tell. Oh, and another very minor thing that bothered was that everyone in the book not only had a fondness for saying "Chrissakes," but they also all said it the exact same way. The story, though, makes up a great deal for all the little things I didn't like.) ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, LincolnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

When a team of archaeologists is savagely massacred in the Amazon Basin, all that survives are several boxes of relics and plant specimens. From boat to boat, from port to port, the battered crates drift. They finally reach New York City — only to be locked away in the basement of a museum, lost and forgotten.

But the black heart of the Amazon never forgets. Just days before the Museum's massive new exhibition opens, someone or something other than tourists and school children is roaming the echoing halls and dusty galleries. And people are turning up savagely murdered.

Forensic evidence points to a killer of terrifying strength and ferocity. Rumors of a "Museum Beast," never far from the surface, rise again among the Museum staff. But then Margo Green, a graduate student working in the Museum, uncovers a link between the killings, the failed Amazonian expedition, and an odd figurine that will be displayed for the first time. Will she be able to put the pieces together and stop the deadly menace before terror strikes again?

Relic is Margo's race against time and death and an enemy so horrifying that she must find the strength within herself to destroy it and save the Museum from disaster.

Days before a massive exhibition at the New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being murdered. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human. The museum's directors decide to go ahead with the bash in spite of the murders. Now museum researcher Margo Green must find out who or what is doing the killing. Does she have time to stop a massacre?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,500,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible