Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.
The Hornbook of Virginia History: A Ready-Reference Guide to the Old…
No current Talk conversations about this book.
References to this work on external resources.
Wikipedia in English
Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0884901777, Hardcover)Since 1949, the Hornbook has been the definitive, handy reference guide to Virginia history and culture. Its name derives from the early practice of creating an educational tool for children by mounting printed text on a board and covering it with translucent animal horn. Historians, genealogists, librarians, students, editors, government officials, and citizens seeking to answer questions about the past regularly rely on the Hornbook's comprehensive and authoritative information. Among the book's contents are:
- A concise history of the commonwealth
- Total population figures, 1610-1990
- Lists of all the governors, lieutenant governors, and attorneys general from 1607 to the present
- Brief histories of the counties and cities presently in Virginia along with counties formerly in the commonwealth
- Concise descriptions of famous houses, places of worship, and other historical sites
- Brief histories of the colleges and universities in Virginia.
The Hornbook of Virginia History is a must on the bookshelf of everyone who reads, researches, writes, or cares about Virginia history.
(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:14 -0400)
No library descriptions found.
RatingAverage: No ratings.
Is this you?
Become a LibraryThing Author.