Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) by Douglas…

Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:HunyBadger
Title:Relic (Pendergast, Book 1)
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Tor Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:**
Tags:thriller, Pendergast, New York, 2012

Relic by Douglas Preston (1995)

English (86)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (94)
3.5 stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |

“What we have here is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.”

When I was a young horror-watching gal, I used to watch Relic. I didn’t know it was based on a book, but I enjoyed its fun monster movie gimmicks set in a conveniently too-dark museum. The past few years I’ve seen mention of these authors, and even had an unread book of theirs donning my shelves, yet I knew nothing about them. I wasn’t sure if they wrote horror, mystery, but knew I’d figure it out eventually. (edited to note – I still don’t know their genre really – horror/mystery/thriller??) Now fast forward to this year, after I bought a lot more of their books from a friend, where I was finally spurred on by a group read, where everyone was digging into Relic, and now here we finally are.

If you were like me and had seen the movie but not read the book, expect big differences. Murders occur at the New York Museum of Natural History before a major opening exhibit, prompting the arrival of the local detective D’Agosta. When more bodies pop up, enter the FBI agent Pendergast. It slowly becomes clear to the characters that more than a mere man is responsible for these monstrosities. Half the book is mystery trying to figure the culprit; the other half is figuring out how to best the beast and escape with their lives.

Despite being a fascinating story, the book does produce dull moments, especially in the first quarter. It keeps picking up, however, and proved to be a surprisingly quick read at 473 pages. The slightly sedate pace worked well to develop the right kind of atmosphere for a creepy tale. The close wraps up the book with a wallop ending I didn’t see coming.

I’d heard about what a great character Pendergast is – and he proved to be all that and more (except my misgivings about big game hunting stories). He takes a while to come on board, but meanwhile detective D’Agosta is an unexpected delight who steals the page-time just as hard. Margo as the main character is serviceable but nothing special.

Thanks to the characters we have humor, but thanks to the writers we have a dark book that’s hard to put down. You can almost feel the shadows closing in when reading this one. Tense scenes are riveting, I may have chewed a fingernail or two. The monster is a creepy villain who manages to stay creepy even when he’s not on scene. It’s not particularly bloody, but it’s violent when needed. Mystery is strong as I figured things out slowly along with the other characters. A good thing about intellectual mumbo-jumbo like this is I can’t fully pre-guess what’s going to happen since I can’t fully grasp it in the first place!

The ending leaves the book open for a sequel. Once you close the page you’re already ready for more. Despite some slower areas and a little academically dry dribble, this was an excellent start to a series I plan to continue.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
yummy monster story! couldn't put it down during the last 3rd .... people stuck in the museum w the scary scary monster!! Juicy ... the people to the monster, and the book too! ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
The story takes place in the New York Museum of Natural History. The Museum has seen declining numbers in recent years and is in need of new funds. The people in charge decide to open a major exhibit entitled "Superstition" to build public interest and support. Days before the exhibit opens a brutal murder is committed. The body has been mutilated in a very peculiar way that suggests the killer isn't human. Leading the police investigation is Lt. Vincent D'Agosta. D'Agosta wants to shut the museum down, but his superiors and museum officials oppose the idea. Instead things proceed as though nothing is wrong until another murder occurs. Some wish the exhibit to be closed until the killer is captured, but museum officials continue to push to allow the exhibit to open as planned. A special FBI agent from out of state, Pendergast, arrives on the scene and begins working with museum researcher Margo Green and Lt. D'Agosta in an attempt to uncover the real killer and decipher what their motive is.

"The Relic" was the first novel by Preston and Child and they use it to introduce one of the more fascinating characters I have ever encountered,, Aloysius X. L. Pendergast, a modern-day American version of Sherlock Holmes. I found the character of Pendergast to be fascinating. And the monster? Well you only need one good monster to sell a story and this book has a great one. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Nothing is better than a scary, suspenseful novel by great storytellers. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child ratchet up the scare factor with gory descriptions, unbelievable scenarios where the hero(s) are needed to step up and assist, and a fantastical storyline. The pages just kept flipping until the very end. ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 31, 2016 |
En 1986, en plena selva amazónica, un grupo de científicos encuentra la talla de un enigmático dios adorado por una tribu de salvajes. El extraño ídolo es enviado a Nueva York, donde queda arrumbado en los sótanos de un enorme y antiguo museo. Poco después, los científicos son masacrados por los indígenas y todo el proyecto cae en el olvido. Sin embargo, con ocasión de una importante exposición, las sinuosas galerías y los vetustos subsuelos del museo se convierten en escenario de varios asesinatos horrendos e inexplicables... Un mundo de maldiciones y pesadillas ancestrales instalado en el corazón del Nueva York actual. The Relic ha sido adaptado al cine en una película del productor de Alien y del creador de los efectos especiales de Parque Jurásico.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human....

But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who--or what--is doing the killing But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

Days before a massive exhibition at the New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being murdered. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human. The museum's directors decide to go ahead with the bash in spite of the murders. Now museum researcher Margo Green must find out who or what is doing the killing. Does she have time to stop a massacre?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible