Night Shift by Lilith Saintcrow

Night Shift

by Lilith Saintcrow

As urban fantasies go, this one was not bad. They all tend to blend into a particular formula, but that's OK. I like a little predictable when I want to read fluff. Night Shift did throw in a few curve balls and that made it all the more interesting. I would recommend the Jill Kismet series to anyone who enjoys a super(naturally) strong female protagonist who kicks serious butt and yet has issues of her own to deal with. ( )
  enemyanniemae | May 21, 2017 |
The real question is, what took me so long to get around to reading this book?

What I Liked
I thought Jill was great. Saintcrow has managed to write an urban fantasy heroine who is confident and independent, yet human. She has also managed to avoid writing an MC who is the kind of bitch you'd never want to work with: you know the type - the kind that makes every personal interaction into some kind of pissing contest, is rude to everyone (but thinks she's funny), and still manages to twist her ankle when the hot guy from Finance comes round...

Jill has friends and colleagues, which is pretty unusual for an urban fantasy heroine; she gets invited out for beer, and she is respected by co-workers. All in all, she comes across as a woman who does a dangerous job well.

Another thing I liked is that Jill gets her ass kicked several times - and she ends up in pain, pissed off, and exhausted. Even though, for magical reasons, she can take more of a kicking than most humans, she doesn't get off scot-free. You don't get the situations where she's beaten up in one scene, and then the next, you'd never know it had happened.

Perry - now, I really wanted to know more about Perry...

The plot moved along at a fair clip, keeping me swept up in events. If this hadn't been such a busy week, I would probably have read this in one or two sittings.

What I Could Have Done With More Of
I would have liked a bit more background on the worldbuilding - what are the hellbreed, where do they come from, and why are they here? That sort of thing. However, I would not regard this as a serious problem: we get enough information to figure out what's going on, and presumably we'll get more background later on in the series (this book's background details mostly dealt with Jill and her history, which is reasonable enough).

Conclusion
I've already bought the Omnibus edition of this series, and I've jumped Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series up my reading list...

This is the new (to me) urban fantasy series I've been looking for for a long time! ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |

“Sometimes you can pick who buys you, and for how much. That's what power really is.”

The story has a lot going on...but it's confusing. Jill is a Hunter, a rare human that fights monsters and hellbreed who walk the earth and sometimes get out of line. Since she's accepted a mark from the master hellbreed of the series, she is tainted but with improved power and survival capacity. The book opens with her grieving her deceased teacher, which is a large part of the current story. Since the killer wasn't caught, I imagine it will play out in most of the books.

Anyway, the body count it wracking up, so Jill and a few werewolves must figure out a strange mystery and work their tails off.

It jumps into action immediately and rarely lets up. The ending wasn't a huge battle - well, it was supposed to be, but with so much action up anyway, the tension level felt the same when the climax finally comes around.

The beginning took awhile to warm up to - I didn't get hooked until after 50 pages, then it was hard to put down.

Jill is similar to Dante, but I like her more so far. She's harsh and hard to take in confrontation - but she seems nice to friends and those who respect her. Like Dante she has a horrible past and is broken.

Perry is deliciously dark - despite my demented side, he's not attractive but he is fascinating. Hard to understand some of the hellbreed structure, though. So much going on, little time taken to explain. I didn't think I'd care much for Saul, but I surprisingly did. I'm curious about some of the stuff developing between him and Jill - hope the author adds a lot of interesting obstacles for them.
I usually dig 3d villains, but the baddie in this one is completely bad and one-dimensional, which surprisingly works for him.

I like the world Saintcrow has created, and her writing rocks, but I don't care for all the excessive cursing. It gets annoying. Blotches of humor are here and there, mainly with food, which adds needed spice to such a dark and brutal story. Actions all over the place, rarely lets up, almost too much so.

Overall an enjoyable, if flawed, intro story to the series. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Synopsis: Jill Kismet is a hunter. Her job is to rid the world of hellbreeds and the Traders with whom they deal. Her teacher and mentor, Mikhail was murdered recently, so she is on her own. Unfortunately, Mikhail suggested that she make a deal with the hellbreed, Percy, for extra strength and magical power; Jill isn't sure this was such a good idea. However, she doesn't have time to worry about this decision since there is some sort of crazed killer on the street attacking cops. She has to work with were animals from the FBI to find out just who the killers are and bring them to justice. One of the Feebs is a were whose sister was murdered; although off to a rocky start, Jill and Sam are attracted to each other.
Review: Although the relationship is quite predictable, the rest of the story is interesting. There is just enough complexity to make the outcome less than a foregone conclusion. ( )
  DrLed | Apr 20, 2016 |
Jill Kismet is a Hunter who stalks weres, hellhounds, and those who make deals with devils. The dialog is poor and the "grittiness" Saintcrow strives for is a hackneyed copy of a copy of noir. However, the battle scenes are toe-curling fun, and the world Saintcrow builds is more interesting than in most paranormalromance/urbanfantasy. I look forward to reading more about the demon that loans Jill power. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
For Nicholas Deangelo, who never asked why.
Cities need people like us, those who go after things the cops can't catch and keep the streets from boiling over.

For Hunter Jill Kismet, taking down Hellbreed and renegade Traders is all in a day's work. Though Jill is frequengly called in to consult with the local police on crimes with a supernatural flavor, the horrific murder of five police officers by what seems to be a rogue Were is only the first in a series of brutal slayings that will test Jill's strength, abilitities, and moral compass. With the help of her Were friends Harper and Dominic, and a new Were fresh of the Rez, Saul Dustcircle, Jill must track the thing stalking her city, survive confrontations with old and insane Hellspawn, and try to keep from losing her already-tainted by Hellbreed soul.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316001783, Mass Market Paperback)

A new heroine hits the hot urban fantasy scene in this spectacular new series about an exorcist by Lilith Saintcrow.

When things go bump in the night, I bump back. Hard.

Every city has a hunter -- someone brave enough, tough enough, and fearless enough to take on the nightside. Santa Luz is lucky. They've got Jill Kismet. With a hellbreed mark on her wrist and a lot of silverjacket ammo, she's fully trained and ready to take on the world.

Except the world isn't the problem. The problem is hellbreed thinking they can run her town, and a clutch of nightmarish murders. It looks like a rogue Were is killing his way through Santa Luz, and he's got help. So does Jill--but help isn't what this new hunter needs. She needs a miracle. But miracles are in short supply. Better stick with more ammo...

Welcome to the Night Shift...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:02 -0400)

Jill Kismet, an exorcist and Hunter trained as a demon slayer, may be in over her head as she takes on a rogue Were with some very powerful hellbreed allies who is killing his way through Santa Luz.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible