Catching Tigers in Red Weather by Andrew…

Catching Tigers in Red Weather

by Andrew Demcak

101880,191 (5)None

"What a deliciously queer & charming book Andrew Demcak has created! These poems are a homage to influences, obsessions, admirations, desires, dreams, wishes, witness, tradition, lived experience and poetic imagination. They come together as conversation, as pillowbook, as memoriam, as a considered response to the noise and cogs of daily living. Demcak shows us the richness and the possibilities that come about when we engage our lives with language & poetry."

— Justin Chin

"From the Singing Nun to a brother's son, from glad hotels to a white palm tree or a half-smoked Marlboro, these surreal couplets continually return us to 'the damp contact of skin, unfathomed.'"

— Dorianne Laux

Andrew Demcak is a poet unafraid of the harrowing, sometimes revelatory nature of modern life. Above all, these poems evoke the moments when people come together, both in violent and romantic ways, and they also train a keen eye on the aftermaths of our partings. Catching Tigers in Red Weather will remind everyone who reads it that beauty and fear come into the world hand-in-hand. Like any significant poetry, it will alter its readers' perspectives forever.

— Kaya Oakes

Andrew Demcak's poems make acrobatic leaps and turns that dizzy and delight me, flashing their urban wit, their old-young wisdom, and their exhilarating range of language and feeling. Demcak's ingenious invention is a compact, elegant form, repeated throughout the book as world after surprising world, under intense pressure, flares within it. This is a book of gems.

— Joan Larkin, Contest Judge ( )
  ad1968 | Jan 11, 2008 |

Andrew Demcak is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,246,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible