The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book…

The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America (edition 2008)

by David Hajdu (Author)

Member:MsCellophane
Title:The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America
Authors:David Hajdu (Author)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2008), Hardcover, 434 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:non-fiction

The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America by David Hajdu

I loved reading comic books when I was a kid (mid to late 70s), but the ones I read were actually "comic" - stuff like Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, the Beagle Boys, and Bugs Bunny. Still, I remember my mom making comments that comics were looked down upon - although she had no problem with what I read - so I knew something had happened, which is why I thought this might be interesting. This is mostly about "crime" comics, which sound pretty bad even by the standards of the people who were making them. Superhero comics are covered a bit, too, (I still have a few of those, but they weren't my favorites), "romance" comics, and MAD Magazine (I read it at the grocery store but rarely bought it - it was just a little too crass), but I just didn't find the book very interesting and ended up skimming much of the last half. ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
In The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America, David Hajdu argues, "Though they were not traitors, the makers of crime, romance, and horror comics were propagandists of a sort, cultural insurgents. They expressed in their lurid panels, thereby helping to instill in their readers, a disregard for the niceties of proper society, a passion for wild ideas and fast action, a cynicism toward authority of all sorts, and a tolerance, if not an appetite, for images of prurience and violence. In short, the generation of comic-book creators whose work died with the Comics Code helped give birth to the popular culture of the postwar era" (pg. 330). Hajdu traces the moral panic from the medium's origin prior to World War II, through early objections during the war, and into the widespread condemnation that culminated in Fredric Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent and the Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency. His sources include the comics themselves; interviews with comics writers, artists, and publishers; articles objecting to them in newspapers, magazines, and church bulletins; and the transcripts of the Senate committees that condemned them. While others have written similar histories, notably Amy Kiste Nyberg in Seal of Approval: The History of the Comics Code, Hajdu writes an all-encompassing cultural history that examines the Great Comic-Book Scare from nearly all angles while still remaining readable to a lay audience. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Oct 30, 2016 |
Before reading this, I was completely unaware of the hysteria that surrounded comic books in the 40s and 50s. From pulpits, the Senate floor, and statehouses around the country, serious efforts were made to control what people could write, draw, and read - and often met with success.
Book burnings were a regular occurrence where schoolchildren were "encouraged" to participate.
These nannies have been with us since someone first scrawled a drawing on a cave wall.
Whether it's opposition to "vulgarity" or politically correct speech codes on campuses, we clearly need to be vigilant and push back---- hard!
The one downside to this book was that it was somewhat repetitive. I felt that points were sometimes made and then hammered on for a bit too long. ( )
  Scarchin | Apr 13, 2015 |
I started this and really liked it, but kept getting distracted, so I'm moving it back to the to-read list. Will dig in again when things settle down around here.
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
When I was a kid, occasionally I would be allowed to look at my father's old copies of Mad magazine, which I thought were cool, but weird, all the way back to the very first ten or so. Most of the references eluded me, and after reading this book, I largely understand why. Hadju's book is a fascinating examinatioN of a period which I didn't know much about, but which now seems almost a quaint relic of a bygone world. ( )
1 vote Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
“The Ten-Cent Plague” is a worthy addition to the canon of comic-book literature: a super effort, if not a superduper one.
added by lquilter | editNew York Times, Ron Powers (pay site) (Mar 23, 2008)

David Hajduprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, SusanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jake, Torie and Nate
Sawgrass Village, a tidy development about twenty-five miles east of Jacksonville, Florida, is named for the wild marsh greenery that its turf lawns displaced.
Comic books, not rock-and-roll, created the generation gap. They also spawned juvenile delinquency, crime, sexual deviance, and things of unspeakable depravity. Long before Elvis appeared on Ed Sullivan from the waist up, long before Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin, long before James Dean yelled, “You’re tearing me apart,” teachers, politicians, priests, and parents were lining up across from comic-book publishers, writers, artists, and children at bonfires and Senate hearings decrying the evil that was the ten-cent plague.
David Hajdu’s The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How It Changed America comprises the last book in an informal trilogy about American popular culture at mid-century, and radically revises common notions of popular culture, the generation gap, and the divide between “high” and “low” art.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374187673, Hardcover)

Amazon Significant Seven, March 2008: I may be alone here, but when I read Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, a whole strata of American artists came to life for me. Ever since then I've been waiting for a book like David Hajdu's The Ten-Cent Plague to come along and show me the contours of this world. Anyone who remembers Positively 4th Street will recognize in this new book Hajdu's peerless ability to weave first-person recollections with an acute perspective of America at a pivotal moment in its cultural timeline. The rise of comics as a mode of expression, an outlet for entertainment, and, rather tragi-comically, as a target for censorship, couldn't be more compelling in anyone else's hands. In deft narrative strokes Hajdu creates a colorful, character-driven story of our first real--and lasting--counterculture (if the burgeoning popularity of graphic novels is any indication) and shows why we embrace it still.--Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

In the years between World War II and the emergence of television as a mass medium, American popular culture as we know it was first created--in the pulpy, boldly illustrated pages of comic books. No sooner had this new culture emerged than it was beaten down by church groups, community bluestockings, and a McCarthyish Congress--only to resurface with a crooked smile on its face in Mad magazine.-- From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,747,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible