Common Wealth: Economics for a Crowded…

Common Wealth: Economics for a Crowded Planet (2008)

by Jeffrey D. Sachs

Excellent! Very readible on what could have been a topic hard to get through. I.e. the writing style is excellent and makes a smooth interesting flow. ( )
  travelster | Dec 6, 2009 |
Addresses through an economic lens the Big Problems - overpopulation, loss of bio-diversity, climate change and chronic poverty - in an articulate and informed and passionate manner. Compelling reading. Read May 2009. ( )
  mbmackay | Jun 13, 2009 |
Jeffrey D. Sachs has written a book arguing for global action in response to global problems. He doesn't make dire predictions for the future, but talks about the implications of problems we are already experiencing.

I think the likelihood of global action is low, but perhaps more ideas like Mr. Sachs' will help increase those odds. ( )
  LynnB | Mar 28, 2009 |
An excellent analysis which provides clear solutions. For most of the book he remains clearheaded and solution oriented. However, I wish he would have ommited most of the last section which is a bit more stary-eyed - especially the last chapter "The Power of One." ( )
  gsatell | Aug 3, 2008 |
Common Wealth makes for a very dense read. It is a very well researched collection of data and statistics detailing the fate of the planet as we go down the road of overpopulation, environmental degradation, and toxic foreign policy. The situation is not presented as a possible scenario, but as a certainty. It’s not entirely bleak; Sachs does offer solutions to the problems that he details. But if the book reads as a listing of dry statistics that’s simply because that’s what it is. The overall tone of the book is pessimistic, as it is overwhelmingly unlikely that our governments will cooperate to take the necessary steps outlined to alleviate our global problems. Having said that, I still recommend it to anyone who is concerned about our survival as a species. ( )
3 vote quilted_kat | May 13, 2008 |
Sachs's book fits what development professionals expect from the latest development guru. It is very convincing about things we know little about, and has a sprinkling of ideas seductively close to ours, for example, on wiping out malaria. As it moves to countries we have worked in, industries we know and technologies we use, it is just wrong.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Times, Peter Griffiths (Mar 30, 2008)

"Sachs smartly describes how we got here, and the path we must take to avert disaster. The director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University and the author of "The End of Poverty,” Sachs is perhaps the best-known economist writing on developmental issues (or any other kind of issues) today. And this is Bigthink with a capital B."

Das 21. Jahrhundert wird viele unserer grundlegenden Annahmen über das Wirtschaftsleben auf den Kopf stellen.

In Common Wealth, Jeffrey D. Sachs-one of the world's most respected economists and the author of The New York Times bestseller The End of Poverty- offers an urgent assessment of the environmental degradation, rapid population growth, and extreme poverty that threaten global peace and prosperity. Through crystalline examination of hard facts, Sachs predicts the cascade of crises that awaits this crowded planet-and presents a program of sustainable development and international cooperation that will correct this dangerous course. Few luminaries anywhere on the planet are as schooled in this daunting subject as Sachs, and this is the vital product of his experience and wisdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:35 -0400)

Assessment of the environmental degradation, rapid population growth, and extreme poverty that threaten global peace and prosperity, with practical solutions based on a new economic paradigm for our crowded planet.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,158,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible