The House on Fortune Street: A Novel (P.S.)…

The House on Fortune Street: A Novel (P.S.) (edition 2009)

by Margot Livesey

Member:6readers
Title:The House on Fortune Street: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Margot Livesey
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Fiction, England, Suicide

The House on Fortune Street by Margot Livesey

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both A Visit from the Good Squad and The House on Fortune Street follow the often unexpected intricacies of human relationships of a handful of young adults.

I found this to be a fundamentally good book. It tackles important issues with a realistic approach from 4 of the participants' viewpoints. It is a story about relationships (families, friends, and lovers), what can go wrong, and what impact those wrongs can have - directly and indirectly. The only problem I had with this book is that the stories of the four different people tended to involve too much repetition for me. Of course the different people would tell much of the story of their interactions in the same way, so I'm not sure how else it could be written (I'm not a writer!). As a father trying to work through his relationships with his children & partner, I found Livesey's observations, made through her characters, to be often very insightful and sometimes disturbing (especially the situation of a daughter with her dying father). ( )
  oldblack | Aug 17, 2016 |
It seems like a stroke of mutual good luck for Abigail Taylor and Dara MacLeod when they meet while studying at St. Andrews University in Edinburgh, Scotland. Despite their differences, the two young women form a firm and fast friendship and a lasting, unshakable bond. Even years later, they remain such an unlikely pair.

Abigail - an actress who confidently uses her talent both on and offstage - charms everyone she meets, but believes herself immune to love. Dara - a counselor at a crisis center - is convinced that everyone is somehow irrevocably marked by their childhood; she throws herself into romantic relationships with frightening intensity.

Yet now it appears that each woman has finally found "true love". Is this another stroke of luck? Proof that each relationship is a once-in-a-lifetime love? Abigail has apparently found love with her academic boyfriend, Sean, and Dara with a tall, dark violinist named Edward; who quite literally falls at her feet. However, soon after Dara moves into Abigail's downstairs apartment, trouble threatens both relationships, as well as their friendship.

For Abigail, the trouble comes in the form of an anonymous letter, addressed to Sean and accusing Abigail of being unfaithful; for Dara, a reconciliation with her estranged father Cameron - who left the family when Dara was ten - reawakens some very complicated feelings. Through four ingeniously interlocking narratives - Sean's, Cameron's, Dara's, and Abigail's - we gradually come to understand how these characters' lives were shaped by both chance and determination. Whatever the source, there is absolutely no mistaking the veil that falls when tragedy strikes the house on Fortune Street.

I absolutely loved this book. In my opinion, it was a poignant and thought-provoking story - very intelligently and thoughtfully written. For me, this was also a compulsively readable story - one that I just could not put down. It was an interesting and engaging plot, and I needed to know what would happen next. I give The House on Fortune Street: A Novel by Margot Livesey an A+! and must say, that while this is the first book by this author that I've read, it most certainly won't be my last. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Dec 4, 2014 |
This book is very well done. The structure is unique - it's a novel but reads almost like connected short stories as, beyond the first section, each following section offers a different character's perspective. The book deals with a few heavy subject matters and certainly will not be to everyone's taste. In fact, I think this is one of those books that people will either love or hate - no in between. I feel that Livesey writes very well about love, marriage, fidelity and trust. and has created a strong novel that makes you think. ( )
  Booktrovert | Apr 5, 2013 |
Wasn't completely hooked at the beginning - I was thrown off because the book starts with Sean's section, whereas the flap copy made it seem like the friendship between the two girls, Dara and Abigail, was central - but I got more interested partway through Sean's section, and I loved Cameron's, Dara's, and Abigail's. The four sections, from four different points of view (with no switching back and forth, but pieces falling into place and making sense throughout), give the reader to understand how impossible it is to understand other people - what hidden things go on in their lives, the deep currents of feeling that are invisible, unguessable, mystifying. I can already tell I will forget, to some extent, the twists and turns of the story and the characters' relationships, and I will enjoy re-reading it sometime in the future.

What I came to understand was that there is a level of pain that destroys a person. If you take enough medicine to avoid that pain, you don't become your old self; you become a drugged zombie. (48)

All that fuss about the tree in the forest, watched or unwatched, was mere wishful thinking. If a passionately concerned participant made no difference, why on earth should a detached observer? (176)

This was another kind of magical thinking she had learned was common. When she wasn't keeping ill fortune at bay by imagining crises, she was doing her best to attract good fortune by pretending it was already present. (181)

"Secrecy isn't always a lie. People talk nowadays as if there are no taboos, as if everyone should act on their feelings, but what if you have the wrong feelings, what are you meant to do then?" (Cameron to Dara, 227)

"It doesn't matter how stupid the reasons are, if you're in the grip of a feeling it isn't stupid. You can't imagine it will ever change." (Dara to Abigail, 265)

JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Interesting tidbits, but, ultimately, the interlocking narratives didn't work for me. ( )
  sly_wit | Mar 29, 2013 |
The letter came, deceptively, in the kind of envelope a businesslike friend, or his supervisor, might use.

It seems like mutual good luck for Abigail Taylor and Dara MacLeod when they meet at university and, despite their differences, become fast friends. Years later they remain inseparable: Abigail, the actress, allegedly immune to romance, and Dara, a therapist, throwing herself into relationships with frightening intensity. Now both believe they've found "true love." But luck seems to run out when Dara moves into Abigail's downstairs apartment. Suddenly both their friendship and their relationships are in peril, for tragedy is waiting to strike the house on Fortune Street.

Told through four ingeniously interlocking narratives, Margot Livesey's The House on Fortune Street is a provocative tale of lives shaped equally by chance and choice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

Reveals how luck-- good and bad-- plays a vital role in our lives, and how the search for truth can prove a dangerous undertaking.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,180,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible