Ivan the Terrible by Anne Fine

Ivan the Terrible

by Anne Fine

222476,730 (4)None

I was completely enthralled by this book. I found it fun to think about what it would really be like if that situation happened in a school I work in. I think Anne Fine did a great job turning a boy's struggle to fit in into a humorous journey. I loved the character development in the beginning...it gave me a sense of what Boris was thinking the entire time,. ( )
  jcloke | Oct 8, 2009 |
Poor Boris, he is in a real 'pickle.' He's been asked to be a 'chum' and translate for a new classmate. They both speak Russian and Boris is asked to help the new boy adjust to life at St. Edmund's, the civilized school. Before long, Boris realizes that Ivan is really quite nasty and the job of translating is going to be trickier than he had expected. A fine choice for nine to twelve year olds, Ivan the Terriblewon the silver medal in the 2007 Nestlé Children's Book awards.
  storytimestandouts | Aug 26, 2008 |

Ivan doesn't speak English, which is tough on his first day at a new school. So Boris is roped in to translate for him. But then the new boy starts threatening to make slaves out of all his schoolmates. Can Boris keep the teachers happy and Ivan quiet? Suggested level: primary.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,643,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible