Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) by Douglas…

Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:HunyBadger
Title:Relic (Pendergast, Book 1)
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Tor Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:**
Tags:thriller, Pendergast, New York, 2012

Relic by Douglas Preston (1995)

Recently added bydaeverett, EhranV, rnbwpnt, checheney2002, PdRLibrary, veagab, gmkieran, thefirstdark, private library, eppp

English (81)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (89)
This is a fast-paced, intricate and well researched read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I "read" it on Audible, so I have to give some credit to the narrator, who did an outstanding job. But it had me on the edge of my seat and engrossed until the end. Highly recommend. Too bad it looks like the movie they made from it got bastardized a bit. Chicago instead of New York? Come on, New Yorkers. Where's your sense of adventure? ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
The New York Museum of Natural History is only days away from a big opening of a new exhibit, “Superstition”. That opening may be in jeopardy, as a few days beforehand, people are turning up in the bowels of the museum, murdered.

I really liked this, especially the second half. I quite liked the FBI agent Pendergast, as well as some of the other characters. Despite being almost 500 pages, it was fast to read for me and it kept me interested and wanting to keep going. The first half was good, but the second half, especially, picked right up. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 27, 2016 |
This was my introduction to Agent Pendergast and I haven't stopped reading about him yet. With a unique storyline, authors Preston & Child created a character who just keeps growing with each book. Very enjoyable.

Note: This review is done many years after my reading the book so have only a remembrance of some book details...and the knowledge that I liked it enough to continue with the series. ( )
  GGmaSheila | Mar 22, 2016 |
Horribly mutilated bodies are found in the fictional New York museum, and is thought to be the work of a wild animal. Lieutenant Vincent D'Gosta is the detective in charge. He is joined by Special Agent Pendergast from New Orleans. Together with the staff of the museum (including Margo Green, a graduate student specializing in botany; Greg Kawakita, an assistant curator; Dr. Frock, a curator specializing in genetic evolution), they work to not only take down the murderer, but figure out who or what it is.

The Good: Relic is very intriguing and realistic (in a very unlikely way), enough to make you wonder if such an incident was really possible. It can be scary at times, but mostly, just interesting. The main characters are three-dimensional, even if many of the supporting characters seem a little flat. It's fast-paced which is ideal for such a long novel.

The Bad: After reading Brimstone first, I automatically compared this book with their later one. The relationships are practically non-existant in Relic, as well as the characters' emotions. You get the feeling they're anxious, even scared, but there isn't nearly as much development as later on. Also, the book leaving the reader (well, at least, me) feeling a little unsatisfied and confused.

The Side Note: Even if you've seen the movie "The Relic", don't avoid the book. I wasn't a fan of the movie at all, but after reading Brimstone, I decided to give this a try. It's 10 times better than the movie, and different in many, many ways, including the ending. This makes me sad, because I love when good books are adapted into movies. But if the movie is bad enough, it ruins any chances of future film sequels.
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
Not nearly as funny as their later Cabinet of Curiosities.
Also set in the Natural History Museum. An evil idol brought back by anthropologists from the Brazilian rainforest seems to have spawned a dinosaur-man serial killer who's loose in the unmapped subbasements...
A pretty standard, entertaining horror/thriller. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
En 1986, en plena selva amazónica, un grupo de científicos encuentra la talla de un enigmático dios adorado por una tribu de salvajes. El extraño ídolo es enviado a Nueva York, donde queda arrumbado en los sótanos de un enorme y antiguo museo. Poco después, los científicos son masacrados por los indígenas y todo el proyecto cae en el olvido. Sin embargo, con ocasión de una importante exposición, las sinuosas galerías y los vetustos subsuelos del museo se convierten en escenario de varios asesinatos horrendos e inexplicables... Un mundo de maldiciones y pesadillas ancestrales instalado en el corazón del Nueva York actual. The Relic ha sido adaptado al cine en una película del productor de Alien y del creador de los efectos especiales de Parque Jurásico.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human....

But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who--or what--is doing the killing But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

Days before a massive exhibition at the New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being murdered. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human. The museum's directors decide to go ahead with the bash in spite of the murders. Now museum researcher Margo Green must find out who or what is doing the killing. Does she have time to stop a massacre?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,818,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible