Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) by Douglas…

Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:HunyBadger
Title:Relic (Pendergast, Book 1)
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Tor Books (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:**
Tags:thriller, Pendergast, New York, 2012

Relic by Douglas Preston (1995)

English (78)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (86)
Not nearly as funny as their later Cabinet of Curiosities.
Also set in the Natural History Museum. An evil idol brought back by anthropologists from the Brazilian rainforest seems to have spawned a dinosaur-man serial killer who's loose in the unmapped subbasements...
A pretty standard, entertaining horror/thriller. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
"My dear girl, there are more things in heaven and earth, as Hamlet pointed out. It isn't always for us to speculate. Sometimes we must simply observe."
-Dr. Frock
This is one scary, creepy monster story. The New York Museum of Natural History is getting ready to unveil the Superstition exhibition and with the recent killings, the staff are all on edge. The police & FBI are looking for a serial killer, but Margo (a graduate student) and Dr. Frock (her adviser) have found signs that the killer may not actually be human.

So, I have been trying to catch up on reading the ebooks that have been sitting on my kindle for months. This was one of them. I originally bought it because I read other books by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child that I really enjoyed. But I was so caught up in the world of Young Adult series that I forgot about some of the adult books I had.

This book had me up several nights until the wee hours of the morning. I was very anxious to see what would happen; who would live and who would die. What would D'Agosta (the hard boiled NYPD officer) and Pendergast (the composed FBI agent) do when they finally realized what was actually behind all the killings? And how were the administrators of the museum involved in this whole mess?

I was a bit disappointed by the ending. It ended too fast for me. I'm not sure how it could be done better. Maybe it couldn't. But I guess after all the suspense and build up, I was looking for a more satisfying ending. Overall, I found this book thrilling and scary and creepy. It was great.

Recommended to:
Anyone who enjoys creepy horror thrillers with monsters.
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |

This book is a very fast and entertaining read. Apart for occasionally too detailed depictions of characters' actions, it is more than a good way to have fun.

The whole series is named after a character who doesn't have a leading role in this story. Pendergast is neither a central nor minor character here. There isn't a character you could say he or she is a major character in the novel. Aloysius Pendergast and Margo Green and to a lesser degree NYPD Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta, Dr. Frock and a journalist William Smithback are the ones who each in their own way help to find the truth behind the present killings and museum's past. Still, even though Pendergast isn't as prominent here as I would like, I am glad it's his series. I want to read more about him since you get only crumbs and teasers here (his past, his wife and so on).

The lack of romance worked so well here. I like that Margo Green is written as a ordinary woman, someone who is neither weak nor some kick-ass heroine. Margo could be anyone. She is completely normal, she can't really keep a secret, she gets scared. Pendergast and Margo do end up together fighting for their lives, but that's it. If anything romantic happens in later books, it doesn't matter.

I like that Smithback is a real character, not some caricature of a journalist only after a story. He does want it, but not at any cost. The Mayor is another character who is not presented as your usual politician.
The red tape, bureaucrats and too ambitious agents form a antagonistic knot the main characters have to entangle to get to the truth. They are a bit one-dimensional, but since the story itself is really good, it doesn't ruin it.

The reason this book is labelled horror among other things is well written and the explanation for the killings and the origin of a strange figurine are not unbelievable. It touches the ordinary things and science just close enough to make a great story.

While the book doesn't end in cliffhanger, its epilogue leaves an opening of bad things to come. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
This is my first Preston and Child book and it was quite the romp. First of all, there was the fun of meeting several irritating characters (museum mucky-mucks) that I later hoped would die. Then there was a slow build-up to the suspenseful disaster/killing spree.

Part of the interest for me was the setting in the natural history museum in New York, but I definitely needed to suspend my disbelief a number of times (more than I prefer).

I listened to the audio by David Colacci, and was briefly put off by the large variety of strong accents, but later appreciated it. There are a lot of conversations with multiple people that could have been tough to follow without the clear identification of accents.
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Just OK. It was very slow to start but I enjoyed the end. Not sure I'll rush to try more though. ( )
  infjsarah | Dec 6, 2015 |
En 1986, en plena selva amazónica, un grupo de científicos encuentra la talla de un enigmático dios adorado por una tribu de salvajes. El extraño ídolo es enviado a Nueva York, donde queda arrumbado en los sótanos de un enorme y antiguo museo. Poco después, los científicos son masacrados por los indígenas y todo el proyecto cae en el olvido. Sin embargo, con ocasión de una importante exposición, las sinuosas galerías y los vetustos subsuelos del museo se convierten en escenario de varios asesinatos horrendos e inexplicables... Un mundo de maldiciones y pesadillas ancestrales instalado en el corazón del Nueva York actual. The Relic ha sido adaptado al cine en una película del productor de Alien y del creador de los efectos especiales de Parque Jurásico.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles Crumby - D.P.

To Luchie, who came along for the ride. And in memory of Nora and Gaga - L.C.
At noon, the clouds clinging to the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human....

But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who--or what--is doing the killing But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

Days before a massive exhibition at the New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being murdered. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human. The museum's directors decide to go ahead with the bash in spite of the murders. Now museum researcher Margo Green must find out who or what is doing the killing. Does she have time to stop a massacre?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible