Found (The Missing, Book 1) by Margaret…

Found (The Missing, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Title:Found (The Missing, Book 1)
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Battle of the Books 2009-2010

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix

English (125)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (127)
The Good: Found sort of blew me away, with its amazing premise and promise of even more in the rest of the series. The way things all came together was pure magic. It's not very often when I find myself absolutely shocked - mouth hanging open and eyes wide - at a reveal. This is one of those books that as soon as you finish it you want to go back and reread the buildup again to fully appreciate everything that brought you to this point.

The Bad: Almost the entirety of the book was buildup to the big reveal. While worth it in the end, it would have been very easy to give up on the book a long the way. The events leading up to the end were fantastical and it got to the point where I firmly believed there was no way they could add up to anything coherent in the end. Of course, I was proven wrong, but it's a minor miracle I read long enough to learn that for myself and I fear most readers won't make it until the payoff. ( )
  TequilaReader | Oct 27, 2015 |
A quick, suspenseful read. Time travel that I can actually handle! Woo-hoo! ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
FAN, mystery
  prichter | Aug 4, 2015 |
I was mostly bored throughout this book. When two teenagers get two mysterious letters in the mail, that's where the mystery begins and stays for quite a while. It took a while for the plot to develop, as well for the characters, and there wasn't quite much action. Nothing really interesting happened until towards three fourths of the book. I'll give it credit for some of the reveals that were a bit interesting but that's about the only highlight of the book. One of the issues I had with this book was that I didn't believe the characters to be true portrayals of teenagers. The teens in this book didn't act like middle schoolers. I understand that these were written for a middle school audience but to hold back on a lot of things middle schoolers do, including the language, was a mistake and made the characters seem unrealistic. Not one character even said "crap" or "hell" or any other thing that would remotely make them more relatable. The biggest issue I think was just the writing itself. You can get through this book in one night but only because it's written in a way that isn't challenging at all with straight forward writing that just doesn't think much of the target audience. This book seems like the type of books that middle school teachers give their kids and they're either bored by it, or love it cause it's an easy read and quick to get over with. Overall I was disappointed and really bored, if it wasn't for the few interesting twists and reveals I would have given this book one star. ( )
  alejandro.santana | Jul 31, 2015 |
Oh dear. I had more fun reading this than I expected, or even desired. Normally I don't like adventures, page turners or series... but I got sucked in to this world and now I have to find time to find out what happens next to these delightfully smart and nice kids.

Also: Cincinatti chili - chili served on spaghetti, with chopped onions (I assume yellow) & shredded cheese (I assume cheddar) as garnish. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Gr 4–8—Haddix's latest science fiction series starts off with a bang in this nail-biter. A plane arrives at an airline gate unnoticed by radar and most personnel. There are no flight attendants, no pilot, in fact no adults at all, but there are 36 passengers—each seat is inhabited by an infant. Thirteen years later in Ohio, teenage adoptees Jonah and his friend Chip begin receiving ominous messages declaring that they are among "the missing" and that someone is coming to find them. Frightened yet intrigued, the boys begin a search for their real identities with the help of Jonah's younger sister. Their search leads them to a discovery that strains credulity and leads them into danger greater than they ever imagined possible. The story is driven by an exciting plot rather than extensive character development, and the teens act independently of the adults, who appear as "bad guys" or are basically useless. If used in a classroom, the revelation of the babies' identities can be used to kick off a history lesson or two. This book's exciting premise and cliff-hanger ending will leave readers on the edge of their seats and begging for more.—Heather M. Campbell, Philip S. Miller Library, Castle Rock, CO
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Reed Business Informatin
Starred Review. In a tantalizing opener to a new series, Haddix (the Shadow Children series) taps into a common childhood fantasy—that you are really the offspring of royalty or famous people, and were somehow adopted by an ordinary family—and one-ups it by adding in time travel. As the novel begins, a brand-new airline employee experiences an event that she is later told never to talk about: a plane carrying 36 babies, and no one else, not even a pilot, shows up without warning at a nearby gate. Fast-forward 13 years, and two 13-year-old friends, Chip and Jonah, are receiving mysterious notes, with messages like You are one of the missing and Beware! They're coming back to get you. Only then does Chip learn that he, like Jonah, is adopted. Joined by Jonah's sister, Katherine, the boys investigate and discover that the FBI was involved with their adoptions. These smart kids show initiative and do a great job using familiar technology (camera phones, photo-editing programs, etc.) to get information and track down other adoptees. By book's end they are trapped by some shady characters; learn that they are among the most famous missing children in history (e.g., Virginia Dare, the 15th-century English princes in the Tower); and get sent back in time. Readers will be hard-pressed to wait for the next installment. Ages 8-12. (Apr.)

added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Information
For my brothers
It wasn't there.

Thirteen-year-old Jonah has always known that he was adopted, and he's never thought it was any big deal. Then he and a new friend, Chip, who's also adopted, begin receiving mysterious letters. The first one says, "You are one of the missing." The second one says, "Beware! They're coming back to get you."
Jonah, Chip, and Jonah's sister, Katherine, are plunged into a mystery that involves the FBI, a vast smuggling operation, an airplane that appeared out of nowhere -- and people who seem to appear and disappear at will. The kids discover they are caught in a battle between two opposing forces that want very different things for Jonah and Chip's lives.

Do Jonah and Chip have any choice in the matter? And what should they choose when both alternatives are horrifying?

When thirteen-year-olds Jonah and Chip, who are both adopted, find out that they were discovered on a plane that appeared out of nowhere, full of babies with no adults on board, they realize that they have uncovered a mystery involving time travel and two opposing forces, each trying to capture them.… (more)

36 wanted4 pay5 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible