Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) by Douglas…

Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:HunyBadger
Title:Relic (Pendergast, Book 1)
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Tor Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:**
Tags:thriller, Pendergast, New York, 2012

Relic by Douglas Preston (1995)

English (90)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  French (1)  English (98)
One of the few thrillers I have enjoyed both on the page and on the screen. ( )
  tmusso | Nov 25, 2016 |

This book is a very fast and entertaining read. Apart for occasionally too detailed depictions of characters' actions, it is more than a good way to have fun.

The whole series is named after a character who doesn't have a leading role in this story. Pendergast is neither a central nor minor character here. There isn't a character you could say he or she is a major character in the novel. Aloysius Pendergast and Margo Green and to a lesser degree NYPD Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta, Dr. Frock and a journalist William Smithback are the ones who each in their own way help to find the truth behind the present killings and museum's past. Still, even though Pendergast isn't as prominent here as I would like, I am glad it's his series. I want to read more about him since you get only crumbs and teasers here (his past, his wife and so on).

The lack of romance worked so well here. I like that Margo Green is written as a ordinary woman, someone who is neither weak nor some kick-ass heroine. Margo could be anyone. She is completely normal, she can't really keep a secret, she gets scared. Pendergast and Margo do end up together fighting for their lives, but that's it. If anything romantic happens in later books, it doesn't matter.

I like that Smithback is a real character, not some caricature of a journalist only after a story. He does want it, but not at any cost. The Mayor is another character who is not presented as your usual politician.
The red tape, bureaucrats and too ambitious agents form a antagonistic knot the main characters have to entangle to get to the truth. They are a bit one-dimensional, but since the story itself is really good, it doesn't ruin it.

The reason this book is labelled horror among other things is well written and the explanation for the killings and the origin of a strange figurine are not unbelievable. It touches the ordinary things and science just close enough to make a great story.

While the book doesn't end in cliffhanger, its epilogue leaves an opening of bad things to come. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I enjoyed the story. It was very suspenseful and atmospheric. I guess I should have just read this one though, instead of listening to the audio. It lost some points for the echo chambers and voice effects. They are very annoying. ( )
  bookymouse | Oct 17, 2016 |
I loved this book to death. The characters, the story line, the twists and turns. I loved it. I have continued to read further into this series and they have become my guilty little pleasure books, they end up being fun and quick reads for me and they never fail to disappoint me with some new twist or turn. This series is full of surprises. ( )
  jadorelecafe | Aug 10, 2016 |
En 1986, en plena selva amazónica, un grupo de científicos encuentra la talla de un enigmático dios adorado por una tribu de salvajes. El extraño ídolo es enviado a Nueva York, donde queda arrumbado en los sótanos de un enorme y antiguo museo. Poco después, los científicos son masacrados por los indígenas y todo el proyecto cae en el olvido. Sin embargo, con ocasión de una importante exposición, las sinuosas galerías y los vetustos subsuelos del museo se convierten en escenario de varios asesinatos horrendos e inexplicables... Un mundo de maldiciones y pesadillas ancestrales instalado en el corazón del Nueva York actual. The Relic ha sido adaptado al cine en una película del productor de Alien y del creador de los efectos especiales de Parque Jurásico.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human....

But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who--or what--is doing the killing But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

Days before a massive exhibition at the New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being murdered. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human. The museum's directors decide to go ahead with the bash in spite of the murders. Now museum researcher Margo Green must find out who or what is doing the killing. Does she have time to stop a massacre?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,657,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible