The ten-cent plague : the great comic-book…

The ten-cent plague : the great comic-book scare and how it changed…

by David Hajdu

Before reading this, I was completely unaware of the hysteria that surrounded comic books in the 40s and 50s. From pulpits, the Senate floor, and statehouses around the country, serious efforts were made to control what people could write, draw, and read - and often met with success.
Book burnings were a regular occurrence where schoolchildren were "encouraged" to participate.
These nannies have been with us since someone first scrawled a drawing on a cave wall.
Whether it's opposition to "vulgarity" or politically correct speech codes on campuses, we clearly need to be vigilant and push back---- hard!
The one downside to this book was that it was somewhat repetitive. I felt that points were sometimes made and then hammered on for a bit too long. ( )
  Scarchin | Apr 13, 2015 |
I started this and really liked it, but kept getting distracted, so I'm moving it back to the to-read list. Will dig in again when things settle down around here.
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
When I was a kid, occasionally I would be allowed to look at my father's old copies of Mad magazine, which I thought were cool, but weird, all the way back to the very first ten or so. Most of the references eluded me, and after reading this book, I largely understand why. Hadju's book is a fascinating examinatioN of a period which I didn't know much about, but which now seems almost a quaint relic of a bygone world. ( )
1 vote Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
A fascinating topic, but the book just didn't grab me. For one, I wish there had been more illustrations beyond the few plates of b&w photographs. And while the author was trying to put the comic-book scare into the context of the times (1940s & 50s in the U.S.), it was too much dry detail for me. I first learned about the comics code while reading Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, a much more readable (and yes, fictional) introduction to the world of comic books & their creators. ( )
  sharwass | Apr 27, 2013 |
  sharwass | Apr 25, 2013 |
“The Ten-Cent Plague” is a worthy addition to the canon of comic-book literature: a super effort, if not a superduper one.
added by lquilter | editNew York Times, Ron Powers (pay site) (Mar 23, 2008)

David Hajduprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, SusanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jake, Torie and Nate
Sawgrass Village, a tidy development about twenty-five miles east of Jacksonville, Florida, is named for the wild marsh greenery that its turf lawns displaced.
Comic books, not rock-and-roll, created the generation gap. They also spawned juvenile delinquency, crime, sexual deviance, and things of unspeakable depravity. Long before Elvis appeared on Ed Sullivan from the waist up, long before Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin, long before James Dean yelled, “You’re tearing me apart,” teachers, politicians, priests, and parents were lining up across from comic-book publishers, writers, artists, and children at bonfires and Senate hearings decrying the evil that was the ten-cent plague.
David Hajdu’s The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How It Changed America comprises the last book in an informal trilogy about American popular culture at mid-century, and radically revises common notions of popular culture, the generation gap, and the divide between “high” and “low” art.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374187673, Hardcover)

Amazon Significant Seven, March 2008: I may be alone here, but when I read Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, a whole strata of American artists came to life for me. Ever since then I've been waiting for a book like David Hajdu's The Ten-Cent Plague to come along and show me the contours of this world. Anyone who remembers Positively 4th Street will recognize in this new book Hajdu's peerless ability to weave first-person recollections with an acute perspective of America at a pivotal moment in its cultural timeline. The rise of comics as a mode of expression, an outlet for entertainment, and, rather tragi-comically, as a target for censorship, couldn't be more compelling in anyone else's hands. In deft narrative strokes Hajdu creates a colorful, character-driven story of our first real--and lasting--counterculture (if the burgeoning popularity of graphic novels is any indication) and shows why we embrace it still.--Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

In the years between World War II and the emergence of television as a mass medium, American popular culture as we know it was first created--in the pulpy, boldly illustrated pages of comic books. No sooner had this new culture emerged than it was beaten down by church groups, community bluestockings, and a McCarthyish Congress--only to resurface with a crooked smile on its face in Mad magazine.-- From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,949,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible