Tagging: People-Powered Metadata for the…

Tagging: People-Powered Metadata for the Social Web

by Gene Smith

English (7)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (9)
A broad and useful introduction to tagging and how to design for it. Smith covers the field from top down, starting with the general concept of user-contributed metadata on the web and how it relates to centrally produced classification systems. He covers conditions for sensible deployment of tagging, user-experience issues, interface design and even the basics of implementing tagging systems. All in all, I think the book is a great introduction to what interaction designers need to know about tagging when they move into designing collaborative media.
  jonas.lowgren | Aug 9, 2011 |
The book is focused on how to build a tagging system - design choices as well as implementation details. If you're designing a tagging system for a web site, this is probably a good book for you. I was hoping for a more information theory-centric perspective, so I mostly skimmed through this book. ( )
  treak | Feb 14, 2009 |
Clear and comprehensive. ( )
  DonnaCo | Oct 19, 2008 |
I loved the straight forward way in which this book both talks about and illustrates on the topic of tagging ( )
  grantventer | Oct 5, 2008 |
A quick easy read with a very straightforward, lucid presentation. The book was probably more valuable to me for the references to various sites and tools that I was not familiar with. Since I'm not a web designer, the most detailed chapter was lost on me. But to get an overall view of the design decisions to be made and the ways people use tagging, the book was very worthwhile. ( )
  tgraettinger | Jul 31, 2008 |
For Jen, Noah, Avery and Evan

Tagging is fast becoming one of the primary ways people organize and manage digital information. Tagging complements traditional organizational tools like folders and search on users desktops as well as on the web. These developments mean that tagging has broad implications for information management, information architecture and interface design. And its reach extends beyond these technical domains to our culture at large. We can imagine, for example, the scrapbookers of the future curating their digital photos, emails, ticket stubs and other mementos with tags. This book explains the value of tagging, explores why people tag, how tagging works and when it can be used to improve the user experience. It exposes tagging's superficial simplicity to reveal interesting issues related to usability, information architecture, online community and collective intelligence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

"Recent research shows that millions of Web users are tagging - attaching their own metadata to photos, websites, videos, and other online information - every day. These tags are used to share and discover information, track conversations, express identity, and have fun. Tagging is a new form of information management that sits at the boundaries of personal organization, information architecture, and online community. Its widespread adoption over the past few years shows that it's more than a passing trend; it's a newand interesting facet of our digital culture. Tagging explains the value of tagging, explores why people tag, describes how tagging works, and shows designers and developers how they canuse tagging to improve the user experience."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible