The Good Thief by James Buchanan

The Good Thief

by James Buchanan

While the over all story is great, there were a few things about that did sit well with me. One, there is no way Caesar would be engaging in hard fast sex with several broken ribs plus the other damaged he suffered from the attack. The second thing is the hotel where there were given a room on the first floor then we find Caesar climbing the wall up to their room on the second floor. paying attention to details is important! The third thing is that a three year veteran cop who is the don of a cop never thought that his car might be bugged? That was the first thing I thought of..and I am not a cop. As I said, it is a good story. I would even recommend it to friends. ( )
  CotyM | Oct 10, 2015 |
Being a thief, dating a cop might not be a wise choice, but finding stuff you are not supposed to see, in a house, that you broke into, is even worse. Good that Cesar turns to sexy cop Nate who is reluctantly willing to help Cesar. It's a bit of a shame that both characters look a bit too much like poster boys and their emotions for one another appear to be based on physical attraction only.
And while half of the book consists of sex scenes (a bit over the top) the rest makes for an entertaining read. Great for longer train rides or lazy afternoons. ( )
  Kaysbooks | Jun 22, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the characters, they felt real. I liked that the police officer is just that and not a detective. The pacing was excellent, the plot was interesting, and there was drama and danger. Although the really great peril scene was too early in the relationship so the reaction wasn't the "I'll die without you" kind of stuff I'm addicted to.

The

Pros
The protagonists are very close in age. Yay!!!

Interesting and good observation: "A criminal defense attorney's best advertising: repeat offenders who liked you."

It wasn't instalove. Even when they began to feel it, they were both reticent and fought it because of who the other was.

Doggy! And a cool little doggy at that. A cool, realistic, believable doggie. Love the dog. He's even a small dog that likes water. I've never met one. I liked this part:

The food was downed with beer and a comfortable silence. About a third went under the table for Poncho's benefit. Neither man wanted to admit he was slipping bits to the dog. For his part, Poncho wore a groove between their feet. By the time they finished eating, Poncho had given up and was sprawled on his back sleep. Nate pushed back from the table. "I think we killed him."

"Naw, he's fine." Caesar bumped him with his foot. Phonchito opened one eye then left it drift shut again. "Although I think he ate more than we did."

The protagonists aren't TSTL. One gets brought in for questioning and (very mild spoiler) he brings his lawyer! Smart man. It didn't even occur to me.

Cons
One character is described as having been burned over 95% of his body and surviving. This is rather unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely. I did a bunch of research on this because I was under the impression that once you hit 80% you had little chance of survival, but that's not true. The Baux score is one way doctors predict survival from burns. It doesn't take into account the deepness of the burns and other factors such as smoke inhalation, so it's only about 85% accurate, but it is a good test. You take the percentage of body area burned (95) and add the age of the person (probably around 40 given the age of the other characters). That's 135. It is very unlikely that someone with a Baux score of 130-140 will survive. I just wish he'd make the percentage lower for believability but then, I'm nit-picky and this probably didn't occur to anyone else.

They feed the dog canned food. Not good for dogs. Only feed canned food if the dog has teeth problems, you can't get he/she to eat (then couple it with dry) or you are told by the vet.

Unsafe sex. They don't talk about it, so I suppose it could be one of those details that seemed unnecessary to describe, but it bothered me.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but there was too much sex.

Overall, though, I thought it was a great story, a solid four stars for me. I look forward to reading something else by this author. ( )

The

Pros
The protagonists are very close in age. Yay!!!

The

Pros
The protagonists are very close in age. Yay!!!

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editMrs Condit &Friends, Lucky (Mar 9, 2013)

Working construction provides Caesar with a great way to cover up his real job; stealing whatever he can get his hands on. Which is why the guy he has a fling with could be really bad for business. Nate is a cop, and Caesar worries that he might be tempting fate if he sees Nate again, even if he wants to.

When Caesar discovers something far worse than some petty thievery on one of his jobs, though, he knows he has to report it to Nate, and the two of them try to find a way to keep Caesar safe until he can testify, even as the sparks fly between them. Can Nate protect Caesar and teach him that there are ways to be a good guy as well as a thief?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,136,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible